JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am fairly new to revolvers and my first was a stainless 6" gp100.

I've always wanted a .357 revolver and after years of putting it off I finally have one.

Now I'm a fairly large dude and have found shooting this thing is really not all that bad, even one handed or off hand. So control is not the issue for me... And it is now occupying my fast open pistol safe for "just in case".

My problem started today in the mountains.

I was experimenting with different rounds (.38sp and some defense and hunting .357 mag), when I thought to myself, "what is this thing going to be like without ear protection?".

So off the hear protection goes and in goes a .38sp. I fired it and to me is sounded about like my 9mm. No big deal, I grew up without hear protection (or eye for that matter) but wear it religiously now.

The .357 mag however (basic Blazer target stuff) darn near deafened me; my ears rang for a few minutes!:eek: I have shot and SKS round without protection by accident once and it rang my bell, but nothing like that .357...

So that was out in the woods. I know if I'm using it for protection that my adrenalin will help me but I'm now a bit worried what it will do to my wife and daughters hearing after firing that thing in an enclosed space.

I guess I am going to a low recoil .38sp now?

Any suggestions on a brand that is not as "loud"? I'm not worried about the loss of power, 6 of anything is more then I need.

Or should I just put this one in the back of the safe for hunting season and stick with my 9mm for home defense?

If your adrenaline is pumping, you won't hear anything. It's just like hunting. I've never really heard my rifle go off, even when shooting a .375 Ruger.

But I don't ever shoot any centerfire anything without hearing protection unless I'm hunting. I even use hearing protection when shooting a 22 handgun.

Many years ago I shot 5 rounds out of a short barreled .41 Mag, in the woods, as you say. My ears rang for days and probably hasn't been the same since.

But, I don't worry about that if my life is on the line...

When you are protecting your life or someone else I bet you won't even notice how loud it is if you are forced to pull the trigger.

If you are holding someone at gunpoint until the police arrive, you might want to explain how loud it is and toss some earplugs to the crook and tell him it's just in case he does something stupid. Make sure you get a picture of his expression for us...

I've fired my .30-06 quite a few time with out hearing protection as well as a 7mm Rem Mag. Both are about what you describe and I wouldn't do it with any regularity. I have friends who hunt with ear plugs and put them in before taking a shot at an animal. Regardless, I don't know what to tell you. It's loud, either get over it and use it or find something else. Nothing in the .357 range is going to be significantly quieter and still preform like the louder ammunition. You could roll you're own light loads, but then why not just use commercial .39 spcl? I don't mean to be an jerk, but what did you expect? It's a heavy caliber, with a short barrel (compared to a rifle) going off close to your head.

Also, firing a 9mm outdoors without ear protection is nothing like firing a 9mm indoors without ear protection. Your head going to throb, your ears are going to ring your sight may go blurry, but when lives are on the line it will be the farthest thing on your mind. As Orygun pointed out, chances are you won't realize any of it until about 5 minutes after the adrenaline wears off.

Stupid is is stupid does. You could keep ears by the pistol safe. even inexpensive electronic pair would be helpful. you could hear things better and your ears would be protected if you have to make a BANG!!

No offense taken by any of the comments.

I should clarify that my concern is less for my own hearing and more for the people in the house with me.

Is protecting out lives worth more then anything else? Absolutely, but I'd like to keep from making my kids ears bleed if at all possible.

I was just looking for some options; I'll look for the .38sp +p's and give them a shot.

I remember an old FBI agent many years ago.. he was a firearms trainer at the time and was dicking around with his .357 magnum... training people and stuff.. I'll never forget his words.. "you want it to kick and be loud when (something something)".
Yes, they are loud and kick.. that's a good thing.
leave those ."light kicking .38 target loads" for just that.. paper targets or rabbits

If you have to shoot in self defense, you'll never hear it. But yeah, they do have some bark to them. If you really want to make your ears bleed, shoot a .38 ported snubby without plugs,,,

When you are protecting your life or someone else I bet you won't even notice how loud it is if you are forced to pull the trigger.

If you are holding someone at gunpoint until the police arrive, you might want to explain how loud it is and toss some earplugs to the crook and tell him it's just in case he does something stupid. Make sure you get a picture of his expression for us...
Or - you can tell your wife to go get some hearing protection, because you are about to make a really loud noise if the guy moves.

I wear hearing protection muffs with microphones now. They really show me how bad my hearing has gotten and how much I am missing by not wearing hearing aids. If I ever take up hunting again, you can bet I will be getting some kind of ear plugs that include sound amplification and a noise level cutoff.

When I am walking around with the muffs I can hear every little thing if I turn them up - the gravel, the brush against my clothes - it would really help in trying to be quiet, I had no idea how loud I was walking through the woods.

Thanks for all the input y'all.

I'm going to have to put a lot of thought into what I'll be using for home defense in the future.

I'm getting that bigger is better regardless of the drawbacks.:rolleyes:

If this is a "go to" home defense gun, Have you considered a autoloader of some sort with suppressor?

I have and will most likely someday. Someday being when I have more cash then I can spend at my current rate lol.

I have been tossing around the silencer idea but have not made the plunge due to indecision on caliber.

Mostly I'm comfortable with a 9mm and don't see a need for any more stopping power then that. I honestly am gravitating towards a simi auto .22lr though and do not yet want to invest into a silencer and license only to change my mind and wish I had gone with a different caliber.

My only experience with one personally was on a full auto Uzi in 9mm - I'd take that one if I could:s0003:.

Use what you feel will get the job - a 38 +p is has a lot of positive attributes - controllability, less noise, the flash in the middle of the night, the fact that your family members probably can handle the revolver as well. Yes a 357 Mag has a reputation as being one of the best cartridges for self defense - however if you find it is too much odds are it will take a while to get good with it - if you think it is too much that is a choice that only you can make. By the way I use 38 +P in my model 15 snubby and don't feel under gunned, again that is my personal decision. Look at Hornady Critical defense.

Use what you feel will get the job - a 38 +p is has a lot of positive attributes - controllability, less noise, the flash in the middle of the night, the fact that your family members probably can handle the revolver as well. Yes a 357 Mag has a reputation as being one of the best cartridges for self defense - however if you find it is too much odds are it will take a while to get good with it - if you think it is too much that is a choice that only you can make. By the way I use 38 +P in my model 15 snubby and don't feel under gunned, again that is my personal decision. Look at Hornady Critical defense.

Good points!

I'm 6'1", mid 200's and have trained in different martial arts all my life - I'm really not worried too much about an intruder, armed or not.

I figured if I ever had to pull it, the shear size is intimidating enough to possibly avoid having to shoot it.

If I do ever have to shoot, shot placement is more important then power to me but I'm already good enough with it to hit a noggin, in the dark on the move.

Having a lower recoil for the females in the house would be a big plus I think.

1.) I'm 6'1", mid 200's and have trained in different martial arts all my life - I'm really not worried too much about an intruder, armed or not.

2.) I figured if I ever had to pull it, the shear size is intimidating enough to possibly avoid having to shoot it.

3.) If I do ever have to shoot, shot placement is more important then power to me but I'm already good enough with it to hit a noggin, in the dark on the move.

4.) Having a lower recoil for the females in the house would be a big plus I think.

1&3, Don't always count on the super ninja or Quigley stuff to work.

2., If you pull your gun, Pull the trigger and KILL! You could be the one in jail otherwise.

4., Yes any and all reasons to have another gun in the house is good and getting the girls shooting is even better.

Last Edited:
If you are running to your safe to get it, where will your wife and kids be? Are they really going to be anywhere near the bang? My guess is that they will be running some place safe of in a hiding spot well out of the way of danger.

I would guess that as everyone mentioned, you probably won't hear the bang because of adrenaline. On the other hand, is a little ringing for an hour (or so?) a small price to pay for saving your life? I'd be happy with the little ringing if my family and I were alive and safe.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top