JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Here is a good read.

You are correct that .357 may have double the velocity. If they are out of 4 inch + barrels. 2 inch not so much. The stuff you read on ammo boxes is tested for "standard" pistols. .357 and .38 are usually standard at 4 inch barrels. it's basic physics. Cut the barrel, lose some velocity. There are some ammos that can perform well at 2 inch barrels but still have way more recoil and muzzle flash, neither of which are optimal in a shootout.

Read up. <broken link removed>

I've had a good variety of revolvers over time. For an average female shooter, any .357 is going to be very difficult to manage after the first shot. She'd be better served with a straight .38 Special or one that handles +P ammo. In terms of pocket/purse options, I've had multiple J-Frames, Ruger SP-101s, and LCRs, including the .357 LCR model. Of all of them, the Ruger LCR is by far the best for this purpose. It has an excellent trigger right out of the box, a variety of easily obtained and installed sight options, great energy absorbing grips, and is light enough and small enough to tuck away easily. I have absolutely no idea where the poster got the idea they're unreliable. And if there is a problem, there's is no manufacturer better than Ruger in making it right and quickly. I would get the .357 model, though, since it's wickedly strong. The cylinder is slightly longer to handle the .357 rounds and the central frame of the .357 LCR is all steel, not a mix of steel and polymer as it is in the other versions. I don't see how you could do better, given the OP's purpose.

I've had a good variety of revolvers over time. For an average female shooter, any .357 is going to be very difficult to manage after the first shot. She'd be better served with a straight .38 Special or one that handles +P ammo. In terms of pocket/purse options, I've had multiple J-Frames, Ruger SP-101s, and LCRs, including the .357 LCR model. Of all of them, the Ruger LCR is by far the best for this purpose. It has an excellent trigger right out of the box, a variety of easily obtained and installed sight options, great energy absorbing grips, and is light enough and small enough to tuck away easily. I have absolutely no idea where the poster got the idea they're unreliable. And if there is a problem, there's is no manufacturer better than Ruger in making it right and quickly. I would get the .357 model, though, since it's wickedly strong. The cylinder is slightly longer to handle the .357 rounds and the central frame of the .357 LCR is all steel, not a mix of steel and polymer as it is in the other versions. I don't see how you could do better, given the OP's purpose.

That's more on track with what I was thinking. .357's are just built better then .38's.

If your gal can handle full loads then great! Otherwise drop the powder load down.

But you can never move up into a .357 in a .38 frame.

The .357 Magnum round was originally designed by Elmer Keith to be fired from 6" steel-framed heavy duty revolvers. If Keith were alive today, I think he would laugh at anyone who loaded it into an airweight snubbie. Loading Magnum rounds into an airweight snub is like taking a 500HP big-block V8 with headers and a supercharger and cramming it into a factory Hyundai Accent chassis with stock tires and suspension. You can probably make it fit, and it will smoke those tires off and make lots of noise and whip your head back every time you floor the pedal, but good luck keeping it on the road and out of the ditch.

Don't worry too much about not having a .357.. especially out of an eleven ounce gun.. especially for someone that's recoil shy from the getgo. a modern .38 can be loaded with +P+ rounds and most of these he men would/will cry/byatch that it kicks too much and go to a heavier platform and or a weaker load.

Don't worry too much about not having a .357.. especially out of an eleven ounce gun.. especially for someone that's recoil shy from the getgo. a modern .38 can be loaded with +P+ rounds and most of these he men would/will cry/byatch that it kicks too much and go to a heavier platform and or a weaker load.

My wife is about 5"-2'' under 140 lbs and shoots the X- ring out of a 15 yard target using her 13oz. Ported .38 Spcl. with +p ammo. She never has a Btch until she puts about thirty five rounds out in practice, five at a time during a rapid fire session.
Silver Hand

My wife is about 5"-2'' under 140 lbs and shoots the X- ring out of a 15 yard target using her 13oz. Ported .38 Spcl. with +p ammo. She never has a bubblegum until she puts about thirty five rounds out in practice, five at a time during a rapid fire session.
Well heavens to Betsy.. time to move up to +P+ and hit a squirrel in the eye at 100yds double action.

I once threw a pop can out about 1/2 full when it hit the ground and still moving I drew my .357 mod 66 -4'' Smith and shot from the hip five times every shot sent the can moving and jumping in the air, There was a crowd.
I quit at five and one gent approached and asked - Why did you not shoot the last one. I told him I never keep an MT gun. The truth was I still could not figure out how I hit it so many times in the first place. About 4 grains of 700X behind a 148 grain cast lead wad cutter
Silver Hand

Last Edited:
Im a big guy with big hands and I am not recoil shy by any means...but I choose to load .38+p rounds in my steel framed Taurus 651 snubbie because there is simply too much recoil with .357 rounds for me to make fast, accurate follow up shots in a self defense situation and the problem would even be worse if it were an alloy framed airweight. Its not about ego, or being manly, or not "liking" recoil....its about loading the weapon with the optimum rounds for its size and weight and barrel length. The .38+P has a proven track record as a self defense caliber and I see no reason not to rely on it.

+4 for the S&W 642. I have one and carry it almost every day. Mine made the trip back to the nice folks at Cylinder and Slide and has an awesomely smooth trigger. Might take her a little practice to get used to it, but that's solid advice with any new firearm.

+4 for the S&W 642. I have one and carry it almost every day. Mine made the trip back to the nice folks at Cylinder and Slide and has an awesomely smooth trigger. Might take her a little practice to get used to it, but that's solid advice with any new firearm.

You are talking about my six best friends #1 The S & W air weight and my five federal +p hollow point defense loads. Every day for over fifty years my air weight and prior the old steel mod. 36 J frame. In the 1900s the air weight once contributed to saving my life.
Silver Hand

I love me a little light J frame Smith for carry.. for fighting, a steel K frame Smith (.38 or magnum) is much better but it's a different animal.. even with a round butt and a 2-3" barrel.
I'd still look into the Ruger though.

Recommend the LCR in .357.

I have the LCR in .357 magnum loaded with 125 grain .38+P ammo. I shot some 125 grain jhp .357 mag rounds and it was not pleasant. The 125 grain .38+P rounds are snappy but not painful like the .357 magnum rounds. Now, standard velocity .38 special rounds are quite pleasant to shoot. I would still have gotten the LCR in .357 even if I knew I would not shoot .357's because it gave me a little extra weight and if all I can find it .357 mag ammo, I'm still good to go, even if it is uncomfortable I will at least I have something.

I put on a XS tritium front sight on mine which really helped my older eyes get me on target faster. And as a bonus, I can easily find it in the dark.
http://shopruger.com/Ruger-LCR-Standard-Dot-Tritium-Front-Sight/productinfo/12902/

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top