JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'd like to get some blue-prints, and physical parts, turned into a 3D drawing program of some sort.

Are there any folks here that do this? Are there any "starving students" or "hobbyists" that would like to make a little $$$.

I know there are places out there that charge XXX for start-up, then XXX per hour after that. Looking for some members that may be looking to earn a little extra $$$, or a student of a member looking to make some $$$.

There will be standard ND (Non-Disclosure) paperwork to be signed.

Thanks.

Reverse engineering.
I've done plenty in 3D programs and graphics.
What you're wanting, I think is beyond my scope of abilities, not having a scanner to scan the prints.
I've designed and modeled to scale within my programs, to a point of virtual "reach out and touch it"
I've taken blueprints that were drawn up nearly 100 years ago, and built said item true to scale to the Nth degree of detail.
LOTs of time involved.
I can export to most any format as well.

Since I become gun savy, I designed quite a few things, I've yet to put to prototypes.
Whatever you decide, I suggest you walk lightly with who you choose for your needs.

I just assumed that if i had the blueprint, it would be fairly "easy" for someone to put into 3D format. The dimensions are on the print and from my limited knowledge looks to be fairly straight forward. Not a whole lot of tricky dimensions/angles/etc. I'm probably wrong in my thinking as I have neither the skill or knowledge.

The other part I was wanting was a specific firing pin. I have the pin, I just need/want it in 3D format to present to someone for production.

I do agree that I will "get what I pay for" but thought I'd give the forum members a shot.

I do agree that it is time consuming, but I am hopeful that someone is a "whiz" at it - or knows a "starving student" with the skills and mindset that it takes, and that is looking to make a little extra $$$ on the side.

Thanks for the added info.

:s0155:

The firing pin, doesn't necessarily need to be built in 3D as the representation.
A perspective and/or line-drawing would more than suffice. Basically, if you actually want the physical (firing pin) piece to reside in your hand, you might be best speaking with someone who plays with CAD as you mention, or it could be as simple as someone with a metal lathe.

I don't have doubts that I could draw (re-draw) what you need done, but keep in mind, someone with my experience would actually be wasting time in re-iteration, when the person you find should have access and use of the tooling to create what it is.
If I'm on the same perspective wave of thought in your visualizations. If that makes any sense. LOL

Pretty much any part can be made from traditionally drafted plans. Hand drawn plans have been used to manufacture things from baseball bats to the atomic bomb without CAD.
That being said, a drafted print can be redrawn in something like CAD which can extrapolate a 3D rendering from flat view/isometric drawings.
For something like a firing pin where it is radially symmetrical, all you would need to do is represent it in a 2D cross-sectional format, with width and length measurements including radius and rounding specs as well as tolerance notations.
Remember, with any drawing the specs take precedence over the rendering when making a part.
The big thing about CAD is that things like scale, line weight, lettering, notation format are very uniform. This removes the requirement to pay for engineering minded artists who can use a rapidograph pen and render block lettering like a robot as well as the ability for a CAD file to directly program CAM enabled machines make mass production with a high degree of accuracy possible, even between distributed production sites.
As an aside, using a single physical object to reproduce a copy that ( presumably) has tight tolerances can be risky. Without knowing the original baseline specs and the allowances, you may end up making a part that is out of spec. After all, you have no way of knowing if your base part is made to the upper, lower, or middle of the tolerance extremes defined in the original drawings.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top