JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
HBWC-seated-backwards-001.jpg
HBWC-seated-backwards-002.jpg

Remember these?

My reloaded.....38 Special with HBWC (Speer swedged lead buillet) loaded backwards. It was said to expand well for home defense (where you don't want too much penetration). The article (I saw) said it was meant for a snub nose revolver. I didn't test it for expansion. BUT, there it is.

Aloha, Mark

There are so many good cartridges on the market that have been devloped by ballistic engineers to perform high on the FBI protocol testing that I don't see the value of have a home brew. There have been court cases that have found that personal reloads for self defense create certain liabilities for the shooter.

Makes since now I understand what you were saying. There is definitely trigger side to side slop in just about every revolver I have shot. Thank you for taking the time to clear that up for me.

There are so many good cartridges on the market that have been devloped by ballistic engineers to perform high on the FBI protocol testing that I don't see the value of have a home brew. There have been court cases that have found that personal reloads for self defense create certain liabilities for the shooter.
That is an old wifes tail, show me one case where the out come of the trial was determined by the ammo selection. I've been a juror on a murder trial where someone was killed by a handgun, and the only question we had to answer was whether it was justified or not. If he used the "wrong" or too much bullet never came up.

There is another side to the use of homemade reloads for SD usage.

I seem to recall......

There is a "story" of a guy with a handgun that was loaded with several "different" cartridges. He fired and was successful in SD. However, it was contended that the scenario didn't go down like how he said it did.

The question revolved around the distance to the "target" when he took the shot(s). Humm.....was is that 21 feet rule? Anyway...... Because it was reloaded ammo and because he had "several different" loaded rounds. Forensics wasn't able to determine within a degree of certainty the "danger" that he faced.

Really? Even the 21 foot rule is kind of stupid. But, LAWYERS? Rrright......

Or maybe I got the scenario/story wrong in the first place? Maybe it involved a self-destructive person and subsequent struggle over the firearm?

At any rate YES. IMHO, use factory rounds for SD.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
I have some jacketed .357 wadcutters that I bought from a guy in Idaho. Don't know who made them, have a cannelure near each end. I think someone told me that Xtreme made these at one time. Berry's Bullets makes plated .357 wadcutters. I've thought that a jacketed wadcutter would make a good defensive round. A jacketed or plated wadcutter could be driven at magnum speeds.

Federal Has a micro HST 38special +p that is devastating. That was another product that made me think about this test, though I never carry reloads for self defense. The science in the 130gr federal is amazing as it mushrooms/expands just as good if not better than the speer golddot but has a larger frontal.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top