JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If it were me I'd look into a nice 38 sp load for that gun and keep the 357's handy for when you need 'em. Even a nice hot +P load would work out better if you're going to shoot it a lot. I love my K frame but wouldn't want to abuse it with a steady diet of 357's, that's what the L frame's for. Actually my favorite load through my K is a light 'target' 38 sp load, mild recoil, very accurate and you can shoot it all day everyday. 357 Mag is a stout load and not all that fun to shoot for prolonged periods of time, at least for me. Working up a light 357 load is kind of pointless when 38 sp is handy. I like my magnum loads to be on the hotter side if I'm going to shoot them.

There's a recent thread on the S&W forum regarding .357 mag in a K frame. The poster there bugged up his 66 shooting too much mag. When he sent it back to Smith, they advised ".38 sp for target, .357 mag for defense."

I see from conversation that the smaller bullets and faster powders seem to be culprits in wearing down the K-frame.
Not so much wearing it down but cracking the forcing cone on the K frame .357s due to the relief cut on the bottom of it. There are cases of the forcing cones cracking but a lot of it was the hyper velocity 110 grain bullets loaded to the max in the early days 'prove' the value of the .357. Also there were some 'special' loadings of .38 Special that were intended for LE only for PC purposes so departments could 'say' they were using 'only' .38 Special - but were in fact like +P+ or higher. Rule of thumb is no steady diet of full house .357 and then only 158 grain or heavier bullets and keep the lighter bullets to .38 Special levels in the K frames.

Power Pistol serves me well for less than top power blasters (which really shouldn't be used much in a K). Up to about 1100 FPS. 6.5 grains makes a nice, comfortable 158 grain load, around 1000 FPS.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top