JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If you can, go try some before buying.

My .02:

If you are going to magnify, you have to go with a holographic sight.

1MOA Red dot at 100Y = 1MOA
1MOA Red dot at 100Y + 3x magnifier = 3MOA

1MOA XPS2-0 at 100Y = 1MOA
1MOA XPS2-0 at 100Y + 3x magnifier = 1MOA

I've tried Vortex, Primary arms and Eotech magnifiers, still need to try a holosun/bushnell. Tijicon also makes a micro 3x I believe... From memory, I liked the Primary arms the best for the money... Eotech was better, but not $100's better.

I want to try a PA 6x magnifier next

Does anyone like this set up, I'm thinking a magnifier either with eotech and aimpoint? The scope eye relief is hard for me to get used to...

I have EoTech 552 & Vortex 3x magnifier on 3 different rigs.
It works well out to ~200yds for me.

I found I did NOT like the 5x magnifier.

I had a Vortex Strikefire ll w a Sightmark 3x behind it on an AR. It worked, but took up a LOT of rail estate (see what I did there?) and the glass on the Sightmark was (predictably) less than premium... clear, but didn't transfer light well enough to be used in lower light situations.

The fix for me was to buy a Spitfire (also Vortex) red/green dot 3x sight from a member here... basically the same as before but all-in-one piece, leaving room for a rear BUIS.

There is an Eotech 3x magnifier in the Classifieds section right now, asking $450 IIRC.

The it could be that scopes particular eye relief, but at 3in I have a hard time finding it in different positions. I am near sighted so even at 100 yards w/ red dot I need magnification.

Its still 1 MOA even with a 3x magnifier, both the dot and the target are magnified by 3x.

You say two different things, but you're saying the same thing I did in the end.

The target is magnified to 3MOA, so is the red dot.

The Holographic picture shows the target magnified to 3 moa and the dot still at 1 moa

You say two different things, but you're saying the same thing I did in the end.

The target is magnified to 3MOA, so is the red dot.

The Holographic picture shows the target magnified to 3 moa and the dot still at 1 moa
If the target is magnified and the red dot is magnified its still 1 MOA. In other words if 1 MOA is 1 inch at 100 yards, then saying that the magnifier makes it 3 MOA means its now 3 inches at 100 yards, but it isn't because its still 1 inch.

Ok, then using that logic for arguments sake...

A red dot with a 3x magnifier will give the shooter a sight picture perspective of the target at 3x and the dot at 3x (3 MOA from shooter perspective, on 3 MOA target from shooter perspective = 1 MOA dot)

A holographic with a 3x magnifier will give the shooter a sight picture perspective of the target at 3x and the dot at 1x (1 MOA from shooter perspective, on 3 MOA target from shooter perspective = .333 MOA dot?)

At the end of the day a magnifier will magnify the size of the dot, visually to the shooter. A holographic dot will not change size when magnified.

1602990226848.png

Ok, then using that logic for arguments sake...

A red dot with a 3x magnifier will give the shooter a sight picture perspective of the target at 3x and the dot at 3x (3 MOA from shooter perspective, on 3 MOA target from shooter perspective = 1 MOA dot)

A holographic with a 3x magnifier will give the shooter a sight picture perspective of the target at 3x and the dot at 1x (1 MOA from shooter perspective, on 3 MOA target from shooter perspective = .333 MOA dot?)

At the end of the day a magnifier will magnify the size of the dot, visually to the shooter. A holographic dot will not change size when magnified.
The dot changes size visually but so does the target. 2 MOA dot remains 2 MOA. The thing with the eotech reticle is the center dot is actually smaller to begin with, the naked eye just can't see that for some reason, according to a brochure anyways.

Also, yes the magnifier obviously magnifies things. No, it does not change a 2 MOA dot to 6 MOA. Its still 2 MOA, and because everything is magnified. So its still 2 MOA, the only way it becomes 6 MOA is if it only changes the size of the dot in relation to the target, which it does not.

HWS DOT also changes size, but because the middle dot is actually smaller than 1 MOA and our eyes can't actually see the dot being smaller, we see it as the 1 MOA dot without magnification. It would be .25 MOA dot at the very least. We can't see that, so it appears as 1 MOA, which is why the dot doesn't visually change size with a magnifier.

This has been a informative thread for me, been kicking around getting a magnifier, but hadn't been able to make up my mind. Jonnyuma mentioned the vortex spitfire, that seems like the most practical for my needs. And midwayusa had them in stock, I'll check and see if my lgs has them first.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top