JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My builds just completed today:

Each rifle:
Aero Precision Upper
Black Hole Weaponry 16" carbine melonited stainless steel barrel with parabolic rifleing
PWS SC556 flash hider/compensator
Adams Arms carbine piston kit
POF roller cam
Samson Evolution 7 Ext rail
Magpul RVG in Foliage Green
Bravo Company VLTOR Ambi charge handle
Vortex Spitfire 1x prismatic scope

Aero Precision Lower
ALG Defense Combat Trigger
KNS anti roll pins in FDE
Magpul Enhanced Trigger Guard
Magpul BAD lever
Magpul MIAD grip in FDE
Spikes T2 Buffer
Magpul ACS stock in FDE

Samson rail, selector, bolt catch, mag release button, charge handle body Cerakoted FDE by SUR-TAC
Receivers, barrel, compensator, buffer tube, backplate, castle nut, charge handle latches Cerakoted Foliage Green by SUR-TAC

I plan to Cerakote the scopes Foliage Green as well. It doesn't look like it in the photos, but the Cerakote colors match the Magpul colors perfectly.

These rifles are all business, if it's not needed it isn't there, so no lasers, flashlights, magnifiers, alternate optics, electric pasta forks, alarm clocks or swiss army knives

upload_2014-8-30_19-19-36.jpeg

upload_2014-8-30_19-20-12.jpeg

upload_2014-8-30_19-45-42.jpeg

Thanks for the compliment. Total weight is 7 lbs, 5 oz, so they aren't lightweights but do weigh slightly less than the Ruger SR556 C and DPMS Recon. With the ACS stock, balance is in the mag well area, so it swings pretty well.

I'd intended to go with an Aimpoint Pro red dot or Eotech, but when I went scope shopping I found that due to a combination of astigmatism and artifacts of Lasik all I saw were red blurs when I looked through them. I figured I'd be looking a low power tactical scope when the sales guy at Sportsmans Warehouse pulled out the Spitfire and another prismatic scope made by Leupold. What a difference - these prismatic scopes are really sharp. I finally went with the Spitfire because the concentric ring reticle just pulled my eye to the center. The only disadvantage compared to red dot or holographic is that you don't get infinite eye relief, but on the other hand the reticle is still there even if your batteries fail.

I plan on taking them to the range next weekend and see how well they like M193 and M855. If they are good to go I'll start working up a defensive/hunting load based on the 64gr Nosler Bonded Performance.

Nice looking build.

Curious to know what the reasons for building two of the same rifle is.

One for me, one for her. These are designed for CQB in the event of SHTF/WROL scenarios, so everything is designed for durability and low or easy maintenance. That's also why no gadgets, just purposeful utility.

Absolutely Beautiful and Happy to see you went to Piston Guns. Much cooler and cleaner than Impingement in my opinion.
You essentially have SR556's for a whole lot less $$
And the pride of a great build from the ground up.
NICE JOB :D

Couldn't tell from the pics but no iron sights?

Not yet... The Vortex Spitfire only has one drawback - eye relief is not unlimited like most red dot scopes. It really needs to be mounted as far back as you can. I've been mulling it over and finally decided when I get the iron sights I'll remove the Spitfire, sight them in, remove the rear sight, replace the Spitfire, then mount the rear sight ahead of the Spitfire. If I need the iron sights, I'll have to remove the scope and relocate them. I'd only need to do that, though if the Sprifire was broken. Even without batteries you still get a reticle, just not illuminated.

The sights themselves will be determined by if I get or build an AR10 to augment things. If I go with the Ruger SR762, I'll buy Samson sights so they are all the same (The SR 762 comes with them). My favorite sight, though is the Precision Reflex sight that has the full HK style front. If I build I'll go that route.

Absolutely Beautiful and Happy to see you went to Piston Guns. Much cooler and cleaner than Impingement in my opinion.
You essentially have SR556's for a whole lot less $$
And the pride of a great build from the ground up.
NICE JOB :D

Thanks, the end result exceeded my expectations. Direct Impingement is still a very good choice and my original intent. One of the criteria for the rifle was easy cleaning and an adjustable gas block. When I priced out Nickle Boron bolt carriers and adjustable blocks, it wasn't a lot cheaper than I could get the Adams piston kit through Bud's. I finally went with the piston kit for easier cleaning and less wear on the BCG. I also like that I can shut it off entirely and turn the rifle effectively into a bolt action.

What is the additional cost with upgrading to piston and is it worth it if the rifle isn't fired very much? I have heard the main benefit would be if a suppressor were used which could lower the sound decibels when adjusted down.

Cost of DI (for my application) - $295
  • $200 for a NIB BCG
  • $80 for an adjustable railed gas block
  • $15 for the gas tube

Cost of Adams Piston kit - $320
  • $260 for the kit through Buds
  • $60 for a quality bolt
In my application the cost difference was $25. If your application does not need NIB plating or an adjustable block, it would be closer to a $175 difference.

The main benefits to me are keeping the heat and fouling away from the BCG and easier cleaning. If you aren't shooting them very often I would suggest you stick with DI and spend the cash you saved on ammo.

I was considering a 300 blackout build for a multi-purpose rifle for hunting deer and self defense. I thought it would be nice to use a suppressor for hunting and when taking it to the range. I have heard the Nickel plating makes a huge difference for cleaning too.

300 AAC is an awesome round. If I wasn't building for SHTF/WROL scenarios that hopefully won't happen I'd have likely gone that route.

On the other hand, the Ruger SR762 or DPMS Recon isn't much heavier than an AR and and are really good alternatives. My plans do call for one or the other to augment the ARs.

I have heard that I can do a change out of just the barrel on the AR 15 if I wanted to go with a 223 or 556 and use the blackout barrel for hunting without changing much else. I think maybe the BCG too?

I will have to check out the Ruger

Correct, you can switch between 556 and 300 AAC by switching uppers. I think the BCG is the same for both as the 300 AAC is a 556 necked up to 762. You can't do the same with most 762 uppers as they follow a different pattern, but you are now effective to 800 yards.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top