JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Only magnum powder have is H110
Have a pile of 125 grain cast RNFP
Itching to use the H110

Understand it is not recommend to reduce H110 loads
( unburnt powder? excessive pressure?)

so...looking at Jacked data for 125 grain bullets H110 is 18 grains (lowest seen in older data, newer data up to 21 grains)

these cast 125's I have should be hard enough at 16 BHN .....to push with 18 grains H110...... ha, right? using the jacketed load data....

ok, there is the debate........

regardless i'm on the hunt for SPM primers....
got a pile of 125 grain jacked soft points to load full magnum with the H110 but running out of SPM primers...
Planing on using SRP at least with the carbine and bigger revolvers as SPM are unattainable right now.

Last Edited:
Yes, that is another debate...
Have some HP38 and could load low for plinking.... even with the hardness of the cast...to hard?

I have some Titegroup and was going to load the 357...
But plan to use the Titegroup at the high side of load....to match the harness....?

Or is the concern for harness unfounded ......? just load em up?

Last Edited:
Depends on the speed you're going to be pushing them. I've got some 44 bullets that are 18 Brinnell and from what I've gathered, they can be pushed pretty hard.

Talking about....
"Hard Primers" or "Hard Lead Bullets"?

Anyway, if you meant hard primers. As in magnum......being thought to have a "harder cup material composition (in some cases)". And at other times, thought to have "hotter" ignition.

Well......
As for "hard cups".....I guess it depends upon IF you've made modifications to the trigger (made it lighter or played with the springs). Some.....of my revolvers I wouldn't count on, while others I'd have no reservations about. BTW.....I have been known to use Rem 6 1/2 (sm rifle primers) when loading 9mm. But, not so much with my .38 special loads.

Then (speaking of the 9mm).....
My son has a stock Glock that has problems with setting off Russian steel cased 9mm. While my stock Browning Hi-Power will eat them without a problem.

So......
The firearm matters.

Then.....
As for the "Hard Lead Bullets" stuff like: the condition of your bore, hardness of the lead, and how fast it's going. Without adding gas check or jackets into the mix. But, I'd bet that you knew that already.

So then.....
Do what you feel is best.

My best advice would be to.....
Start low and work your way up.

Aloha, Mark

From 1000-1400 fps, 12 to 16 is a very useful range of hardness. For velocities of 1400 to 1700 fps, this window slides up to 14 to 20

from here

My H110 would be 18-19K ... high for 16BHN

there is no data for 125 grain cast with H110 .....
is the reason safety or leading.....
some would say ok to use jacked with lead if lead is hard enough.....

Talking about....
"Hard Primers" or "Hard Lead Bullets"?

Anyway, if you meant hard primers. As in magnum......being thought to have a "harder cup material composition (in some cases)". And at other times, thought to have "hotter" ignition.

Well......
As for "hard cups".....I guess it depends upon IF you've made modifications to the trigger (made it lighter or played with the springs). Some.....of my revolvers I wouldn't count on, while others I'd have no reservations about. BTW.....I have been known to use Rem 6 1/2 (sm rifle primers) when loading 9mm. But, not so much with my .38 special loads.

Then (speaking of the 9mm).....
My son has a stock Glock that has problems with setting off Russian steel cased 9mm. While my stock Browning Hi-Power will eat them without a problem.

So......
The firearm matters.

Then.....
As for the "Hard Lead Bullets" stuff like: the condition of your bore, hardness of the lead, and how fast it's going. Without adding gas check or jackets into the mix. But, I'd bet that you knew that already.

So then.....
Do what you feel is best.

My best advice would be to.....
Start low and work your way up.

Aloha, Mark
yes, i am with you on all this.....
im just stuck with pretty hot load with the H110 as no reduced load data because of the slow burn nature of H110...
2400 would have been better powder to get....
just looking for blessings to do the 18 grains of H110 on the 125 cast

I don't load BHn 18 bullets over 1300 FPS I know yours are BHn 16 so I would speculate 1200 fps to be the ceiling.

Last Edited:
I don't load BHn 18 bullets over 1300 FPS I know yours are BHn 16 so I would speculate 1200 fps to be the ceiling.

Thanks..... I have some titegroup....1200 fps will be just right....

Just a thought on Titegroup, since you mentioned it. Titegroup is great powder for a lot of loads, but it burns really hot. I wouldn't recommend it for plain lead bullets, or poly-coated, as you are likely to get some leading due to the heat. Works great with plated or jacketed.

It use to be........

easy-button.png

Just get another (different) powder. BUT......with the current powder and reloading products available (or not available).....

I-feel-your-pain.jpg

So then, if it were ME....
I might just put this project on HOLD (and meanwhile visit the store more often) or look in the Classifieds. Yup.....it seems that from time to time there are people willing to sell off small quantities of various powders. Perhaps, you might just find one "more suitable" for your purpose?

ame-meme-generator-and-now-the-waiting-game-07fc04.png

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
It use to be........

View attachment 760133

Just get another (different) powder. BUT......with the current powder and reloading products available (or not available).....

View attachment 760134

So then, if it were ME....
I might just put this project on HOLD (and meanwhile visit the store more often) or look in the Classifieds. Yup.....it seems that from time to time there are people willing to sell off small quantities of various powders. Perhaps, you might just find one "more suitable" for your purpose?

View attachment 760135

Aloha, Mark
HA,
Yep....
wanted 2400 but settled for H110
wanted Unique but found Titegroup
Got some HP38 but might ta shuda got some Universal.
Like the idea of Autocomp but Clays could be found....

I have already sinned and got to many powders.... impatient

wanted 158 grain bullets but only found 125
geesh... got 500 each plated, jacketed, lead

what fun

wanted 2400 but settled for H110
wanted Unique but found Titegroup
Got some HP38 but might ta shuda got some Universal.
Like the idea of Autocomp but Clays could be found....

I have already sinned and got to many powders.... impatient

wanted 158 grain bullets but only found 125
geesh... got 500 each plated, jacketed, lead

what fun
It's like a treasure hunt mixed with putting together a puzzle.

I use 22grs of H110/W296 in my 357 Mag loads. 125gr FP FMJ. I'm cresting right over 1300fps out of 3" barrel. Stout but not cartilage killing. From my understanding, the H110/W296 likes to be compressed/loaded near max. My ladder started low, like 18grs to start and i was getting 38spc velocity. 20% increase gained me 450-500 FPS. My barrel is ported so your flash my vary.

Hp 38 should be a good choice. Generally burns pretty clean for similar loadings, works fine with plain lead. Might have a little more "pop" to the recoil, but hey, it's ammo.

I use 22grs of H110/W296 in my 357 Mag loads. 125gr FP FMJ. I'm cresting right over 1300fps out of 3" barrel. Stout but not cartilage killing. From my understanding, the H110/W296 likes to be compressed/loaded near max. My ladder started low, like 18grs to start and i was getting 38spc velocity. 20% increase gained me 450-500 FPS. My barrel is ported so your flash my vary.
thank for your data on the FMJ
I have a 2" and 4" .... perhaps time to use chronograph on pistol shooting
perhaps a cheap one ;)

Get some "regular" pistol powder.
I saw quite a few different ones available at both bimart and sportsmans very recently.. and load "mid-range" loads with those bullets.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top