JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
No, just very careful. I used a Nowlin prefit, which only required the lightest touch with a stone on the barrel hood, and the barrel bushing turned down about .003 to fit my slide

There was/is some issue with proper headspacing, having something to do with the semi-rimmed nature of the case. The older Colts -if memory serves- headspaced on the case mouth(?) and were inherently inaccurate.. While the newer barrels headspace on the case head and are capable of much better accuracy... feel free to chime in on this esp. if Im mistaken...
Also seems I recall that 9mm Largo cases can be fired in .38 Super (9.4mm) pistols, there was a lot of Largo imported from Spain a few years back- and properly DOWN-loaded the Super case can be used in 9mm Largo pistols. Due to the 9.4 mm bullet size neither 9mmP, 9mm Largo, nor .357 projectiles can be used.
Once had a dream of getting one of these and handloading tank-buster ammo, just one of those things I didnt get around to doing.. so many guns, so little time! If I was doing this nowadays, would probably go with .357 SIG...

The earlier cases heads paced on the rim, the later heads pace on the mouth.
There are .38 super comp loads that come awfully close to 357 magnum velocities.
All in all, not really practical, but kinda fun.

The earlier cases heads paced on the rim, the later heads pace on the mouth.
There are .38 super comp loads that come awfully close to 357 magnum velocities.
All in all, not really practical, but kinda fun.
Crap, autocorrect got me, or maybe I had a headspace problem

Like 45 says, Dan Wesson offers a full array of guns in .38 super. The Dans are excellent guns and IMO put the colts to shame with regard to value and quality. I just picked up a guardian in .45 and its awesome; it would also be an exceptional gun in .38 super.

Thanks my 58 th birthday is coming and i just might by one of those. I am starting to think i should just stay with the 45 but that flat shootin 38 super seems like fun..

Thanks my 58 th birthday is coming and i just might by one of those. I am starting to think i should just stay with the 45 but that flat shootin 38 super seems like fun..

If you're sure you want a 1911 style in .38 S DW is a very nice choice. As long as you are willing to pay 1- 2K for one. Of course for that you should get a very nice pistol. Remember too to make sure you want one. These are rather rare for sale. The reason is they are rarely wanted. So if you buy one and don't like it, well trying to sell would be a "challenge". For anyone not positive they want one the RIA's go for about 1/3 of what the DW's sell for.

Im wondering if a simple barrel and magazine swap would work in a 1911?
Used to do such with the .45/9mmP and don't remember having to change out the bushing, and certainly not the extractor.. :eek:it was pretty much straight up. Tried it cuz I had both pistol/calibers available. Or maybe it was 9mmP to .45, this was back a few years ago, at any rate it wasnt an issue.... Dunno if that would work with the Super tho, never tried it.
** Come to think of it, they were both Combat Commanders.. dunno if this would work with standard 1911's.**

Last Edited:
You're looking at a slide and barrel when going to. 38 super from .45, bUT ejector should work if using a commander. That slide change also would allow 9mm, 9x23, and .22tcm. I'm still looking for a 6 inch .22tcm barrel for mine.

Here's what I did.

1. If you have a Colt frame, find a Colt .38S slide or a complete Colt 9mm slide and barrel assembly (N.B. - DID YOU KNOW? Board software interprets the abbreviation of "assembly" as (gasp!) naughty language (!!!) and "censors" it to "bubblegum"? The Dolores Umbridge Brigade never sleeps!).

Complete 9mm slides pop up on Potatobroker or even eVilbay now and then. .38S shoots and functions fine in a Colt 9mm slide in my experience. The slightly larger rim of the .38S is not large enough to cause problems with the 9mm slide face, extractor or ejector.

Look at it from a manufacturer's viewpoint and it just makes sense: Why would we want to have a separate frame setup for each individual caliber when we could just produce ALL our frames to ONE spec and design the different caliber slides to fit and function with that??? To do otherwise would be seriously nutsy-fruitsy.

2. Buy an AFTERMARKET .38 Super barrel that headspaces on the CASE MOUTH. You can also use this barrel in 9x23 and 9mm Largo calibers which are functionally identical chamber spec to .38S. If you want a hotter load, 9x23 makes particular sense in this regard since the 9x23 case is designed to handle stiffer loadings, in contrast to most .38S brass.

FYI: Original Colt .38S barrels are cut to headspace on the CASE RIM (which explains Colt's inclusion of the "semi-rim" on the .38S case), and have no shoulder in the barrel for the case mouth. The only place for the .38S case rim to catch on a Colt barrel is a small shoulder on the bottom of the barrel hood, which is what, about 30degrees of the circumference of the barrel. This results in inconsistent headspace and chambering. This is one of the reasons for the unpopularity of the .38S round over the years.

3. Buy a few .38S and 9x19 magazines. Sometimes 9mm will work through a .38S magazine, sometimes not.

And awaaay we go! Don't have to buy a firearm with all the PITA and background check, cost, etc, that comes with it these days. Don't have to tune or trick-out another frame. Simpler, cheaper and much more versatile. Lastly, now you can shoot cheap 9mm ammo for plinking or practice.

Once you have the .38S or 9mm slide you can use any pistol caliber that has a 9mm case head size by just changing barrels (and sometimes magazines). I have additional barrels for mine in 7.62x25mm (.38S magazine) and .41 Action Express (.40S&W or 10mm magazine). I have also shot .380acp and 9x18 Makarov (9mm magazine) through my 9mm barrel with only an occasional bobble. Your mileage may vary. I also have a 10mm Colt slide and barrels in 10mm and .40S&W which drop onto all my Colt frames and function with no problem. The Colt's are remarkably versatile once you understand them.

(BTW, I betcha didn't know .380acp or .380 Makarov makes a good field-expedient subsonic 9mm round in most 9mm silenced pistols. Yer welcome.)

I do LOVE me some Colt 1911's. :s0115:

Last Edited:
Nowlin makes some great barrels, and customer service is great to work with. My 9x23 uses a fusion slide and Nowlin barrel... fitted the bushing, touched the hood with a stone and in she went. Am going to fiddle with the link, but everything else is sweet.

Here's what I did.

1. If you have a Colt frame, find a Colt .38S slide or a complete Colt 9mm slide and barrel assembly (N.B. - DID YOU KNOW? Board software interprets the abbreviation of "assembly" as (gasp!) naughty language (!!!) and "censors" it to "bubblegum"? The Dolores Umbridge Brigade never sleeps!).

Complete 9mm slides pop up on Potatobroker or even eVilbay now and then. .38S shoots and functions fine in a Colt 9mm slide in my experience. The slightly larger rim of the .38S is not large enough to cause problems with the 9mm slide face, extractor or ejector.

Look at it from a manufacturer's viewpoint and it just makes sense: Why would we want to have a separate frame setup for each individual caliber when we could just produce ALL our frames to ONE spec and design the different caliber slides to fit and function with that??? To do otherwise would be seriously nutsy-fruitsy.

2. Buy an AFTERMARKET .38 Super barrel that headspaces on the CASE MOUTH. You can also use this barrel in 9x23 and 9mm Largo calibers which are functionally identical chamber spec to .38S. If you want a hotter load, 9x23 makes particular sense in this regard since the 9x23 case is designed to handle stiffer loadings, in contrast to most .38S brass.

FYI: Original Colt .38S barrels are cut to headspace on the CASE RIM (which explains Colt's inclusion of the "semi-rim" on the .38S case), and have no shoulder in the barrel for the case mouth. The only place for the .38S case rim to catch on a Colt barrel is a small shoulder on the bottom of the barrel hood, which is what, about 30degrees of the circumference of the barrel. This results in inconsistent headspace and chambering. This is one of the reasons for the unpopularity of the .38S round over the years.

3. Buy a few .38S and 9x19 magazines. Sometimes 9mm will work through a .38S magazine, sometimes not.

And awaaay we go! Don't have to buy a firearm with all the PITA and background check, cost, etc, that comes with it these days. Don't have to tune or trick-out another frame. Simpler, cheaper and much more versatile. Lastly, now you can shoot cheap 9mm ammo for plinking or practice.

Once you have the .38S or 9mm slide you can use any pistol caliber that has a 9mm case head size by just changing barrels (and sometimes magazines). I have additional barrels for mine in 7.62x25mm (.38S magazine) and .41 Action Express (.40S&W or 10mm magazine). I have also shot .380acp and 9x18 Makarov (9mm magazine) through my 9mm barrel with only an occasional bobble. Your mileage may vary. I also have a 10mm Colt slide and barrels in 10mm and .40S&W which drop onto all my Colt frames and function with no problem. The Colt's are remarkably versatile once you understand them.

(BTW, I betcha didn't know .380acp or .380 Makarov makes a good field-expedient subsonic 9mm round in most 9mm silenced pistols. Yer welcome.)

I do LOVE me some Colt 1911's. :s0115:

There was a time when the feed ramp in the Colt 1911 frame was cut different for 39/9 guns.
Not sure if that's still true. Or seen in all 1911's. So many people make 1911's now.

And with a gun like the Dan Wesson it wouldn't matter as there frames are cut out for ramped barrels.

lifted from the internet.
.45 frame on the left. And 9mm/38 super on the right.

CIMG5961_zps4qgothp8.jpg

Last Edited:
I saw that and it would be great and priced fairly. Bit I want one to shoot and your pistols value is more collectable than shooting.

I understand,
Just to let you know this should be considered as a shooter. ( I do)
They get around $2400 for this "limited edition" with a box and paperwork.
I'm also open to part trades.
Good luck with your search.
Cheers
Jeff

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show