JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I could seat the primers better on my already done loads probably the same amounts as I had misfires in DA.
One caveat on seating primers deeper on loaded rounds- be very careful with stuff like that. The official warning is don't do it at all, due to the risk of one going off in your hand (Ouch!) I will admit that I have done it myself on rare occasion, with safety glasses and heavy gloves, though I know I shouldn't. The risk is very small, but the results could be really bad.

*should* ...but don't really:(. Its unfortunate.
Best of luck to you. I'll be curious to hear if your reloads work better after better primer seating. That would be nice if that was all it was. I suppose it could potentially be a combination of two things- the primer seating as well as a light hammer strike. Let us know how it goes. :)

Will do! Thank you for the Help and enlightening me!

Best of luck to you. I'll be curious to hear if your reloads work better after better primer seating. That would be nice if that was all it was. I suppose it could potentially be a combination of two things- the primer seating as well as a light hammer strike. Let us know how it goes. :)
Yes, please do.

One caveat on seating primers deeper on loaded rounds- be very careful with stuff like that. The official warning is don't do it at all, due to the risk of one going off in your hand (Ouch!) I will admit that I have done it myself on rare occasion, with safety glasses and heavy gloves, though I know I shouldn't. The risk is very small, but the results could be really bad.

Good Lord Jesus! Would someone REALLY try seating primers deeper in a loaded round???? :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
I could seat the primers better on my already done loads probably the same amounts as I had misfires in DA.

I guess so.

Bought some Federal Gold match primers. Surprisingly they seat way better than the winchester. I seated a few flush and a few just a tad high to see if i can recreate the light DA strikes with them. The rest is seated perfect just a tad deeper.

Bought some Federal Gold match primers. Surprisingly they seat way better than the winchester. I seated a few flush and a few just a tad high to see if i can recreate the light DA strikes with them. The rest is seated perfect just a tad deeper.
Ouch. That's a bandaid.. the classic used by super lightened PPC guns for a long time. As I said, personally, I use rifle primers of all makes in my small primer guns, and shot DA, they all go off.
THE traditional test/proof to see if your gun isn't wonked is all CCI spp's go off in DA mode.

Ouch. That's a bandaid.. the classic used by super lightened PPC guns for a long time. As I said, personally, I use rifle primers of all makes in my small primer guns, and shot DA, they all go off.
THE traditional test/proof to see if your gun isn't wonked is all CCI spp's go off in DA mode.

CCI..okay. that's gonna be another test. I will just be trying a bunch of different things. I noticed on my reloads that I've done with the press, the primers are indeed not seated perfect! The first 150 rounds I made was with the lee hand tool set and a dead blow hammer and they had no issues! Its still a learning process afterall :)

There's a video I just saw in the general discussion area, that Colt put out with FAQs about the new Python. They discuss the problem with light primer strikes, and their fix for it. Sounds like primer seating was likely a big part of the issue, but a quick trip back to Colt might be in order too.

Okay I did some testing. All my rounds that I marked as problematic had like strikes. The ones with the primers seated a bit deeper all went off in DA. Winchester and Federal Primers. I just had one small issue towards the end...apperantly I skipped the powdercharge onbone round :oops::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:. So that Put an end to it and I had to drive the bullet out at home

Also, I think I really like Trailboss Powder!

Last Edited:
Ah, the infamous squib load. I did that myself way back in the day, when I was first starting to load. I missed charging half a box of .38s. I learned my lesson by carefully driving a bullet out, then taking apart a half box of ammo. I learned to be very careful after that, never did it again.

The good thing was, I had assembeled the bullet, and somehow i had some sort of intuition and marked it. Thinking i had seated the primer wonky. I fired it and it just went "plop"... 1" down the barrel.:confused: Anyway, drove it out at home no problem.

The good thing was, I had assembeled the bullet, and somehow i had some sort of intuition and marked it. Thinking i had seated the primer wonky. I fired it and it just went "plop"... 1" down the barrel.:confused: Anyway, drove it out at home no problem.

The one, and only, squib I will ever load happened early on after a started hand loading. Same result though, bullet just cleared the cylinder and in to the forcing cone. BUT, and a BIG but, there were still 50 charges of powder in that box of ammo I loaded. See? It's just that one charge was put into one of the other cases. Do you have a double charge in one of the other rounds?

I couldn't for the life of me figure out how I could miss a charge in one and double charge another one? Suffice it to say, that odd shaped piece of .38 sp brass, with the flattest primer you will ever see, sits on my bench in plain view at all times.

Honestly,I don't think I have a double charge (shot the whole other 49 rounds no problem) It was a Magnum too. The Trailboss I used fills the case almost entirely, so I would have noticed the overflow. I noticed it instantly, no impact and no recoil. That bullet was in the barrel good. I destroyed a cleaning rod while trying to pound it out at the range but gave up...

The longer you reload the more you will start feeling differences in the way different brands of primers seat it different brands and lots of cases. I have gotten in the habit of keeping some Remington 5 1/2 sp around just for tight primer pockets like S&B and CBC brass. If the pockets are looser I use S&B, CCI, or Federal. Winchester primers seem to be in between. I load a carpload of .357 and .38 every year and feel-wise I can really tell the difference. Example-- If you can get an S&B primer to seat in a fresh (once fired) S&B or Herters case I want to know your secret. I've got several lots of each and I can't get a S&B primer to fit and seat in any of them without reaming the primer pocket and swearing a lot. Remington primers...no problem they seat just fine and work great.

Others have mentioned using a hand priming tool. I recently started doing that and have been very pleased with the results. I get a lot better feel from the hand tool and I can check each primer easily as it is pulled off the tool. I like it.

Tolerances...all brass and primers are manufactured to within + or - some number down to the thousandths. You can't often see the difference but in the process of reloading you can often feel it if you are paying attention. Some components just fit and work together better than others. It's all part of the journey. It's good that you are ruling out primer seating and cleaning shmootz out of your Colt before you send it back. Troubleshooting issues by eliminating one issue at a time from the outside in is the right way to do it. Simplest and easiest issues first.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top