Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $1,000 in prizes this month in the Northwest Firearms Winter Giveaway!
    Dismiss Notice

.38 vs .38 Special

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by AJC3708, Apr 26, 2012.

1. AJC3708

AJC3708 Roseburg, OR New Member

Ok so this caliber is a mystery to me I just learned that that I can shoot .38 special through a .357 Mag so here's my question, What is the difference between .38 and .38 special.

2. unklekippy

unklekippy In The Mountains Near Sprague River Well-Known Member

Are you talking about .38S&W? They are a shorter case than the .38 Special and I have never attempted to fire them through a .357 mag. I own a S&W that was my grandfathers in the Air Force pre-WWII. The ammo is expensive and generally a 200 grain lead slug was(and still is) used, I believe. The goal with that round was "slow and heavy", which doesn't work as well as they hoped. Kip.

3. AJC3708

AJC3708 Roseburg, OR New Member

Thanks. I believe from the internet searching I have done is that there are very few .38S&W guns being used for target practice.

4. ArgyleAdams

ArgyleAdams Portland, OR Active Member

The ".38" in .38 special refers to the case diameter, strangely enough. The bullet has a diameter of .357, same as the .357 magnum. The only difference between the .357 magnum and the .38 special round is the case length/capacity.