Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

.357 mag Glock

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Salps, May 29, 2014.

1. Salps

Salps Down by the river…. Well-Known Member

Sure wish Glock would make one. Tired of looking for a Coonan and not sure I like the grip anyways. Not many options out there for CC.

2. rick benjamin

rick benjamin USA, Or, Damascus Secure the drama Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer

Glock 26, 9mm

3. Salps

Not a .357 mag...

4. Lange22250

Lange22250 Milwaukie Active Member

9mm, does the same thing unless you are trying to shoot through a car first or after.

5. Salps

Exactly

6. coyote223

coyote223 NW Oregon Stamp Collector,,,

They'd probably make a .357 mag Glock, before they ever make a single stack 9mm Glock,,,:s0064:

FourTeeFive likes this.
  7. misplacedtexan

misplacedtexan Beaverton, OR Active Member

Glock 31, 32, and 33. .357 sig gets close enough to magnum velocities while operating in a semi-auto. Hell of a round to shoot....own a 4" XD and a M&P compact. The compact is almost painful to shoot much.

stmcelroy likes this.
  8. misterarman

misterarman Vancouver,Wa. USA Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

A Glock 31 or a 22 with a conversion barrel in 357 sig is very pleasant to shoot. And I'm a wus when it comes to that.
    Luv the 357sig.
    Or the Desert Eagle in the pic in 357mag.

stmcelroy likes this.
  9. Dain Bramage

Dain Bramage Everett Member

If are looking for a Glock as an alternative, then the Coonan is probably not for you. Plastic, striker fired pistol vs. all-steel SA 1911 variant.

You could go the .357 Sig route with Glock, or go G20/G29 with 10mm. You'd get a round designed for auto pistols, with energy levels on par with .357 mag.

If you really want the Coonan, order it from a local dealer and wait the 10-12 month listed lead time. Patience is bliss with special-order guns.

10. Salps

Since I have 2 gp100's and a Marlin .357, I would like to keep it .357 and semi auto. Owned a Glock 20, 29 and a 23 and they always go bang. Glocks aren't my favorite but they do serve a purpose. Can't understand why someone has not tapped in to the market for a .357 auto. I think Glock could do it.

11. Dain Bramage

I hear ya. Too many .357's is the reason I never got into 10mm.

12. jordanvraptor

jordanvraptor Oregon City, Oregon Well-Known Member

I had a Coonan. It was a great gun. Very fun to shoot with a lot of fireballs but moderate recoil. Less recoil than .45 ACP due to the Coonan being heavier than a Colt. Definitely a high end gun. Save up, you won't be disappointed once you get it.

13. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

I think you said .41 magnum wrong.
    A hot loaded 9mm is pretty much a .357sig without the hassles.

14. Dain Bramage

Perhaps they are similar in some loadings, but I fail to see how 9mm can match .357 Sig in equal loadings with less case capacity and lower rated pressure (38.5 ksi for +p 9mm vs. 40 ksi.for the Sig). +P+ is not an official rating, and Sig can be overloaded too if you accept the chance of grenading.

Not sharing diameters, .357 Mag and 10mm can be judged on equal bullet weight velocities or total energy. I'm not a big fan of comparing pet nuclear loads, but here are some hot Buffalo Bore loads available commercially.

Heavy 357 Magnum Ammo - 180 gr. Hard Cast LFN-GC (1,400fps/M.E. 783 ft. lbs.) - 20 Round Box

Heavy 10mm Ammo - 180 gr. Jacketed Hollow Point - J.H.P. (1,350fps/M.E. 728 ft. lbs.) - 20 Round Box

Heavy .41 Magnum Ammo - 170 gr. J.H.P. (1,650 fps/M.E. 1,028 ft. lbs.) - 20 Round Box

In most loadings, 10mm compares more equally with .357. Mag than .41 Mag. We can agree to disagree.

15. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Salps, quit whining and just go buy a Coonan. You know you want one...

Besides, if Glock made a 357 Mag handgun, you would never be able to wrap your mits around it. Tried a 45 ACP Glock? Now add length to the grip frame...

16. rick benjamin

rick benjamin USA, Or, Damascus Secure the drama Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer

There were, they died a lonely death. Magnum Research makes the 357 Desert Eagle.
    Rimmed cartridges don't feed well in autos

17. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Tell that to the millions of 22LR auto pistols!
    True, it's harder to get a rimmed cartridge to feed in an auto pistol, but it can be done. The Coonan is a perfect example.
    Now, to the acceptance in the marketplace for a 357 auto, yeah, there isn't much demand. I'd say there's barely enough to keep Magnum Research from dropping the 357. Coonan? Well, that's all they do and they don't do a lot of them.

rick benjamin likes this.
  18. Salps

Decided I will carry two gp 100s and call it good!

Hook686 likes this.
  19. rick benjamin

Hey 22 Autopistols! Fergot them,

orygun likes this.
  20. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

Dain Bramage, cherry pick much? lol.
    Get a real pistol, aka a CZ etc. and +P+ 9mm are not a problem.. especially the two that you might send into a bad guy once in a lifetime. lol