JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Not that I ever heard of and there would be no point, whatsoever.
Machine guns already have a problem burning out barrels.
Why exacerbate the situation ?

With machine guns it's more about "rate of fire".
The WWII German MG42 was one of the fastest ever (1200 RPM).
Called "Hitler's Zipper" because of the sound it made.
I believe our M60 took some design cues from it, but had a slower rate of fire (600 RPM).

Actually the M60 was based on the design of the FG42 not the MG42 .

In the 1960s P. O. Ackley dreamt up the .22 Eargesplitten Loudenboomer with the goal of reaching 5000fps, it was able to achieve 4600fps.

https://blade-city.com/blogs/gun-knife-blog/what-in-the-world-is-a-22-eargesplitten-loudenboomer

Eargesplitten-Loudenboomer-1.jpg

HWU2X62ZBRCXJCE7VWLSRBRHAY.jpg

In the 1960s P. O. Ackley dreamt up the .22 Eargesplitten Loudenboomer with the goal of reaching 5000fps, it was able to achieve 4600fps.

https://blade-city.com/blogs/gun-knife-blog/what-in-the-world-is-a-22-eargesplitten-loudenboomer

View attachment 835272

View attachment 835281
maybe try a 17-50 BMG incinerator. But please pay attention to the date of the article it is kinda old.........

1614633091188.png
1614633111049.png

Last Edited:
One other screamer is the 30-378. Have a good friend that shoots it a LOT and has said playing around has gotten 150ish grain bullets into the 3900fps range. He had a really nice custom built Robar rifle that wouldn't hit the broad side of a barn after 400 rounds. Last time we hunter antelope it was on its 3rd barrel.

One other screamer is the 30-378. Have a good friend that shoots it a LOT and has said playing around has gotten 150ish grain bullets into the 3900fps range. He had a really nice custom built Robar rifle that wouldn't hit the broad side of a barn after 400 rounds. Last time we hunter antelope it was on its 3rd barrel.
30-378 is a "shoot once in a while and brag a lot" chambering.

:)

Ding ding ding!!! I want an AR10 in .220. Show those .223 weenies a thing or two! To think that the Swift was intro'd in 1935. You can get almost 3800 (3780) out of the Rem. .25-06 with Hornady's 75 grain V-Max.

Anyway, I bought a Ruger 77V in the 70s, chambered in .220 Swift. Waaaay back when, shot minute of angle with some ancient cartridges I picked up at a gun show somewhere or other.

Point of fact: the Sierra manual actually showed 4200 fps for their 40 grainer. Can't imagine what Hornady's V-Max 35 grain could be pushed to - only for bragging rights, as the bullet might frag in the air.

Speaking of which, might have been Skeeter or Dick Metcalf, but one of them decided to load up some nuclear light bullet Swift loads. .22 Hornet slugs as I recall. Zero luck varminting with it, as the bullets were fpound to be turning to dust about halfway to the target. Hornet bullets were made for only 2500 fps or so.

Both my 22-250 and my .243 will run to 4000fps with the right loads. It takes like 5000 rds to start loosing accuracy from throat erosion using this hot of a round. Thats one hell of a lot of ammo in a bolt action rifle. And then considering all the ammo you shoot would have to be that hot. So in reality 98% of shooters will never shoot enough super hot ammo to burn out a barrel.

BUT, But, but.....
Superman is/will always be faster. How else is he suppose to continue to claim that he's......

"Faster than a speeding bullet."

Aloha, Mark

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews