JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Speaking of S&W model 10s, here's a Model 10-7 that I picked up a couple years ago. I probably paid a bit on the high side for a used gun, but it has the best trigger pull I've ever felt. Light, crisp single action, and amazingly smooth double action. Someone put some work into it.

model 10.jpg

When I downsized over the past few years, I kept six handguns:
1 ea .22 LR
2 ea .38 Special
3 ea 9mm Para
1 ea .357 Magnum

There is no interest in firearms or shooting within my family -- except my grandson, age 12. So I've concentrated my proselytizing efforts on him. Already he has learned to shoot the .22 Ruger Mark II, the .38 special Model 10, and the Glock 19. He is also proficient with the AR in .223. If guns are still allowed by the time he attains his majority, he'll likely get some or all of these.

I have a mint 1980 Python. Only 12 rds through it. Six by the original owner and six by me.
The problem is that it's to nice to shoot. It's a true safe queen.
Brilliant polished stainless steel.

View attachment 1354233

That's like having a REALLY hot wife that decided to go only totally labeshian the day after the honeymoon, but still loves you and doesn't want a divorce.

I doubt 38 spl is any less deadly now than it ever was. It's just that gun company's need to sell guns. And to do that they need something new.
I carry a J frame mostly because it pocket carries so much easier. DR
I love the J-Frame. Mine gets shot with 38 Special sometimes. My grandson shoots it a fair amount with 38 Specials, but I think he really prefers my Model 10. I bought the Model 10-10 a couple of years ago and feel that I got a great deal on it.

60 wood.jpg Model 10-10.jpg

S&W 15-1 .38Spl. for accuracy. :)

S&W 469 9mm for fire power. :s0001:
Wow, blast from the past.

The model 15 combat masterpiece was the second revolver I ever owned.

The 469 was my first double stack 9mm and first EDC (back when Oregon was a "may issue", not a "shall issue" state). Pretty innovative for the time (mid-80's).

Both have long since found new owners.

We all probably have firearms that - upon hindsight - we wish we had never sold. These two fit that description for me - especially the Model 15.

The 469 was my first double stack 9mm and first EDC (back when Oregon was a "may issue", not a "shall issue" state). Pretty innovative for the time (mid-80's).

Both have long since found new owners.

We all probably have firearms that - upon hindsight - we wish we had never sold. These two fit that description for me - especially the Model 15.
I've had three mods done. The 469 always shot low, so I had the slide milled and a low profile Glock, orange fiberoptic, front sight installed. She now shoots POA at 25 yards. I liked that so well, I had an orange fiberoptic front sight put on the 15-1. I also had the magazine lockout removed from the 469 :)
* I load the Keith 148gr.HP for both

Last Edited:
Pretty sure my BIL was issued a S&W Model 15 38spl revolver when he became a sheriff deputy back in the mid 1980s. He bought a stainless steel 686-1 357 magnum revolver with a 6" barrel but used department ammunition which was 38spl of some kind.

I had a Model 15 made before S&W used model numbers. It was all but brand new when I bought it. I traded it off years ago for a 649 357 that I traded....
There are a few that pain me when I think about the fact that I let them go.
But doing things like that allowed me to own and experience a lot more guns. I learned a lot.

I have a Charter Arms Undercover in .38spl.+P not that I would run +P through it. It suits me just fine with med. loads with a 115-125gr. Hollow Points and 3) spd loaders.
Its my main carry along with now a Remington R-51 9mm just ready to be carried.
As to the comments about a matching carbine/rifle I would love to have a model 92 Winchester copy in .357mag/38spl.
But what I would really like is Colt Lightning pump repop. In .357mag. But real hard to come by.

..As to the .38 Spl, it will do everything that it ever could and substantially more with modern propellants and bullet technology. It is every bit as powerful as 9P as both will drive a 124/125 grain to about 1200 fps. It does this with lower pressure due to larger case capacity, about 2X IIRC.
Paul Harrell shows the 9mm about edges out the .357 magnum in short barrels..