JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My own Walther PP, an nazi-era Vienna Special Branch police issue PP, was my carry gun whilst over in Norn Iron during the recent 'troubles'. I had its original holster, too. I sold it for $3500 to a collector. Mrs tac collected a lot of money off the base police during Wednesday afternoon on the range sessions with it.

Anyone want to see it? It's nothing special.

tac

Yes always up for pics of a piece of history like that.

upload_2018-3-17_21-11-8.png
upload_2018-3-17_21-11-44.png
upload_2018-3-17_21-12-24.png upload_2018-3-17_21-12-58.png
upload_2018-3-17_21-13-32.png

It shot VERY well, hardly ever having been used.

tac

I'm no expert, but from what I've been seeing over the last five years, .380 and .40 are pretty much dead. They've been proven over and again to be unreliable and even dangerous.

Too short of a round and almost squarish, they have issues feeding. The back end of the cartridge isn't supported by the breach and they expand a lot more than normal spent rounds. This also leads to a lot more risk in shooting reloaded ammo, as there's a greater chance of cracks. I've personally had a Taurus TCP blow up in my hands from a reloaded .380 cartridge exploding out the back, where it wasn't supported by the barrel.
I own eleven 380's and six .40's and 2 357 Sig (Which uses 40 cases and magazines) I have guns that I don't love and some I do.

I love my Browning BDA 380. I bought it new about 1988 and I never had a problem with it or any of the store bought ammo. I did buy some gun show ammo (Reloads) that I used with my S&W Sigma 380 and had a problem with those (Might have tinged my opinion of the S&W, but it has always fired with factory ammo) The RM-380 is easy to rack but it rivals that Sigma for long trigger pull, still it is reliable. I do have a Kahr CW-380 that is picky with ammo, it does not like some JHP and some FMJ. I don't try to use ammo in it that it does not like. It loves Underwood XTP and that is what I carry in it. It is in my pocket here at home as I type. I have all the LCP's and often carry a LCP II, good trigger on the LCP II but still a lot of recoil. I jst got a Taurus Spectrum that I have yet to shoot and my second G-42. My wife won't let me touch 'her' G-42. The 42 shoots all the factory ammo you can find on the shelf. shoots soft, decent Glock sights, very accurate.
I don't reload so other than the 100 I bought long ago, all my 380 ammo works.

two of my 40's are new and unfired but they are both SA Mod 2's so I feel they will work. One is a revolver so it's different. Walther PPX is accurate I have shot it maybe 1200 rounds with no problems FMJ, TMJ JHP.
I only have 600 rounds through my 3" SA Mod 2, so short barrel working fine, my EDC. My XDS only has 100 Rounds but no problem. I use only factory ammo so I don't have reloading problems.

Just purchased the S&W Shield .380 EZ. Great pistol. Very ez to rack, load ammo in the magazine, light weight and a great trigger right out of the box. It will be my carry gun using Underwood Xtreme Defender ammo.

Just purchased the S&W Shield .380 EZ. Great pistol. Very ez to rack, load ammo in the magazine, light weight and a great trigger right out of the box. It will be my carry gun using Underwood Xtreme Defender ammo.

Nice. With or without the manual safety? Run a full magazine of your defensive ammo through it to make sure it will run.

Nice. With or without the manual safety? Run a full magazine of your defensive ammo through it to make sure it will run.

I don't feel good carrying any new (to me) pistol until I have run a lot more than that though it with no hang ups. Some of the real good ammo this does get pricey but I want to make sure the damn thing is going to work with what I carry in it. For anything I am going to carry HP's in I will often buy a few boxes of something cheap in HP to run through first, along with some ball. Then at least a couple boxes of 25 of the good stuff just to make me comfortable. When I got my LCP II I ran a couple hundred rounds through it first trip out and by the end of it I was not enjoying it at all. Love the pistol and it's a lot of fun now running a few mags through. It got painful that first day making sure it would work. :)

I don't feel good carrying any new (to me) pistol until I have run a lot more than that though it with no hang ups. Some of the real good ammo this does get pricey but I want to make sure the damn thing is going to work with what I carry in it. For anything I am going to carry HP's in I will often buy a few boxes of something cheap in HP to run through first, along with some ball. Then at least a couple boxes of 25 of the good stuff just to make me comfortable. When I got my LCP II I ran a couple hundred rounds through it first trip out and by the end of it I was not enjoying it at all. Love the pistol and it's a lot of fun now running a few mags through. It got painful that first day making sure it would work. :)
I bought a Hogue slip on and the does make it some easier, fattens the grip though.

I bought a Hogue slip on and the does make it some easier, fattens the grip though.

It makes sense it would. Since I use it for deep cover and or pocket I live with it as is. Now that I know it works I love the little pistol. Only shoot it now and then and only a few mags and it's fun. LOVE the trigger. It replaced a Kel-Tec .380 that I had been carrying for years. Loved that pistol as it was cutting edge when it came out. The Ruger is soooooo much easier to be accurate with though. Really wish they made it in .32 for the Wife but I don't see it happening.

Here is a NAA 32 available for around $350

She bought a Beretta 3032 that she does love to shoot. It's a little on the heavy side like the NAA are but she does not pocket carry. She loved the weight and the trigger on the LCPII. The recoil is just too much for her. When she told me she had handled one in a LGS and wanted it I warned her this would not work. She went back and handled it again and bought it. Of course first time out with it she could not shoot it. After the first round she could not hit the paper at 15' she was flinching so bad. Worked out great for me since it then became mine :) If they made these in .32 she would probably love it, light weight, great trigger, low recoil. Don't see Ruger bothering though. She has a Kel-Tec .32 she loves for carry just does not like that long trigger pull. I noticed that even though KT still catalogs these I do not see any for sale new any more. Guessing there is just not enough market since so many want the .380 in the same size pistol. This is why I am guessing Ruger will not bother to chamber this in .32. It's been hard finding something she will both carry and shoot since she is so damn recoil sensitive.

I have a S&W 351PD a seven shot, double action J frame in 22 Magnum. It is smaller around the cylinder than a 5 shot 38 and easy to control. .22 Magnum is no slouch ballistics wise. I recently bought 500 rounds of Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel for it and my NAA.

Post #10: "Bersa makes a superb 380." I noticed this when I was working as a gunsmith. Bersa offers great value for the $.
Post #24: "...Sunday-Go-To-Meeting Gentleman's Carry Gun", a Colt's Model 1908, factory nickled and engraved." AKA a barbeque gun, i.e an elegant part of one's sartorial suite at an outdoor gathering of fiearms enthusiasts, however far too precious for EDC since if you need to use it you will never see it again.
I have had four Bersa Thunders 3i0 and never had a problem. Gave them away to family and friends. They have not had any issues either. Nice little pistols.

I have always been a bit partial to he 380's for a carry piece. Purchased a Beretta Pico a couple years ago when they first came out. The slide was too dang stiff for me to rack without a lot of effort. I returned it for the up-grade on the slide and trigger...works great now.
For a small pistol it is very accurate and loves all the 'High Power Rounds'. Never had a failure with it to operate as it should. I feel very safe carrying it as it is Double Action only.
Lot's of opinions on favorites here......Just mine on this 'Little Guy'
Good Day Gent's

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews