JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm very intrigued by the new LCR, but the big draw back no matter how hard she practices the slide is a struggle for her. This is the full reason for the switch to a revolver

I'm definitely a revolver guy, but every woman I have introduced to a revolver has hated the trigger pull. The LCR 357 is my favorite snubby, but a snub is not a good beginner's gun.
You can overcome the slide racking issue with body mechanics - hold the slide with the support hand, the grip with the strong hand and just push the arm & body forward, no need for hand strength.

We've spent several sessions working on mechanics, she's watched several videos produced by women to no avail. We will hit the range before any definite decision is made.

If you can try a 3" sp 101, she might like it though the trigger is not like the LCR. If the short sight radius on the lCR 357 is no problem, it would be a good choice. Practicing at 3-5 yrds might help too.

I'm not talking about the new striker-fired LC9s. The New LCR in 9mm i mentioned is in fact a revolver, not a semi-auto. It uses moon clips to allow the use of 9mm ammo. That's why I mentioned it. Should be a great shooter.

Also as a side mention the Ruger LC380 is the same size as a LC9 but the slide is easier to rack. A soft shooter by most accounts too. The .380 is 9MM Short. the .38, .357 Mag, 9MM Luger (Long) and .380 all fire a .357 diameter bullet (Projectile) but weights and length of the actual bullet and the amount of propellant behind them vary. .380's are usually around 90 to 100 grains, 9MM Luger has 115, 124 and 147 grains that seem most popular. 38 Special and .357 Mag seems to use 125 to 158 Grains mostly with the .357 packing more propellant.

On a side note I was wondering if you could fire .380s in a 9mm revolver with moon clips, not much different from using .38s in a .357.

Used S & W non lock 6 shot in stainless. If the trigger is an issue, send it to a well known smith for a trigger job. Also you must teach her proper speedloader technique

Two methods:

Here is a good read.

You are correct that .357 may have double the velocity. If they are out of 4 inch + barrels. 2 inch not so much. The stuff you read on ammo boxes is tested for "standard" pistols. .357 and .38 are usually standard at 4 inch barrels. it's basic physics. Cut the barrel, lose some velocity. There are some ammos that can perform well at 2 inch barrels but still have way more recoil and muzzle flash, neither of which are optimal in a shootout.

Read up. <broken link removed>

Just a simple load and pleasant to shoot in the J frames.
If you reload, it is easy, if you don't just get a lee loader or an old Lyman tong tool.
The load is 3 gr bullseye and a 148 gr bullet. Lead or jacketed.
It is a fast burning powder and good for the 2" and a light quick load for practice and will work for a SD load in a pinch. Just a simple powder measure for 3 gr bullseye, eliminates the need for a scale even. I did thousands of those loads when I first began reloading back in the late 50's and early 60's for myself and then for my wife to practice with. If you are handy, and do have a scale, you can make an easy measure with a rod, or as in mine, I soldered a mini screwdriver to the side of a cut down 38 case and filed it to the correct length to give me 3 gr of bullseye. It is quick and the full portable reloading tools and supplies can be carried in a small tackle box or shoebox.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top