JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've posted something similar to this before, however, it has again come to my attention that i still only have one wheel gun, and it's more of a special for .357 than a more every day kind of gun.

I have a 6 inch GP100, so whilst i don't care if this new gun is .357 or just .38sp, i am not going to worry if .357 isn't so comfortable to put through it, i'll be mainly using .38sp and maybe a few rounds of .357 for a laugh (much like slugs in the 12ga :D )

Anyway, i'd prefer new, but mainly because i'm incapable of making sure a used revolver is in good order :(

Not looking to spend a lot if i can help it, and like i said, something shorter, so 4 inch maximum, it's just a fun gun for the range, like most of my collection.

Thoughts?

Hmm, not sure i want the exact same gun with a shorter barrel, i think i'd like it to be different, i was *this* close to buying the 4 inch initially.

That Talo looks a little spendy, i'm seeing prices of $700+ Is that about right?
3 inch barrel looks nice though :)

Hmm, not sure i want the exact same gun with a shorter barrel, i think i'd like it to be different, i was *this* close to buying the 4 inch initially.

That Talo looks a little spendy, i'm seeing prices of $700+ Is that about right?
3 inch barrel looks nice though :)
Not sure on the prices but dang they're sweet.
Speaking of .38 vs .357 for especially a range gun, certainly don't overlook a .38..
Speed Six Rugers come in short barrels and both calibers and so do many, many Smiths.. Generally K and L frames.
Good luck.

How about the GP100's little sibling, the SP101? We've owned one for over 20 years and really enjoy it. It's my wife's gun primarily, and stays loaded with .38's 90% of the time. Though I do like to throw a few .357's from time to time, I wouldn't make a habit of it as it can be a bit punishing. Ours is the 3" model.

As for me, I'm looking to add a 6" GP100 to my collection one of these days.

Ours looks just like this one, same Hogue grip and all:

2123841_06_ruger_sp101_3_inch_357_excelle_640.jpg

2123841_06_ruger_sp101_3_inch_357_excelle_640.jpg

If it's just for fun and not something you're going to trust with your life, Rossi makes a 4" .357 that is actually a pretty decent revolver. And it's cheap.

I do love my 6 inch GP100 :)

GP100-1.jpg

I didn't know of that Smith, but it looks good, i'll heck to check it out some more, and the SP101 did come to mind, but i've never really looked at them before.

As i mentioned, i'm fine with a .38, this is mainly what i'll be firing from it, so whatever comes up at what i'd class an affordable price :)

Thanks for the help and suggestions so far.

GP100-1.jpg

I think anyone not recommending, especially to someone never having shot or owned one, the humble and classic Model 10 Smith & Wesson .38, heavy or pencil 4" square butt would be doing an injustice to humanity.
It doesn't even matter if it rattles pretty good and is beat to hell.. I've never shot an inaccurate one and the action is usually super smooth.. and they're dirt cheap.

That model 10 has an awfully small grip if you've got good sized man hands. K frame? I got my gramps pre-model 10, (they started with the model 10 designation in 1955 I believe). Grandpa used an insert on the front strap so it fit his hand. A model 66 is about a perfect grip, IMO. Or a model 19 if you prefer a blued gun. I'd always opt for the .357 over a straight .38 only, unless you're looking at a "collector" gun.

Anyway, i'd prefer new, but mainly because i'm incapable of making sure a used revolver is in good order :(

Pretty easy looking at a revolver and telling if it's a good one or not. There are a lot of them out there with bluing wear and very little usage. It's actually easier to tell wear and tear on a revolver than a semi auto. Feeler gauge, small magnifying glass, bore light and your hands/eyes/ears. Google the process.

That model 10 has an awfully small grip if you've got good sized man hands. K frame? I got my gramps pre-model 10, (they started with the model 10 designation in 1955 I believe). Grandpa used an insert on the front strap so it fit his hand. A model 66 is about a perfect grip, IMO. Or a model 19 if you prefer a blued gun. I'd always opt for the .357 over a straight .38 only, unless you're looking at a "collector" gun.

Pretty easy looking at a revolver and telling if it's a good one or not. There are a lot of them out there with bluing wear and very little usage. It's actually easier to tell wear and tear on a revolver than a semi auto. Feeler gauge, small magnifying glass, bore light and your hands/eyes/ears. Google the process.
Yea, I always hated those Tyler-T grip adaptor thingies.
Most people put aftermarket grips on the guns.
th?&id=OIP.Mf6be8a6d0e64e904c1a0d92f35b78eb6o0&w=300&h=225&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0.jpg

th?&id=OIP.Mf6be8a6d0e64e904c1a0d92f35b78eb6o0&w=300&h=225&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0.jpg

How about the GP100's little sibling, the SP101? We've owned one for over 20 years and really enjoy it. It's my wife's gun primarily, and stays loaded with .38's 90% of the time. Though I do like to throw a few .357's from time to time, I wouldn't make a habit of it as it can be a bit punishing. Ours is the 3" model.

As for me, I'm looking to add a 6" GP100 to my collection one of these days.

Ours looks just like this one, same Hogue grip and all:

View attachment 271681

That's kinda funny. I own a GP but want an SP also.

Hmm, i need to go bug Sportsmans warehouse for a while, though i'm not ready yet, gotta wait for bonus/refund season ;)

Mine is the Hillsboro store, though i've not been there in a while so i can't say if they have any handguns.

.357 seeing as it's a range fun gun, you shouldn't care if it's a little bulkier than a 38 spl only. and .357 is nothing like slugs from a 12 gauge - a bit over stated. I'm a wimpy little girly man and 357 is nothing at all.

You mis-understand my use of the 12ga slug reference; i was talking about the likelihood of me using 357 in the gun.

If you are even considering used guns, I would look hard at any of the Ruger Six Series. Known for their tank-like build quality, not many problems pop up on these classics. Security Six (square butt, adjustable sights) Police Service Six (square butt, fixed sights), or my favorite the Speed Six (round butt, fixed sights). All can be had in 2.75" or 4" barrels so take your pick.

For an affordable new gun, yeah a Ruger SP101 is a solid choice.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top