JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I opted for a Sig P232 in .380 ACP because it's easily concealable. I'm not continually conscience of its weight or bulk on my belt, and that's a considerable improvement over the larger framed autos I carried until recently. I've cycled boxes of Hornady, Remington, PMC, Fiocchi and whatever else I could find, and the Sig P232 has cycled reliably. I simply retrieve as much brass as I can find and I'll reload it when bullets once again become available. I'll let everyone know how reliably it cycles my reloads.

In terms of its adequacy for self-defense, my criticisms of the .380ACP in the past were based primarily on observed results on test medium with the FMJ bullets of factory loads that were available in the late '60s and early '70s. There has been considerable improvement since, propelled in large measure by pressure from European police agencies and Americans with a preference for better performance. There are other options, but I currently use Hornady Critical Defense factory ammunition loaded with 90 gr. FTX bullets, primarily because it has performed well on the test mediums I've been able to assemble.

One of the best 9x19mm autos I've used (and genuinely appreciated) was the Star FireStar. Unfortunately, production ceased on that piece in 1996, but it was all steel, not muck larger than a Walther PPK or Sig P232, and an easily controllable fistful. I had no problems with it; it was much like a downsized 1911. Time change, and I think we still have excellent models from which to choose, but I've relegated my .45 ACP and full-sized 9mm to duties at home. If the .380 ever proves inadequate, I'll report it to this forum…or the newspapers will do it for me, but I don't think that's a likelihood.

Will you be more likely to carry the .380? If so then it is the right choice. Whenever the question is which caliber with handguns the right answer is the one you will carry. Doesn't matter if it's a .380 or a .45 both require accurate shot placement to be effective.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top