JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My sister is looking for her first pistol and gal friend of her's has the Glock 42 380. And has told her it's a good SD gun. But I've told her go with the 9. She's shot my M&P FS 9 and she shoots it well. She's never shot a 380 nor have l. Any advice or thoughts y'all can share that I can give my sis. And she does really like my 9.

For self defense I'd go with 9 over the 380 without hesitation. Have her try an M&P Shield. Recoil is surprisingly light and it's also very easy to charge (nice for folks who wear long nails).

All of the above is correct, and I would add that trying to work the action on a small firearm is paradoxically harder than with a larger frame.

Every 380 I have handled felt like a derringer.

I like 'em both. She should shoot a bunch of everything and decide from there.

As for the impending .32 vs .38 vs .380 vs 9mm vs .40 vs .45 debate? I don't wanna get shot by any of them.

Things I've learned in years of being a gun guy.

Don't tell or buy a lady anything based on your opinion.

Let her try and buy her own, give your recommendations, but encourage her to be a part of the decision.

I much prefer dissimilar cartridges, I won't both, period. Between the two, no contest 9mm. If I "need" something smaller I'll go down to a 32 Seecamp. Also keep in mind many, .380s are blockback instead of recoil operated, that recoil is going somewhere, right to the shooter's hand.

My old lady preferred the size of the 380 guns over the 9mm ones. A Ruger LCP 2 disappears compared to a sheild sized gun.

My wife likes her LCP Ⅱ as well. Her normal carry pieces, depending on how and where, are a Beretta 3032 (.32 ACP / 7.65x17㎜SR Browning), the aforementioned Ruger (.380 ACP / 9x17㎜ Corto), or a Walther P99 (9x19㎜ Parabellum).

I believe she shot the 43 the last time I took her to the indoor range. But she has yet to shoot the Shield. I was told for a carry gun for go subcompact but nightstand gun go full sized with a good light on the rail.

My wife likes her LCP Ⅱ as well. Her normal carry pieces, depending on how and where, are a Beretta 3032 (.32 ACP / 7.65x17㎜SR Browning), the aforementioned Ruger (.380 ACP / 9x17㎜ Corto), or a Walther P99 (9x19㎜ Parabellum).

It took 10 years for me to get her to keep a mouse gun in her purse :rolleyes:. I don't think I could ever convince her to carry P99 or any other full sized gun in a holster.

We'll see. As she likes to remind me, I've been wrong before :s0114:

I believe she shot the 43 the last time I took her to the indoor range. But she has yet to shoot the Shield. I was told for a carry gun for go subcompact but nightstand gun go full sized with a good light on the rail.

That's a good point - any idea how she wants to use the pistol? If she wants to carry does she have any idea how she wants to do so?

My old lady preferred the size of the 380 guns over the 9mm ones. A Ruger LCP 2 disappears compared to a sheild sized gun.

The Shied is not a very small gun. Even the G43 is quit a bit smaller.

Unless something itty bitty tiny is Paramount (LCP size), I don't see why the 9mm wouldn't be your/her first choice. For good reasons enumerated above. I'll be yet another in the glock 43 camp. No widgets or doodads to think about. Dirt cheap to fix, child's play to disassemble. Capacity is kind of a bummer though

I was lucky when Mrs. 3M and I went shopping for her first pistol. At the time the OC Fred Meyers was still selling guns and when we went there to browse they had not one but two highly knowledgeable female clerks. I basically kept my pie hole shut and my ears open. They knew their stuff so I stayed out of the discussion. After they were done Mrs. 3M then educated me about all the things I'd been telling her, but since I was speaking in Husband she couldn't understand.

If you can find a LGS nearby with a female clerk it might be helpful.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top