JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
IMG_5029.jpg

Favorite handgun I own, point and shoot very accurate.
5 inch GP 100

IMG_5029.jpg

Well my wife is horrible at measurements now because I tell her my 6" gp100 is 10" so she won't put 2 & 2 together:D

I didn't get enough sleep - no telling what I'll post and then have to go back and delete tomorrow lol.
Get her to start calling you Buntline Joe.

Right, i do have, and did post a picture of my 6" GP100, custom grip, trigger job, springs etc.

I'm looking for the other side of the coin for something that's more fun to shoot .38's through :)

I'm looking for the other side of the coin for something that's more fun to shoot .38's through :)

Now I'm confused.?. More fun then .38's thru a 6" .357mag?

Mine is like shooting heavy .22's when I put .38's in it.

I guess if your going for something that will give you some "snap" when you pull the fun lever then get an air weight S&W or some other tiny carry revolver.

Um, yeah, kind of; i wanted a shorter barrel, something nice to fire, .38's do indeed feel like a dud through the 6 inch, but i'm not certain i want anything shorter than 2 inches, pref 3 or 4 inch.

Can't say enough about the K frame Smiths; I prefer the Model 10 because of the fixed sights and the heavy barrels that mine wear. For an inexpensive range gun which is what it sounds like the OP is looking for these can be had used for around $300-350 with a 4" barrel. A lot of the used market now are police trade ins so they show varying degrees of wear but the actions are all (at least mine are) very smooth. I load down and up to hot +P loads so everyone in my family can shoot them comfortably.

Can't say enough about the K frame Smiths; I prefer the Model 10 because of the fixed sights and the heavy barrels that mine wear. For an inexpensive range gun which is what it sounds like the OP is looking for these can be had used for around $300-350 with a 4" barrel. A lot of the used market now are police trade ins so they show varying degrees of wear but the actions are all (at least mine are) very smooth. I load down and up to hot +P loads so everyone in my family can shoot them comfortably.

That's exactly the kind of gun i'm after, should probably start asking where i can find them for sale really.

Any thoughts on things like the Model 66? or even a Taurus revolver?

I can see no reason to get a 38 over a 357 except for a J-frame five shot for carry or an M&P/Mod 10 for collectability. That said I prefer S&W K frames with 3" or 4" barrels 19/66 for adjustable sights or 13/65 fixed sights.
They made 7,000,000 model 10's in just the 20th century.. that's slightly more than one reason. lol

I had been LOOKING for a 6" blue GP 100 but then found what looked like an unfired used SS 4" - and for $450.00 I wasn't going to pass it by. Glad I didn't hold off as I have always had 4" DA wheel guns and the 4" GP shoots like a 6" to me because of the full underlug. Pretty happy with it but don't like the Houge grips. If anyone wants to trade a set of the earlier two - toned cushioned grips for Houges let me know.

I don't like the Hogue grips either, order a set of Wiley Clapps from Ruger, pictured on the first page.

That's exactly the kind of gun i'm after, should probably start asking where i can find them for sale really.

Any thoughts on things like the Model 66? or even a Taurus revolver?
I have a Taurus revolver in .22 and that is enough for me. I have a M66, a SS k frame with sights in .357/38. Any of the k frame Smiths would work great for the stated purpose. I like the 10s because they're inexpensive and nearly indestructible. The key would be to get a heavy barrel with a dash number. The earlier model 10s and pre 10s have a narrower sight channel in the top strap which makes picking up the front sight more difficult. I got all of mine through Gun Broker. If you're patient you should be able to snag one for around $350 all in with shipping and transfer fees.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top