JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm pretty much out of my mind trying to figure out which 4" revolver to purchase with some money I have coming in next week. I like the S&W 686's trigger and the fit and finish is generally good, but the Ruger GP100 is a big brute of a gun that just calls out to me like I can't explain, especially the blued version. I've shot both and actually was more accurate with the Ruger, especially when shooting really hot .357 loads.[/U] And all of that is compounded by a really beautiful 4" version of the SP101 that Ruger just came out with recently that yells "Buy me!" every time I see one in a gun store or on line.

Any advice or help would be appreciated, realizing full well that I still will be in the same dilemma next week when the check finally comes. Thanks in advance.

I think you have already answered your own question. Many years ago, I had the same dilema (I grew up on Smith's). The difference between the 2 was explained this way, "the Smith is prettier, and the trigger is smoother, but the Ruger is built like a tank............" With that comment, I bought the GP100 (stainless) and never regretted it. The tightest grouping revolver I ever had. Shooting magnums in it (4" bbl.) was like shooting .38+p in my S&W 19 (4" bbl.). My biggest regret about the gun, was trading if for another pistol I thought I had to have.......

I grew up shooting a 686 in 6.5" barrel and love it to this day. Still haven't shot another .357 that I liked as much as that gun. In fact, I decided to sell my Blackhawk after I shot it next to a 686 one day at the range.

017.jpg

I might be a bit partial - love my 686 - national match 5"

017.jpg

I called around to some of the shops in my area and they seem to be low on the Ruger GP 100. I was told Ruger was filling their back orders.

I also asked about out of state online orders. They all said that they have to collect taxes if the seller did not collect taxes on their end. They mentioned that online orders does not save money. That throws some dampers on a few options.

I'm still waiting for my contract check to come in, hopefully tomorrow, so I'll have the money to burn towards whatever I get. Thanks for the great response. Still, no decision yet. It doesn't help that somewhere in the mix my mind's been wandering over to the Ruger New Model Blackhawk, either in .357 or 45LC. I particularly like the convertible 45LC version that comes complete with a second 45 ACP cylinder. There's also a .357 convertible with a 9mm cylinder, but that just seems wrong to me somehow. Anyway, I'm going to the gun show this weekend in Portland for no other reason than to handle a bunch of them and just to compare and see which one hits the mark, pun most definitely intended. Again, thanks for the great advice and help. I'll post pictures when I get whatever it is I finally decide to get.

I personally sold my SP101 and my 686 and kept the pair of GP100s. They are just flat indestructible and as accurate as one can ask for. I have never owned a Ruger product I didn't like. And I have owned more than a few, but the GP100 has always been one of my favorites. If I had to pick one gun from my collection right now and forfeit the rest it would be a GP100.

I personally sold my SP101 and my 686 and kept the pair of GP100s. They are just flat indestructible and as accurate as one can ask for. I have never owned a Ruger product I didn't like. And I have owned more than a few, but the GP100 has always been one of my favorites. If I had to pick one gun from my collection right now and forfeit the rest it would be a GP100.

I feel the exact same way

I have an S&W Model 60 .357 on layaway. That'll have to satisfy my double action craving for a while until my bank account gets replenished. The Blackhawk convertible is a really, really nice gun, though.