JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The back one is how i have most of them seated, almost flush if not a little recessed. The front one I reseated a little more. Which one would be better?

IMG_20200218_001323.jpg

Hard to tell from photos, but if you run your finger across them and they feel at least flush, then it's probably not the problem. It doesn't misfire with factory ammo?

Ok so squeeze them in til they move no more :)! Maybe I was a little light in the push.

Factory ammo...hmmm I had 0 misfires with federal 357 mags and 2 with Armscor 38spl. The winchester 38spl worked fine too if i remember correctly. I shot about 150 through the gun the first time out with 0 issues. Another 150 the second time where I had the 2 armscor misfires. And now I shot my reloads through it ..maybe 100...150 again and I had lots of misfires. Makes me believe its the ammo!? I would say probably 1/3 did not go bang in DA but went off in SA

Ok so squeeze them in til they move no more :)! Maybe I was a little light in the push.

Factory ammo...hmmm I had 0 misfires with federal 357 mags and 2 with Armscor 38spl. The winchester 38spl worked fine too if i remember correctly. I shot about 150 through the gun the first time out with 0 issues. Another 150 the second time where I had the 2 armscor misfires. And now I shot my reloads through it ..maybe 100...150 again and I had lots of misfires. Makes me believe its the ammo!? I would say probably 1/3 did not go bang in DA but went off in SA

It's your gun.

Any misfires at all with factory ammo would lead me believe that there's an issue with the gun.

I don't know much about Pythons, but on a Smith I'd check the mainspring tension screw. On a brand new Python, I think I'd call Colt and get them to fix it. You pay that much for a nice gun, they should provide first class warranty service.

I would suggest a couple things.

firmly seat the primers fully into the cartridges (batch of 50 or so)

If these are sized I would suggest that you attempt to fire them in double action as is with no bullet or powder, this can eliminate the primer seating or sourcing issues as a potential problem.

Do so with new lot of primers (brand new) and handle with gloves...granted this is probably just my paranoia speaking as I handle my entire reloading setup with gloves on.

Be carful as even just a primer is quite loud and as always point in a safe direction. This should help eliminate the primer or the gun as a suspect.

Maybe the timing is shot already. I think you alluded to horsing the trigger/hammer.. you can't do that with a Colt. Matter a fact, if you short-stroke one a them at full speed you'll probably have to have it serviced by a master pistol smith to re-time it.

really

I don't think the pistol is whacked. I could actually shoot a whole cylinder pretty fast.

I just checked some 40 cases that I had already sized and primed and on all of them, I could seat the primer just a little deeper. I could seat the primers better on my already done loads probably the same amounts as I had misfires in DA.

I think its a combination of the Python having a really light DA pull (just like the old ones btw) and the primers not seating all the way. I won't be able to try it this month probably but I'll check it, if it continues being a big issue, then yes I'll have to make use of the warranty. I bought the 3 year warranty at sportsmans...they can deal with it then.

Any misfires at all with factory ammo would lead me believe that there's an issue with the gun.

I don't know much about Pythons, but on a Smith I'd check the mainspring tension screw. On a brand new Python, I think I'd call Colt and get them to fix it. You pay that much for a nice gun, they should provide first class warranty service.
*should* ...but don't really:(. Its unfortunate. I know what potentially causes the light strikes as I investigated the function of the gun and could technically fix this myself. its either that the spring needs more tension or the firing pin needs to come out a tad more (too much material on the hammer where it contacts the frame).

However, on a 1500 dollar gun,it should be perfect coming out of the factory but is a 5min fix worth waiting 10weeks? Idk.

Last Edited:
Best of luck to you. I'll be curious to hear if your reloads work better after better primer seating. That would be nice if that was all it was. I suppose it could potentially be a combination of two things- the primer seating as well as a light hammer strike. Let us know how it goes. :)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top