JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Question about stretched cases. I purchased 78 .375 Winchester brass from GunBroker along with some 38-55 brass. The .375 brass is stretched out to between 2.035 and 2.050. Trim length is 2.010. My once fired brass is about 2.015, max listed length is 2.020. I am assuming that the .375 was fired in a 38-55 rife (2.065) - maybe several times. I am afraid that if I reload these at normal pressure that I am risking case head separation. Should I toss them or use them for light load plinking rounds? I can see some indications of case head bulge on some of them. I got them for less than $50 and I just bought 100 new cases for $100. Thoughts?

Size them in the proper die and trim them to length.
Some lever actions are exceptionally springy.. yielding grossly stretched brass.
Try the paperclip probe method to try to divine incipient case head separation..

upload_2016-12-8_20-21-15.jpeg

and or sacrifice one to the cause be sawing it in half lengthwise for visual inspection.

Size them in the proper die and trim them to length.
Some lever actions are exceptionally springy.. yielding grossly stretched brass.
Try the paperclip probe method to try to divine incipient case head separation..

View attachment 327777

and or sacrifice one to the cause be sawing it in half lengthwise for visual inspection.
Thanks, I will give the paperclip a try and cut one of the worst in half.

Thirds on paper clip.

Cut tip at an angle and make it bend just a little past 90* so it has more of a bite if there is a stretch ring.

I set cases in an ammo box and if the case moves any bit up its inspected with vengeance.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top