JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
... I do not like a pocket gun that functions like a 1911. I would have had to totally retrain myself on pulling and taking the safety off to be efficient with it...
Excellent point! I need my bug to operate the same as my fullsize. As I grasp the thumb automatically lifts the safety. For me, that is a primary consideration when looking. In my case the Beretta 92 and the Walther PPK mirror the same. Safety/ decocker, DA/SA, mag release all the same. I am hard to re-train. It is easier to find a gun with the same functions. "Old dog not willing to learn new tricks."

If the .380 mini pistols are just too small, Why not step up to 9mm in a compact? When you have more purchase on the firearm, Less recoil usually if felt and you could very well end up shooting a far superior round to the anemic .380. This was the case with the wifes Ruger LCP. Terrible handling and recoil from that little POS was the norm with all who shot it. She upgraded to a SAR 9mm and shoots it so much better.

because sometimes even compact 9mm are too large.

a pocket 380 is very easy to carry. yes there are compromises, but it's better than a gun which you leave at home because it's too inconvenient to have to put a holster on all the time.

there are very few pocket 9s. i have a shield, and it is only pocket carry if you are andre the giant. kel-tec pf9 is about the only true pocket 9 i can think of.

I've got 40cal's old 232 and love the way it carries and shoots. It's very slim although it is bigger than most 380s.

I've recently picked up a Kahr CW380 for true pocket carry. Its tiny and disappears in a pocket even with a CT laser.

I'm also setting up a toolhead to reload 380. Its very hard to find and ridiculously expensive when you can find it.

One thing about a mouse (or any) gun, it is only as good as your ability to wield it. And small pistols are harder to shoot well than bigger ones.
Glad you like the gun. That thing was great but I just love the older 230 way more. I like the weight and ability to rapid fire it a whole lot easier. That 232 you have is nice and I picked it up because I had not seen one in that black nitron finish other than online before. It was an impulse buy of seeing that beautiful thing sitting on the display case and walking out with it when I had walked in for just ammo.

I've got 40cal's old 232 and love the way it carries and shoots. It's very slim although it is bigger than most 380s.

I've recently picked up a Kahr CW380 for true pocket carry. Its tiny and disappears in a pocket even with a CT laser.

I'm also setting up a toolhead to reload 380. Its very hard to find and ridiculously expensive when you can find it.

One thing about a mouse (or any) gun, it is only as good as your ability to wield it. And small pistols are harder to shoot well than bigger ones.

Yeah the .380 ammo has been the hardest for me to find. I had a good stock before the shortage so I have been alright but if I do not find any in the near future I will not be shooting my .380s very often.

There are very few pocket 9s. i have a shield, and it is only pocket carry if you are andre the giant. kel-tec pf9 is about the only true pocket 9 i can think of.

Don't forget the kahr pm9 and cm9. Also the ruger lc9, and diamondback db9. Those are all small 9mm pocket guns. Much smaller than a shield.

Back to the op's question. What about the ruger lc380? It's the same size as the lc9, but chamfered in 380. So easier to rack the slide and less recoil.

I have a Kel-Tec P3at with a Crimson Trace laser and it's not something I like to practice with.
Man does it bark and bite with the stock 6 rd magazine. It's a little bit better with the pinkie extension mag, but it's still not fun.

I have a Kel-Tec P3at with a Crimson Trace laser and it's not something I like to practice with.
Man does it bark and bite with the stock 6 rd magazine. It's a little bit better with the pinkie extension mag, but it's still not fun.

Try increasing grip with your support hand and wrap your index finger around in front of the trigger guard. I have large ape hands and this works well for me shooting my PF9 with the short mag. Its a small lite gun so 50 rounds will be felt. hope that helps

I can grip that gun like I'm strangling a cat, but it still hurts.
The Crimson Trace laser moves the front of the trigger guard forward and very close to the muzzle.

That's why I took the Crimson trace off my pm9. I had to regrip every couple shots. My xxl hands make it hard enough. I have a pinky extension so that I can get alk the fingers on the grip.

I just picked up a Kahr P380, perfect size for my hands, I have mdium to large hands and the magazine with a pinky extention is perfect size, plus the slim frame also makes it very inconspicuous for CC, I just bought a nice little uncle mikes holster that has a velvet ype of outer so it holds the pocket when you draw.

Also the Pistol is able to withstand +p ammo so with the right ammo I have read that it is in close comparison to a 9mm. I happened to buy some HP with the little rubebr tip inside since it was the only ammo available when I picked the gun up, but at first chance I will get some FMJ ammo for it, Ive been reading they are a little better for stopping an attacker since it wont split apart on impact and the projectile will most likely enter and break bones.

Another cool thing is the New ammo from G2R is the RIP round will be made for the 380 which I would be interested to see how it performs.

Another cool thing is the New ammo from G2R is the RIP round will be made for the 380 which I would be interested to see how it performs.[/QUOTE said:
-
The newest and coolest .380 acp ammo will never compare to 9mm if tested truthfully . Don't get me wrong I have had a few 380's and still have and use one . So I think they have a use and a role . PLUS it is proven lethal .
Comparisons of the .380 against 9mm/9x19 for performance is really just a numbers game and you can skew the comparison numbers with bullet weight/charge weight/ barrel length .
In comparing 9mm vs .380 against each other, If you stack the most favorable components used on the side of the .380 it can look good on paper . but reality is ( it will Never ) put out the ft.lbs energy out the muzzle and on impact like the 9mm . Same as performance comparing skewed numbers on (sarcasm insert here), 9mm vs the magical .45acp . the Internet numbers games are always skewed leaning in favor the .380 and especially when retail sales are involved .
-
( I like a .380 ) . but I dont mislead myself on which is superior.
You skew and 'add desirable gains ' in .380 . running the ragged edge on Velocity peaked-out and know more room to grow in ammo choice .
You take the ( Highest Vel. Output ) offered in factory .380 Auto . ( +P Ammo ) . 95 gr. 1150 vel. fps . you get . 279 ft. lbs.

You skew, 'hold back produced gains' . Use average factory offerings for performance ammo (with room to grow gains #'s ) .
You take a subcompact model 9mm ( like G26) . with producing the ( smallest barrel velocity gains ) in 9mm/.355 . Using good Ave. quality 147 grn. factory defense ammo . ( NOT +p ) . going 950 vel. fps . You can get, 300 ft.lbs energy out the muzzle .
Skewed It ' Starts ' to look close with numbers leaning to favor the .380 .

Then NOT even using the Highest performing defensive factory 9mm ammo offered for retail sales . Just use 9mm factory ( +P . 124 grn.) going 1225 Vel . . You get over 400 ft.lbs out the muzzle .
That just Smokes and leaves the .380 acp performance numbers in the dirt . Even if you use the shortest barrel subcompact 9mm out there it heads above the .380 . The only thing that .380 has over the 9mm is that it can be put in a smaller ( lethal ) package, especially for concealed carry . small is the upper-hand for the .380 auto . The choice is clear which is offering More energy for the trigger pull .
But I still own a .380 acp because nothing is smaller offering the punch it has . It's just so easy to hide on your body. but 99% of the time always endup packing the subcompact 9mm everywhere & especially IWB because it's just so comfortable & I feel more secure .

from 380acp to 44mag, caliber largely does not matter
An Alternate Look at Handgun Stopping Power | Buckeye Firearms Association

it's silly to obsess about "stopping power". the statistics just don't back it up until you get into rifle and shotgun calibers.

stick with a gun that you can always carry, and shoot accurately. for me that is the bodyguard 380.

Agreed if you can shoot in 1 inch groups with a 22 revolver yet cannot hit anything decent with a higher caliber go with what your shot placement allows and shoot what you are accurate with and trust. Forget power, all that and remember that a 44mag does not matter when it is empty and you have not come close to hitting the bad guy. I carry a .380, 9, 40, .357 depending on the day but with each gun I carry I have spent at least a few hundred rounds getting to know it before I carry it. A .380 is fine for most situations that are under 10ft on average. I am confident in all mine in that caliber. I like carrying my full size 40 but sometimes it just does not work to carry that bad boy. I just remember to think about shot placement and not if i can tear a guys arm off or not. Just my opinion and if you feel you need a 45 for stopping power I have no issue so long as it is something you are confident and accurate with.

Oh, so true. Very snappy and lots of rough edges. You won't be taking out to shoot for fun, but it will go bang everytime, is accurate enough, and fits anywhere.

I have large hands and I found the Bersa Thunder nonCC to fit real good with the extension on the mag. It wont fit in your pants pocket but in a jacket or iwb holster its very comfortable. For good stopping power try Hornady Critical Defense ammo in your 380

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top