JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I had a Rossi 5 shot 44 special years ago that exceeded all the normal metrics of accuracy/reliability/effectiveness/comfort in firing. Stainless steel as well. They sold new for something around $325, haven't seen any lately.

So looking at getting an affordable carry piece in 38 special.

Here are the guns that I have looked at and like so far, ranked from least expensive to most:

Taurus Model 85 5 shot $299
Taurus 85B2FS Revolver | .38 Special +P 5 Rounds Blue Finish

Charter Arms Police Undercover 6 shot $350
73840 Police Undercover

S&W 36 Classic New Manufacture 5 shot $615
Model 36 Classics | Smith & Wesson

I love older wheel guns however everyone I find is to nice to carry and shoot.
I really would like to have a new Colt Cobra whenever those come out, however I imagine I will get one regardless of this purchase.

Thoughts and experience with any of the above is appreciated. (Yes I know some of you will never own a Taurus)

Thank you
For me, there is only one revolver worth considering. The Ruger. It is much stronger 20th century design, you can break it down in the field and clean or repair it, and it lasts much longer. All Colts, SW, Charter Arms, Taurus are old 18th century side plate designs, weak, impossible to strip and clean in the field, or fix/install new parts if needed. And the Ruger costs no more, and usually less.

This fits me . Stainless steel .357 J-Frame with no Hilary hole . IMG_20170221_142631369_HDR.jpg

I own both a Taurus 85 and a standard Charter Arms Undercover. the Standard Undercover is significantly lighter than the police model you are looking at. It is very small and very light, yet shoots quite well. I've carried it as an EDC for years, and so has my Father.

That said, I'd give the Taurus and the Charter arms revolver the nod over the S&W for two reasons:

1. Cost
2. The Smith & Wesson lock is not reliable.

If you include the Standard model Undercover, I'd choose it over the Taurus for super comfortable everyday carry.

My most carried revolver today is a Taurus 856 which is a six-shot version of the 85. My S&W revolvers are too pretty to get rubbed and chaffed in daily carry :)

[QUOTE="teflon97239, pos

Whatever I shoot at the range, I always finish up running half a box through my EDC so it's the last thing I shot. (Heaven forbid, the next time might be a life/death emergency.) I won't insist that it's a great pistol for everyone since that all boils down to personal preference. But it's certainly worth a try if you get the chance.

Bottom line? Unless you're already used to a tiny, lightweight revolver, you'll owe yourself some dedicated trigger time to develop comfort and consistency with any Airweight-size pistol.

View attachment 343027[/QUOTE]

If there were 5 holes in that card, it would make your story better :)

"2. The Smith & Wesson lock is not reliable."

I've heard that before but never seen any actual data.
And I've never known anyone, thrice removed, who has seen any such in person.

Never had it happen to any of mine since the first version so equipped was sold on the public market going on, what , 20+ years now?

"2. The Smith & Wesson lock is not reliable."

I've heard that before but never seen any actual data.
And I've never known anyone, thrice removed, who has seen any such in person.

Never had it happen to any of mine since the first version so equipped was sold on the public market going on, what , 20+ years now?

Revolvers CAN Fail: Smith & Wesson Performance Center 686 Locks Up - The Truth About Guns

Confirmed: Smith & Wesson 686 Internal Lock Failed - The Truth About Guns

did find this one: Smith and Wesson Internal Lock: Is it a Deal Breaker?

I scanned both the links above, they seem to be the same article.

I know a couple folks that took their lock mechanisms out. Isn't too difficult.

Like the G*Kaboom, I've read about it a lot, & have seen a few photos.
Even got convinced such does happen to G*.
Perhaps I should revisit the S&W internal lock issue. Still....hundreds of thousands of rounds personally over the last 20 years in such S&Ws with no failures has to soothe my own concerns just a bit.

Last Edited:
I picked up a stainless S&W 66 in .357 Mag a while back for $500 at Gun Broker. I wasn't looking to buy it when I went in, but the stainless was high polished and the trigger job was amazing, DA smooth as butter and light as a butterfly. I have at times carried it for CCW and it's not bad for that, but mostly it's open carry when hiking or hunting deer, quail, etc.

Haven't had it personally happen, but saw video of it happening. The lock broke in two inside the frame and jammed effectively permanently locking the gun so it wouldn't work and had to be opened and the pieces taken out and replaced. Don't like the idea enough that I took mine out before I ever shot it. Easy enough - just wish the hole wasn't in the frame in the first place, but it's no deal breaker now that the lock is out.

I have a S&W 637 J frame, bobbed hammer, breathed on by Performance Center.....it has a lock I, I, I feel so depressed! Okay I'm over it and will keep it. It is not my favorite, but I like it. has a Ergo Delta Grip on it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top