JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Its the new Colt. Weird enough, It starts happening after it gets a little dirty. I know the old pythons were prone to do this too. It only happens in DA. Weird enough, when I first got it, I shot 200rds no problem!

edit. I might have been an Idiot and got too much oil in the firing pin :oops: Enough to have carbon slow it down probably!?

What powder are you using? I have a Ruger that will completely stop functioning as I approach 100 rds with dirty powder, but will fire till I get carpal tunnel with clean powder.

So, I have a seemingly stupid question. I have a bunch of different 38 brass that I saved and since I'll be picking up my new python next week (wohooo excitement) I bough the lee handloading kit for 38spl and 200 Hornady 110gr hollowpoints. I know the python is 357 mag but i also got a 38 snub, so that comes in handy and I want to shoot those more and also load defensive rounds.

Question is, would I use the same primers for all different casings in the picture? They seem the same size but I am not 100% sure. Or is there only one primer size for 38spl?

View attachment 653027
Yes you would use small pistol primers in the .38 special loads for both guns. But if you use a powder like Win. 296 you would need mag primers for the mag. Do not load .38's with win 296. Big boom .38 comes apart.

Its the new Colt. Weird enough, It starts happening after it gets a little dirty. I know the old pythons were prone to do this too. It only happens in DA. Weird enough, when I first got it, I shot 200rds no problem!

edit. I might have been an Idiot and got too much oil in the firing pin :oops: Enough to have carbon slow it down probably!?

There's not a lot of powder residue that gets into a revolver firing pin. I don't know if it's even possible to get enough powder residue in the firing pin passage? We are talking revolver? Mebee the primers weren't seated all the way?

I'm using Universal powder but am almost out of it! I found load data for the WST I have and tested some, its way cleaner. The Universal seems dirty.

Also, just used some cleaner and worked it in the firing pin hole,had a little crud come out. Maybe from the factory? who knows.

About Primer seating. There isn't much to do with the press, other than giving it a good push, no?

Yea, it might just be dirty. If the chambers are crudded up it could soften the firing pin hit if some of that force is used to move the cartridge forward sluggishly instead of it being able to move freely.

Incorrect primer seating is a major cause of misfires. The primer should be flush or slightly below flush. If it's proud at all (sticks up), then the anvil won't be fully seated against the base of the primer pocket, and that causes misfires.

The brand of case doesn't matter. Nickel plateing or brass doesn't matter. Flush primers are good in revolvers, but crucial in semi autos. If the slide(pistols), or bolt in a rifle hit a high primer, it can go off and explode the face of the bolt, right in your face. Be careful.

Hm. I'm gonna check that. What I've done is, I ran my finger/fingernail across to see if they are fully seated. I'll have a look at that!

It may not be the problem, but it is a pretty common one. Many years ago when I first started loading, I had a Dan Wesson .357 Magnum. I was having the same trouble: misfiring in double action. That was when I learned about seating the primers all the way, a few thousandths below flush. I did that and all my misfire troubles went away.

It may not be the problem, but it is a pretty common one. Many years ago when I first started loading, I had a Dan Wesson .357 Magnum. I was having the same trouble: misfiring in double action. That was when I learned about seating the primers all the way, a few thousandths below flush. I did that and all my misfire troubles went away.
You might have given me the solution. I checked a couple rounds and on some I was able to seat the primer just a tad more. Now, how crucial is it that I use the primer pocket scraper? :rolleyes:

About Primer seating. There isn't much to do with the press, other than giving it a good push, no?

Maybe it's just me, but, I feel better using a hand primer. I can feel that primer seat. Some brass has tighter primer cups, some looser. Some even "crunch" kind of(Sellier & Bellot 9mm brass). My thinking is that using your press, beside being a pain to place each primer on the little hootie, you lose feel for when the primer is seated properly. My Rock Chucker kit came with the hand primer. I will always use that. I know there are quite a few others around here that like to hand prime.

Looking at your misfires, were the primers dented in like the ones that did fire? If so, your seating wasn't proper.

You might have given me the solution. I checked a couple rounds and on some I was able to seat the primer just a tad more. Now, how crucial is it that I use the primer pocket scraper? :rolleyes:

Honestly I've never found it to be terribly important to clean primer pockets, unless they're really bad. I've loaded many thousands of round without, with never a misfire. Nowadays I wet tumble so primer pockets are nice and clean, but I don't think it's critical at all.

Now, how crucial is it that I use the primer pocket scraper? :rolleyes:

I've never used one, and had no issues. However, after priming, if you tap the case on the table black come out of the case. My belief is that the residual bunt powder in the primer cup has broken loose with seating. I always tap the case on the table before charging.

I should say, loading rifle I hit the pockets with a primer pocket tool.

Maybe it's just me, but, I feel better using a hand primer. I can feel that primer seat. Some brass has tighter primer cups, some looser. Some even "crunch" kind of(Sellier & Bellot 9mm brass). My thinking is that using your press, beside being a pain to place each primer on the little hootie, you lose feel for when the primer is seated properly. My Rock Chucker kit came with the hand primer. I will always use that. I know there are quite a few others around here that like to hand prime.

Looking at your misfires, were the primers dented in like the ones that did fire? If so, your seating wasn't proper.

I agree. I don't even use the priming system on my Dillon 550. Not that there's anything wrong with it; I just like to size and prep my brass beforehand, then sit in front of the TV with the RCBS hand priming tool and prime a few hundred pieces at a time. It makes for really quick, easy loading on the 550 when they're all primed ahead of time.

I agree. I don't even use the priming system on my Dillon 550. Not that there's anything wrong with it; I just like to size and prep my brass beforehand, then sit in front of the TV with the RCBS hand priming tool and prime a few hundred pieces at a time. It makes for really quick, easy loading on the 550 when they're all primed ahead of time.

You bring up sitting in front of the TV priming. I can't. I've tried. Invariably I'll do something that has me searching the primed container, for the unprimed piece of brass. Or, some how losing a primer in one or the other, or in the sofa. Nope, I hand prime at the table. Just the kind of guy I am I guess. :)

I only tumble in walnut media and prime my pistol calibers using my Hornady Lock-n-Load, I haven't really ever had priming issues in the various calibers I load. The pockets come out "ok", not as clean as those that tumble wet or use ultrasonic cleaning. I occasionally hand prime my rifle stuff but didn't for a number of years.

All that is to say unless your primer pockets are so grimy they aren't allowing a seating, I don't think it's the press vs hand priming. After all the press has way more leverage when seating.

There are a lot of people that reload their pistol brass without even cleaning it!

You bring up sitting in front of the TV priming. I can't. I've tried. Invariably I'll do something that has me searching the primed container, for the unprimed piece of brass. Or, some how losing a primer in one or the other, or in the sofa. Nope, I hand prime at the table. Just the kind of guy I am I guess. :)

Having your wife run over a primer with the vacuum cleaner is the fastest way to a divorce or potentially a heart attack... I don't take credit for this advice ....er warning. :p

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top