JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
LOng story, short version. I bought the Ruger LCR in 38 spl because it feels great to carry, nice and light and I have most of the reloading components already. Some brass is at least 25 years old, still in the box plus lots of range pickups.
I made up 6 batches of 5 rds each to settle down on a load. I want to be able to shoot it comfortably and often as I live close to our gun club. I made up 3 with Unique that I use in my 9mm loading and one Bullseye, because the powder was here from 9mm testing. I also found some loads for 2400 but the information is not to available. I have a keg plus some 1 pound tins of 2400 from a group buy years and years ago. I was using it for .357 and it was going to be used for some bulk shotgun loads that never happened. I also use mostly CCI primers, because that is what I started out with and never have had a problem at all. Some of those are old also and never failed yet.
I emailed the manf of the 2400 about a load for 38 spl, my email was off a few days and I was not on line. I wanted to run the test before we went on vacation. I got out my log book, made my notes and set up the test rounds.
the 2400 loads were from a book on the 38 spl +p listing and I backed those off a little.
When at the range, I was using a rest I built mainly for control and it works for dialing in a laser setup. My groups of Unique shot fine although there were some light strikes on the brass. The Bullseye loads were the best group. I ran the first group of 2400 and had a squib and didn't realize it. I then worked with the RSO sorting thru what had happened and it appears I was lucky and pushed the light one out into the catch box. On the next string we were paying more attention round to round. My 3rd round went light and we cease fired. Sure enough, one stuck in the barrel.
I hustled thru and got the revolver off on UPS after the factory suggested a safety check. I also was back on line and got the email about the 2400 not being a good combo for this setup.
The folks at Ruger put in a new barrel, firing pin, latch cap and cylinder. Tested it and sent it back. All at no charge to me. Great customer service. No lecture on reloads or so on just a focus on making sure the revolver is safe. I own many Ruger products and will continue to do so.

Ruger has a reputation for great customer service. Good to hear that an American company is still going strong. Now that they've helped you out, not a bad idea to click on the CEO link on their website and let them know you appreciate how you were treated. They might even send some swag your way ;).

For snub nosed 38spl I use W-231 or Accurate #5.
Slow powders require adequate pressure for a good burn, to get 2400 to work in a snub 38 you would be beyond 38 spl +P pressures.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews