JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
They have 9 MM +P+ too, but what I hear you saying is 'your guess is as good as mine'

Saying they have 9 MM+P so all is well, is like saying 9 MM has modern bullets and all other calibers don't.

I also have some 45 +P, many 45 barrels are not fully supported.

Not saying "all is well", just comparing.

+P+ is not a standard, it is an indicator. +P as I understand it has a standard upper pressure limit, but +P+ doesn't? Not sure any manufacturer rates their handguns as rated for +P+.

Also, to me, I like the .40 S&W better (although I have not shot the 357 SIG yet, haven't bought any ammo).

Similar power, better sectional density, better range of useful projectile weights (IMO), more mass for the upper end of projectiles (by quite a bit), therefore better (IMO) for penetration against "heavy boned" induhviduals (both literally and just plain obese) and animals.

I am still evaluating defensive ammo for my new caliber (.40) but I think the Winchester 180 gr. bonded HP "white box" is what I will wind up using. I am told these are essentially the same as Ranger/Talon, are sub-sonic even in my 226 (1000 fps) so will work well with a suppressor (I hope). With muffs on (no suppressor - I don't have any - yet) I hear a nice thump/thud kind of report - a pleasing sound.

All that said, the end results are what counts, not numbers, and when you look at the gel tests the 9mm, the .357 SIG and the .40, with the proper projectiles, all do the job more than adequately. Although they don't usually include heavy bones in those tests (like a shot from the side thru the upper arm hitting the humerus going for a core shot to the heart and lungs).

I normally carry 40, I was impressed with it's accuracy and made the switch from 45 ACP. 357 Sig from my XD357 is like a laser, put the sights on the target at 15, 30, 50 yard and it is shot. I was double impressed.

After a few range trips shooting .40 and .357 Sig I set up the slide with sights for the .357
I like .40, but found I like shooting .357 better. Freaking laser beam is right.

And with it set up for .357 when I run out and switch to .40 the POI is just a bit high.
.357 is right behind the dot and .40 is just above it so I just do a 6ish hold and that works out fine.