JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
B02, member: 45969"]
I was trying to avoid buying another powder and use what I have to load my shotshells but "oh well...."
[/QUOTE]

The saying, "Jack of all trades, master of none," can apply to powders. Sure, there are definitely some that work well in various cartridges, as some other very good posts have noted. But recommend you don't get too locked onto a one powder, several cartridges bandwagon too early.

And this here...
Powders that "meter well" are your huckleberry.

This is handloading GOLD right here!!!

Okay so i picked up some Universal powder.That was one recommended in the Lee chart. So far, I loaded all my 150 rounds no problem. Its a tidious process with the handloader but I optimized it putting the punch in my drillpress and just using that instead if a hammer. Works really well. I decap all first, then resize, reprime, then powder/projectile/crimp. Getting the hang of it but probably gonna get a better 3 stage press or so soon after the handloader has payed off.

I loaded some 158gr Plated bullets to try but mostly 110gr Hornady XTP rounds.

One question I have. the OAL, how does that affect pressures? The lee chart gives different OAL for different Projectiles.

One question I have. the OAL, how does that affect pressures? The lee chart gives different OAL for different Projectiles.

Can't say for sure, as long as you're only talking .010"-.020". Different bullet profiles will have different OALs assigned to them 124gr FMJ round nose will show a different OAL than 124gr FMJ hollow point and a flat point bullet will be different. The bases of the bullets will be in the same place in the cartridge. I consider it more important to do a plunk test to make sure your bullet profile of choice does not jam into the lands(riflings) of the barrel. Reloading Tips: The Plunk Test For instance, I load three different OALs with the same bullet for our 9mm guns. I had to because in one gun the lands are so close to the chamber that my bullet of choice hit the lands to the point the gun wouldn't go into battery using book recommended OAL.. I only had to shorten OAL .030". I run minimum established load in that gun, and have no signs of high pressure. I'm also using a slightly slower powder to help reduce the chance of pressure spikes. In Wifey's CZ I ran the bullet out to 1.095 because that is just .005 under where it contacts the lands.

I would use what ever the book recommends for similar bullet IE: FMJ, FMJHP, FMJ Flat point. And you also have to be aware of the different velocities recommendations for different bullet make up. FMJ, plated and cast.

Your OAL will effect pressures. The smaller the case the more dramatic the increase/decrease. Also different projectiles have different canelures (where the crimp goes) and that can effect the OAL and case fill as well. As was mentioned above (beat me to it @Mikej )

My go to "do all" soft shooting powder is 700x, but it is tricky to meter well.

So, I have a seemingly stupid question. I have a bunch of different 38 brass that I saved and since I'll be picking up my new python next week (wohooo excitement) I bough the lee handloading kit for 38spl and 200 Hornady 110gr hollowpoints. I know the python is 357 mag but i also got a 38 snub, so that comes in handy and I want to shoot those more and also load defensive rounds.
Nobody mentioned anything on this yet but you may want to rethink that. Not everyone but most would advise against using reloaded ammo for self defense. If you did use it, it could be used against you in court by the lawyers.

Edit: I use Blue Dot or Unique for 357/38 along with most other handgun rounds.

Okay so i picked up some Universal powder.That was one recommended in the Lee chart. So far, I loaded all my 150 rounds no problem. Its a tidious process with the handloader but I optimized it putting the punch in my drillpress and just using that instead if a hammer. Works really well. I decap all first, then resize, reprime, then powder/projectile/crimp. Getting the hang of it but probably gonna get a better 3 stage press or so soon after the handloader has payed off.

I loaded some 158gr Plated bullets to try but mostly 110gr Hornady XTP rounds.

With universal the low end loads might be anemic in your workup. Watch for squibs. Make sure the barrel is clear for any follow up shots. Every gun is a little different you might not have a problem. I think the book loads for universal are too low on the starting charges with heavy bullets like the 158 but that's my experience with my guns.

As far as OAL...with a small case capacity like a 9mm or 40 cal it's something you really want to keep an eye on. The 38 special is relatively huge for the size of bullet (it's basically a 9mm but the case is like twice as long!). Lots of empty space in there you really don't need to worry much about crowding the powder unless it's a special projectile like a wadcutter that seats deep in the case or a special powder like trailboss with some kind of weird elongated bullet. It's a very forgiving case.

That said use good common sense when you're doing your workup and look for signs of overpressure or under pressure. Flattened primers, chamber face marks on the base of the brass, ridiculous felt recoil, and perhaps most importantly in a revolver hard ejection. Signs of overpressure. Under pressure-soot half-way down the case, inconsistent ignition, low recoil and the very dangerous squib that sticks in the barrel.

It's all in the details.

Nobody mentioned anything on this yet but you may want to rethink that. Not everyone but most would advise against using reloaded ammo for self defense. If you did use it, it could be used against you in court by the lawyers.

Edit: I use Blue Dot or Unique for 357/38 along with most other handgun rounds.
They hung Daniel Boone by his balls because he didn't use factory loads.

not really

d'oh. Is there a way to resize already primed,powdered and bulleted cartridges? I just picked up the python and the chamers are so tight, only half my reloads fit in smoothly. (waaay sweet revolver btw. Absolutely flawless and smooth)

I have a theory on what happened, I might have bulged them a tad on the bottom when i squeezed the crimp.:confused: some of them fit half way, others fit "almost all the way". I can get them in but need to tap the ejector lightly with a piece of wood or so to get the ejection going.

d'oh. Is there a way to resize already primed,powdered and bulleted cartridges? I just picked up the python and the chamers are so tight, only half my reloads fit in smoothly. (waaay sweet revolver btw. Absolutely flawless and smooth)

I have a theory on what happened, I might have bulged them a tad on the bottom when i squeezed the crimp.:confused: some of them fit half way, others fit "almost all the way". I can get them in but need to tap the ejector lightly with a piece of wood or so to get the ejection going.
If you know someone with a single stage press you can run them in a lee factory crimp die for .38/.357. It has a carbide sizing ring that will take the wrinkles out for you. I'd let you use mine but it's a long drive from Beaverton to Elko.

Weird thing is, the shot cases came all out of my taurus ultralight. And the ones that don't fit in the Python chamber still fit in the taurus smoothly. Maybe I'll just shoot them with this one...

How many did you load up?

+1 on the Lee factory crimp die, run one on all my wheel gun ammo. Unfortunately for you that would require a press.

The reason it may work on the Taurus and not the colt is a matter of tolerances the colt is going to be a much tighter firearm than the Taurus.

Well... I loaded a total of about 150. I wanna say at least... 60 or so have that issue. I am gonna look into that crimpdie, I'm sure i could make that work somehow.

Well... I loaded a total of about 150. I wanna say at least... 60 or so have that issue. I am gonna look into that crimpdie, I'm sure i could make that work somehow.
Somebody up your way probably has an old press collecting dust that they'd let go for 25 bucks. Check the NWFA classifieds.

Depending on how far you want to go down the rabbit hole and what kind of press you want, you can pick up a new single stage Lee for about 65 bucks online or spend a lot more if you choose.

You could probably rig something up with your drill press that 'might' work, but it sounds like you are interested in reloading perhaps it's time to get the basics and set up a small bench. All you really need for .38/.357 is a simple press, a scale, calipers, and dies.

Did you trim your cases after sizing? Cartridges that use a roll crimp need to be uniform in length. Say, all withing .003" I prefer .002". If the brass is not uniform in length, depending on where you set the die to roll crimp, you will have crimps that are too little, too much= (folded brass) and just right depending on length of the brass. Folded brass won't chamber depending on the fold. There's something else for your re-loading bench! A case trimmer! :s0115: And you though this was going to be Sooo simple. :s0114: Nah, just busting your chops. I'm just visualizing what is was like when I started. All these old timers here don't remember the screw-ups because they've been at it so long.:D

Something to consider...Don't load up 150 rounds of one powder/one powder weight. Load up 50, with ten rounds of each powder weight and label them.

Something else, use more than one source for recipes. Universal wouldn't have been my choice. I find it in my books but it's only listed in one for heavy cast and in the other only gives one weight on the heavy side with a DNR (Do Not Reduce) on the light side. That kind of confirms what @ageingstudent is saying about being cautious with Universal.

A factory crimp die will not change the fact that you need to have uniform length brass. You have calipers, right? I should have said above that if your already using all the same manufacturer brass, that you shot from new, it could be that the brass length is okay. That would mean you just need to get used to the feel of you tool when crimping so you don't over crimp/fold brass..

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top