JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My grandfather taught me how to shoot a pistol with a Model 36. I was to get it "when your 18" according to him, but it was stolen out of his car before then. 40yrs later I own a "few" handguns and not one wheel gun. Time to change that and I want to get what I learned on. I remember it being a nickel-plated .38 short stub with wood grips. He called it a "police special". I am pretty sure it was a model 36.

What are decent used prices on these? (Not in a hurry to get one, so if Covid is driving the used prices up I can wait)

I don't mind buying new, but the only new I have seen is blued. Is the model 36 available in nickel? If not what would it cost to plate that baby? No idea what that would be.

I appreciate any help!

Split the difference and find a M-60 - same gun in stainless.
IMG_1941.JPG

He called it a "police special". I am pretty sure it was a model 36.

Your talking S&W I presume? The S&W m36, before they had model numbers(1957), was refered to, among other things, was "Chief's Special". BUT, if grandpa really did call it "Police Special", he gets to do that if he wants! Because, "Grandpa"!

Good for you. But a 5 shot *J* frame with a super-short bar must have been punishing.

Surprisingly, maybe, I have a pre M 36 that doesn't seem bad at all with .38 sp. And I'm kind of a wuss when it comes to recoil.

S&W Model 36's, known as the Chief's Special were made in a variety of configurations. Round or square butt, blue or nickel finish, adjustable sights,1 7/8" barrel through 4" barrels.

A run-of-the-mill blued 36 snubby would be in the neighborhood of $300 - $600. Nickel brings a premium as do non-typical barrel lengths and adjustable sights. I have seen them listed as high as $1300.

Do you remember if the gun that your grandfather taught you with was 5-shots or 6? If 6, then it was most likely a Model 10, which maybe more correctly a "Police Special" as they were used by the uniformed officers where the Chief's Special was for detectives and higher ranking officers.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I have a Model 66 with a 3" barrel that is just awesome. I got talked out of a Model 640 and I still regret it to this day. But he traded me a Model 629 in the deal so I couldn't say "no".

Agree, get a 640.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads