JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If memory serves, and I'm not a real .380 fanboi, the Buffalo Bore hardcast penetrates over 30" with a flatpoint and it's not a +P.. probably make an almost full caliber hole. I've shot my "practice" SWC loads on game and it does considerable damage.. much more than full caliber on game and penetrates deep.

et=path%5B6%2F8%2F8%2F4%2F6884990%5D%2Csizedata%5B450x2000%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D.jpg

I've seen some comparisons that favor a 380 over a 38 special snubnose. Since I carry a 4" barrel 9x18 Mak, that interested me. It might be good to remember that a snubbie takes a lot of the life out any caliber . I know that my accuracy with my Pa-63 9x18 Mak is much better than with my sp101 snubnose. In most situations the flat semi auto carries better., too.

It's good to have confidence in your carry weapon. I prefer a 4" barrel 9x18 Mak semi auto, with a staggered magazine load of HP and FNHC 115 gr rounds. My accuracy is good with THIS combo at up to 25 yards, and it's potent enough for both human and animal targets. I recommend Underwood ammo for price/performance, and recommend carrying a weapon that is accurate from at least 30 feet. A 4" barrelled .380 ( CZ83) would come in with similar results. Of course, a 4" barrel on a SP101 would give some really nice ammo combos, and be a very shootable weapon. I'd be carrying IT OWB , since I can barely get my thin semi-s in my IWB rigs.
"Dr. Brent" :)

I've CCed 9x18 Bulgi mak, S&W360 and now a 9mm Shield. Depending on the load and bullet, IMO, their terminal ballistics are not that different from each other. I carry what I find is the most comfortable to carry a whole day.

Buy the .380 and carry both. If you are going out and think you might need a reload, carry both. I carry the J-Frame in my pocket and a 9mm in an ankle holster if I am really concerned about getting into trouble. I found the ankle holstered 9mm quicker to get back into shooting than fussing with reloading the J-Frame.

There are some pipey 380s out there. Still the line has to be drawn somewhere and 380 is on the other side of my comfort level.

I can, but only for a 3rd boot gun. Just bought a Fobus ankle holster for that (LCP) Testing a Nano for the 2nd (pocket) gun right now and liking it But I wouldn't carry any of these as a primary. For swimsuit wear on the beach I wouldn't carry less than one of my KAHR 45 poly guns

EDIT: This was a response to titsonritz's comment, dunno what happened

The suggestions for a second gun are valid. But I can't remember when I have been in a place that I was worried about to start with. Sure the problem could happen anywhere look what happened at the mall last year. Course on average I would say I walk into a Mall twice a year and then if Sears has its own entrance not even that.

Living in small town Silverton and not being a night life kind of dude I guess my exposure is mathematically limited.

What my EDC is or isn't sure won't be a problem if someone breaks through one of the outer doors to the house. My fully Enclosed Front Porch or Laundry room would be a very bad place to be standing while you figured out the inner door that's behind the armored screen door is not going to be so easy.

I'm a huge fan of compartmentalization and multiple obstacles to gain entry.

FWIW, I do occasional executive protection details and work with others in my group who do it full-time. To a person all of us carry a Smith J-frame .38 when off duty or for UC work.

My personal choice is a model 638; some prefer the 442; loaded with the Speer Gold Dot .38+p JHP's for short barrels, it'll get 'er done.

The suggestions for a second gun are valid. But I can't remember when I have been in a place that I was worried about to start with. Sure the problem could happen anywhere look what happened at the mall last year. Course on average I would say I walk into a Mall twice a year and then if Sears has its own entrance not even that.

Living in small town Silverton and not being a night life kind of dude I guess my exposure is mathematically limited.

What my EDC is or isn't sure won't be a problem if someone breaks through one of the outer doors to the house. My fully Enclosed Front Porch or Laundry room would be a very bad place to be standing while you figured out the inner door that's behind the armored screen door is not going to be so easy.

I'm a huge fan of compartmentalization and multiple obstacles to gain entry.

I had to draw 6 x in Cali and my gal 2x (Once to back me up against a 4 pack of crazed, drugged up/drunk dudes threatening to rape her and my sister)

Life is a cosmic roulette wheel

.380 ammo is readily available, using Gunbot, and waiting for periodic price breaks. I shoot Fiocchi FMJ for practice ammo, and buy it at about $16 /50 . 500 rounds cost typically ~ $18 to ship . SD ammo from Underwood is potent.

All good points.

The revolver is/has and always will be heads up in end reliability.
I prefer an ultralight 357 and use 38 for practice (cost) and carry the mags for social events.

Currently I am carrying a 738 Taurus (380 auto) in a Bulldog belt pouch.
I can carry it right out in the open with impunity and the sheeple gaze right past it as an electronic gizmo pouch.

No worries with upsetting the crowds, and it's right handy at a moments notice.

Keeping your Weapon out of sight is the big downside with many choices.

Fanny pack carry helps, but they are pretty much a dead givewaway any more.

Remember, a self defense encounter is most likely going to be at "reach out and touch" distance, so the little mouse gun will do nicely.

If your worried about 40 yard shots, don't, take cover.

Snowy

Here is my next planned primary. No, it's not my video but worth watching. And yes I can conceal it, have carried a 1911/BHP/Glock 22 for 25 years + with multiple reloads. The trick to self defense is to see it coming and draw first

All 10MM major brand loads have been downloaded, the caliber is capable of serious velocity, basically a 40 magnum

Last edited by a moderator:
A few years ago I received in trade a super nice Bersa mod 96 .380. The owner traded it off because he said it "jammed a lot" well if he had ever cleaned it he might have thought differently but regardless it was an excellent gun, with excellent fit and finish and glass smooth - but, it was horribly inaccurate. Now I am sure there are .380s out there with acceptable to maybe excellent accuracy but this wasn't one of them. I am talking about nothing on a paper plate at 10-15 yards. Also the .380 cases were starting to get on the small side for handling when it came to reloading. So for me a 'small' gun is going to always be a .38 Special snub and 20 yard clays are routine with my Taurus 605.

from my point of view all pistols suck at stopping a threat. Pistols are convenient defense, not good defense. The only ones that even start to touch good wounding ballistics are the magnum rounds, and those are hard to conceal, and to shoot for most people. With any pistol, Shot placement is EVERYTHING. There have been one shot stops with 22LR and multiple hit walk aways with 45 Auto. If your not hitting the CNS, or heart your not stopping a threat RFN.

I think that training, familiarity, weapon control, and realistic practice are much more important than what caliber it is any day.

oh, and I own page 3 :D

I have a very nice pre-lock S&W 442 .38 spec. with a fancy trigger job -- best DA trigger on any gun I have owned. Also have a Micro Desert Eagle, which is a very nice and compact all metal .380 6+1. Of them I think the 442 is the better gun, but the MDE carries better. That said, depending on how I'm dressed, either one might get carried.

As other have said, shot placement is more important than caliber, and I argue that reliability of the firearm is as important as shot placement. My experience with the little .380s is that most have feeding and ejection issues. I went to a fancy range in Seattle with a couple buddies who were gun shopping and we rented and tested about 10 of the compact .380s (every one they had) -- in total we put about 5-6 boxes of ammo downrange. Each little gun got 3-4 magazines put though it, and we all shot at least one mag from each gun. We also played with my MDE and 442.

It was an expensive afternoon ;)

Every single one of the compact .380s had some type of issue -- including the Kahr and the Sig. The Taurus and the Ruger had by far the worst triggers. The Sig had the best trigger but had reliability issues. My MDE was the most reliable, but the hardest to shoot due to the long hard trigger pull --other than for me, 'cause I had lots of practice.

But, my little 442 went bang every time, had tight groups, and had a DA pull almost as good as the best .380 SA pull. They both agreed that it was their favorite of all the ones we shot that afternoon.

p.s. BBTI - Ballistics by the Inch :: Home

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads