JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
There are lots of good .380 caliber pistols out there. I like the following two examples.

The Ruger LCP is a great little .380. You can't go wrong with it.

If you want to spend a little more money, go for the KAHR P380. It is an excellent little pistol.

Both are very reliable, compact, and easy to shoot.

I have a stainless Sig P230 that has been extremely reliable, never had a failure. Excellent fit and finish. Sig made some slight changes and renamed it the P232.

We have 3 Taurus TCP pistols. I seriously considered the Ruger LCP, but just liked the Taurus better. They are very similar with the Taurus being ever so slightly longer in grip. Also, the Taurus seemed to have less rough edges than the Ruger. Two of them were completely reliable right out of the box. One needed some "breaking in".

The Taurus also comes with 2 mags and a nice little carry pouch. I use a pocket holster, but the wife uses the factory pouch.

To be a little more informed I took some ammo to the range to get some help from guys who would fire some of my ammo.

I purchased six boxes of RBCD; .380, .40, .45, and .44 mag. They pay shipping if you buy six boxes; mix or match caliber for about $220. Also I purchased five bubble packs of Mag-Safe three for the .380 and two for the .40 at $22 for a bubble pack of eight rounds each. Additionally I brought two boxes of Remington 88 grainers in .380 caliber.

My son-in-law right away got after some one gallon juice jugs filled with water. The .40, .45, and .44 mag were devastating. The .40 and .45 literally blew up the first two jugs throwing fragments up to thirty feet away. The bullets fragmented and particles were found in at least three jugs. The .44 mag destroyed three jugs and went through the fourth. In all of the above tests only fragmented pieces of the bullets were found.

We fired only one with the .380 (1,830 feet per second) the jug was split all the way around as though it were cut in to, but not fragmented. The beautifully mushroomed bullet was found in the tree behind the jug. It was too large to go into a .40 case but small enough to go into a .45 case.

There is a pleasant and noticeable difference in the magazine weight of his .45 XDM between the RBCD and whatever the other load he packs. Man it is heavy. I think the mags hold sixteen rounds each.

A guy at the range tried the RBCD in his little .380 Sig. It looks like a baby 1911. He fired a five shot off hand group of 3 3/4" at 7 1/2 yards. One of the rounds was a failure to feed so he fiddled with it and got it to fire. A Taurus .380 fired a six shot group from the rest of 4" at 7 1/2 yards. A Ruger LCP fired four shots from a rest into 3 1/2" at 7 1/2 yards.
By the way my .40 EA Witness is a one holer with the RBCD at seven and a half yards.
A Taurus fired six Mag-Safe into a 4 7/8" group.

The guy with the Taurus fired a six shot group of 2 3/16" with Remington 88 grainers from a rest.
I gave the RugerLCP owner with a laser on his some Remington 88 grain H.P. ammo and asked him to fire a full magazine offhand with the sights and with the laser at the 7 ½ yard target. With sights he fired 2 1/2" vertical string group. With the laser it was a round 1 3/16". Same guy, same ammo, two sighting systems same gun. Kind of an eye opener.

My next pistol will be a Sig P238- sometime before summer- it'll be super easy to stash IWB concealed during the summer months when wearing shorts and a t-shirt, far easier than my beloved XDm compact

Just some personal experience:

I have two Bersa .380's. A Model 83 from the late 1980s (owned since new) and a newer Thunder 380. Neither one has ever had an issue.

I bought the TCP because I liked the ergonomics over the LCP - it just fit my hand better. It had to go back to Taurus for a visit just after purchase (one week turnaround), but has been 100% reliable since. I have two friends w/ LCP's and one had to go back to Ruger (3 week turnaround as I remember) and is still picky on ammo, but the other has run flawlessly (that I know of).

I tend to shoot my 9mm's more (because of cheaper ammo), but still like the size of the .380's. Have fun shopping!

I really like the Bersa Thunders. My wife and I both have and they are both perfect shooters. Never and issue and very accurate.
I had a KelTec P3At and it too was very reliable, just not fun to shoot or very accurate.
I will be investing in a Sig P238 or the new 938 soon. (better pocketability than the Bersa)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top