JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
For a cartridge that's been around for over 120 years, it's still here. The most accurate revolver I have ever owned was a 38, a model 14 s&w, sadly stolen. While not considered a manstopper presently, it was for a long time, and it is still an option for concealed carry.
I currently have a model 49 in the carry rotation. Loaded with 148 grain fully seated wadcutters, my favorite most accurate load. With only 5 rounds I opt for quality over quantity.
I traded into a model 10 at the same time as the model 49. It is a likely candidate to be turned into a ppc revolver, just gotta find the cash.
So, where is the love? I'm sure there are a few of you out there.

I love .38 Special but it's always been a little bit spendy vs. 9mm unless you reload. I only have the one revolver (a 586 6") and I would buy another one but for ammo cost. I agree it is a really fun plinking cartridge.

I doubt 38 spl is any less deadly now than it ever was. It's just that gun company's need to sell guns. And to do that they need something new.
I carry a J frame mostly because it pocket carries so much easier. DR

Love to shoot 38 spl. I've got 4 firearms chambered for 38, including a lever action rifle. Easy and inexpensive to hand load, so I can shoot a ton of it. Especially fun with the rifle.

As @Cerberus Group pointed out, some great defensive loads have been developed. I wouldn't hesitate to EDC 38 spl in my snubby.

The .38 Special always stuck me as one of the Rodney Dangerfield cartridges — "no respect". It is a fine defensive revolver cartridge and they've produced a gazillion of them for a good reason. However, as mentioned, overshadowed by other options in their class; spicy 9x19㎜ loads with a half a box of ammo capacity, .357 Magnum speed demons, et al.

Practically speaking, I find the cartridge appropriate for at least a couple different rôles: low recoil plinking with full-size revolvers loaded with (relatively) cheap ammo and conceal carry with appropriate defensive loads. Both have been eclipsed by the .44s in recent years, but still quite serviceable.

Yuppers, .38 special currently on the belt (S&W 642). Loaded with 125gr Gold Dots @ +P velocities is sufficient for me. Carry several reloads for it.

95600F7D-796C-48EE-AF5E-945A2D26BAB7.jpeg

The .38 Special always stuck me as one of the Rodney Dangerfield cartridges — "no respect". It is a fine defensive revolver cartridge and they've produced a gazillion of them for a good reason. However, as mentioned, overshadowed by other options in their class; spicy 9x19㎜ loads with a half a box of ammo capacity, .357 Magnum speed demons, et al.

Practically speaking, I find the cartridge appropriate for at least a couple different rôles: low recoil plinking with full-size revolvers loaded with (relatively) cheap ammo and conceal carry with appropriate defensive loads. Both have been eclipsed by the .44s in recent years, but still quite serviceable.
:s0112: I'm glad I'm not the only one that sees gun cartridges in that kind of light!

I see The .38 Special as a svelte Lady. Attractive, unassuming. She can be very gentle, or, be quite hurtful, if necessary. She belongs to revolvers.

I wonder how well today's .38spl loadings would have fared against the Moros back in beginning of the last century and whether .45acp would have still been adopted.
I suspect even the original .38 Special loads would have done much better than the .38 Long Colt that was used in the Moro wars. I suspect our troupes would have welcomed the additional power of the 38sp along with the ease of maintaining a firearm that benefited from the new smokeless powder. I imagine maintaining a black powder (38 LC) revolver in a humid climate wasn't all that easily.

38 long Colt vs 38sp