JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I picked up my first revolver the other weekend! I already reload some .38/.357 for a friend of mine , but what sort loads have worked for you guys?

What suggestions/opinions do you have for factory defensive loads: SILVERTIP, Gold Dot, Hornady, Hydrashok, 110 grain, 125 grain, 145 grain, 158 grain etc.....

Thanks for any input!

Last Edited:
Good call!

4.2" Ruger GP100

Sturdy gun, good barrel length. The Remington and Federal 125 grain JHPs are rated by Sanow and Marshall in their study of actual street shoots to have about a 93% one shot stopping rate when fired into center mass. I would go with those.. if the recoil is a bit much I would recommend the Winchester white box 110 grain JHPs

Great gun, built like a tank and will survive anything.
+1 on the 125 gr JHPs, Hornady also makes them in their "Critical Defense" line now.
It's an XTP bullet with better expansion due to the little red insert.
And they just look badass peeking out of the cylinder!

I use Blue Dot for lighter weight bullet .357 full on loads but I never post load data for liability reasons. It does make for quite a fireball at night though

I use Blue Dot for lighter weight bullet .357 full on loads but I never post load data for liability reasons. It does make for quite a fireball at night though

Fair enough on the liability... But one would be silly to not double check a book (or several in my case) on suggested loads that they are about to load and shoot through their firearm. Fireballs are awesome, reloaded some 30-30 to get a fire ball awhile back and that was alot of fun!

Fair enough on the liability... But one would be silly to not double check a book (or several in my case) on suggested loads that they are about to load and shoot through their firearm. Fireballs are awesome, reloaded some 30-30 to get a fire ball awhile back and that was alot of fun!

Truly I'm not being elitist here but I've read where some fellow was sued for posting his "safe load in his gun" and the powder he used was a little different formula/batch (forget the details) than the reader had used, and or the users gun was not as strong. The reader had a kaboom and sued the poster for offering his load data. Even if you get it from a book reduce it by at least 10% for your gun, and note that changing brass make, bullet make, primer type can all effect the pressure of a load, as can the depth of bullet seating and many other factors

There's one reloading manual written by a fellow who blew both his arms off with a high powered rifle cartridge which he overloaded long ago. His picture with his prosthestic arms is in the first few pages of the book. Reloading can be very safe and a lot of rewarding fun if you truly follow the rules

Touche Blitzkrieg touche. It blows that some people can't seem to take responsibility for their actions, even if it worked for someone else.... I will not touch the whole legalities aspect and people suing other people in this sue happy country of ours..... I can respect and do not blame you or anyone else that would want to stay out of sharing their load data. If you want to share please do, if not... don't!

I like Blue Dot in .38 Spl. Have used 296 with magnum primers but only for heavy bullets with heavy crimp - never for light bullets. I pretty much restrict 296 to .357 Mag and above. Have also found Accurate powders to be very good. Favorite was 630 but it's long gone now. Experimenting with Ramshot now.

Back when I still owned a .357 (I'm now an all auto guy) I used to load 17.5 grains of 2400 with hornady 125gr JHP's. Was not only accurate but at 1400 fps it had devastating potential. Was a bit of a "flame-thrower" and at a max load for that weight bullet it tended to make cases short lived. Could reload only 3-4 times before the headstamps started to "fade".

"Go Fast, Hit Hard, Go Home". Everything one could want in a defense load for a .357.

I have loaded the 357 for many years. For magnum loads I use to use 2400 found it to be inconsistent and a little dirty. I now use H110 with great success. I have tried many different bullets and generally any quality 158 jacketed bullet will shoot a little tighter groups than the 125 jhp's. But I found one exception!! The Remington Golden Saber 125 grain. These bullets shoot as tight as groups as any I have tried.
Any loads you see on this blog or any where else must be checked with a loading manual. 357 mag 125 jacketed bullet, magnum primers, 18.8 grains of H110. 158 jacketed, magnum primers, 15 grains H110.

38 special, 158 SWC hard cast, 5.8 grains of Unique. I confes I am old school. I have not tried the newer powders like Titegroup . Anybody have experience with this powder?

I have loaded the 357 for many years...
38 special, 158 SWC hard cast, 5.8 grains of Unique. I confes I am old school. I have not tried the newer powders like Titegroup . Anybody have experience with this powder?

No experience with Titegroup... am thinking about trying it with 45acp & 200gr swc.

BTW, Is the 5.8gr unique charge for .357 mag? or for 38 spl? Seems a bit stiff for 38spl.
Alliant Powder Reloaders Guide

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads