JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
No idea on pistols, but the few rifles that do use a rimmed cartridge can use more than just FMJ... But rimmed rifle cartridges are few these days.

Why is it the pistols could only use wadcutters? Is it harder to make em run with anything else?

As I remember it the Coonan wasn't too reliable and that's why it didn't last. Rimmed handgun ammunition is just not meant to function in automatics. :)

If you are referring to the S&W Model 52-2 it's because it was designed to be a Target Gun. And that's what Target Guns shoot.
And they shoot beautifully.
Punch nice, clean holes as well.

Looky here, even the mag is set up for flush-seated wadcutters....
SL-0315-4.jpg

So they just made it designed solely around wadcutters and nothing else?

But anything else though? There are semiauto rifles with rimmed cartridges but not pistols, is this because the grip would be too long with them?
.22 is a big deal. There's been a pile a semi-auto guns made in that caliber over the years.

Many rimmed cartridges run out of stacked magazines, like the 44 Magnum in the Ruger carbine, the 303 British in millions of Enfields and I know there are many more I need to dig out of my grey matter. Rimless does run better but I suspect there just wasn't enough demand for a 38 Special semi auto for every day use. The M52 is an incredible handgun made to standards higher than the typical Smith. I am not sure why anyone would want a 38 Special semi auto when 9mm is so ubiquitous and ballistically so similar.

Last Edited:
Odd how the Russkies kept to 7.62x54R... But mainly DMR role now anyways, some machine gun use too but belted I think.

But for handguns I only ever thought it was .22 LR, never heard of .38 special in a semiauto pistol. Is it due to lack of demand? Grip being too long? Or both?

Colt built a 1911 as a target 38 special and Smith built the model 52 as their target 38 for the shooting of the Bullseye competition. Used to be the world was in search of accuracy but the games changed to moving accuracy shooting. The 52-2 is a fine gun that shoots in the same place over and over again.:)

The 52-2 is one sweeet beast. I got to shoot one quite a few years ago with a red dot on it. Talk about a confidence booster. There is one at my local gun shop that I've been drooling over. Way out of my price range though.

A friend of mine shot 38 Super out of his 38 sp revolver, 1st time shooting it, didn't know there was a difference. He got lucky and was able to get the case out of the chamber and the gun didn't take a poo. His eyes lit up pretty good when I explained the difference. I was actually kind of surprised that it went off, the bullet must have been against the forcing cone or something to get it to sit tight enough for the firing pin to punch it.

Not that it's related in any way, this thread just made me think of it :)

Two Questions:

1) Why does there not appear to be any 38 Special semi-automatics?

2) Sig P320 Full Sized. I own a 9mm and if I were to buy the .357 caliber x-change kit would I be able to ALSO shoot 38 Special with it? Safely? I own a Ruger GP100 revolver and can do this no problem, made for it. Are there limitations with this caliber or set-up preventing me to do so?

Caliber X-Change Kit, P320 Full, .357SIG, BLK, 14 Round Mag

Thanks for the clarity.

There is a 38 super automatic .

Just because something can be made to shoot doesn't mean it will be optimal, the .38 as mentioned, is designed for use is a revolver, the OAL itself prohibits the use in many semi-auto pistols. Personally, if I buy a 38 I want it to shoot all 38s not just recessed wadcutter ammo, that is the virtue of a revolver, they will digest ammo types and loads that will choke a pistol.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top