JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Met a guy who "seemed" to mostly just ramble on about shooting and reloading various rifles. Most of what he said made enough sense that I just nodded. It was his land and I was invited to go shoot with a buddy. We were testing a few builds. Anyway I hear him start talking about some rifle - sorry I don't know which one - that he loads for and is getting into t he 4K+ FPS. Really? This would have to be something that has been out there for a while and not have a lot of $$$ to get one. I don't load much rifle but it seems most of all my stuff is right around the 3k fPS range. I was thinking that at 4k barrels would last about a day and bullets would be melting. Or I'm just more ignorant than I thought?

Met a guy who "seemed" to mostly just ramble on about shooting and reloading various rifles. Most of what he said made enough sense that I just nodded. It was his land and I was invited to go shoot with a buddy. We were testing a few builds. Anyway I hear him start talking about some rifle - sorry I don't know which one - that he loads for and is getting into t he 4K+ FPS. Really? This would have to be something that has been out there for a while and not have a lot of $$$ to get one. I don't load much rifle but it seems most of all my stuff is right around the 3k fPS range. I was thinking that at 4k barrels would last about a day and bullets would be melting. Or I'm just more ignorant than I thought?
Depends on the cartridge and load I suppose. I've got a.223 load using 34gr FBHPs that's pushing over 4,000 FPS.

Well, don't know what rifle he is using but there are a few rounds that you can push just past 4K (not the greatest accuracy).

.224 Weatherby Magnum comes to mind but the .220 swift would be the most likely one. Although my 35 grain pills in my 22-250 will scorch the earth as they fly over (4285 fps).

I shoot .22 sabots in .308 cases:

Cartridge Data - .308 Winchester

Powder type - IMR-4198/RX7/S-4197/IMR-3031 H322 *Check Manual*

Load Density Charge Weight Velocity Pressure

% GR FPS PSI

75 38.8 3600 34200

80 41.1 3800 38900

85 44.0 4000 43900

90 46.6 4300 49300*

95 49.2 4500 45900*

100 51.8 4800 60900*

Ok, OK. Even though he was on a pretty much steady drip of Bud Light - days on end, as far as I could tell - I guess he may well have been correct. Thanks, As long as I'm here, are there any machine guns designed to go this fast?

As long as I'm here, are there any machine guns designed to go this fast?
Not that I ever heard of and there would be no point, whatsoever.
Machine guns already have a problem burning out barrels.
Why exacerbate the situation ?

With machine guns it's more about "rate of fire".
The WWII German MG42 was one of the fastest ever (1200 RPM).
Called "Hitler's Zipper" because of the sound it made.
I believe our M60 took some design cues from it, but had a slower rate of fire (600 RPM).

Last Edited:
I load the same for a Model Seven but I am only pushing them at a tame 3850 FPS. Body parts start coming off when you hit a coyote.

-E-
NAH just a pain in the neck........ model 788

1003031119a.jpg

Cartridge, caliber .50, saboted light armor penetrator (SLAP), M903This cartridge has a 355 – 360 gr (23.00 – 23.33 g) heavy metal (tungsten) penetrator that is sabot-launched at a muzzle velocity of 4,000 ft/s (1,219 m/s). The 0.50 in (12.7 mm) diameter sabot is designed to separate after leaving the muzzle, releasing the 0.30 (7.62 mm) penetrator. It is injection molded of special high strength plastic and is reinforced with an aluminum insert in the base section. The cartridge is identified by an amber sabot (Ultem 1000). For use only in the M2 series of machine guns. :cool: This round can penetrate 0.75in (19 mm) of steel armor at 1,500 yards (1,400 m).[13]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.50_BMG#Military_cartridge_types

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads