JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
[QUOT="Steve M, post: 1478842, member: 32121"]If you have SR-4756 Lee has a load for 125gr that they claim will reach 1034 FPS with 5.0gr, but I chrono'd at 606 FPS from a 4-5/8" Blackhawk. A load of 6.0gr got me 793FPS.

Otherwise try using lead load data, even for your jacketed bullets. The Laser-Cast load manual has loads for HP-38 and HS-6 for their 125gr lead bullet that are <1100 FPS. Just to give you an idea, they claim a starting load of 4.1gr of HP-38 will give 775 FPS from a 6" barrel and the max of 5.0gr is 959 FPS. That max load is also what they list as their "cowboy load".

View attachment 302578[/QUOTE]
This is great. Thank you.

Consider trimming the cases down to 38 special length and use 38 special data to get the velocity you want.
I've done this to 357 brass that had case mouth splits from heavy crimping.
357 brass may have a thicker web than a 38 case, making it's capacity less than a 38, when trimmed to 38 length.
just sayin'
:)
I would leave the casings full length, so you don't get the crud ring from running .38 special. ;)

You can download almost as far as you want, depending on powder. Just keep going until the bullet no longer exits the barrel, and then bump it up a few tenths. . . :p

Just don't try downloading H110 or Win296, they can get erratic at low pressure.

In all seriousness, try TrailBoss if you can get your hands on some. It's an extremely fluffy low-density powder designed for filling the case on light target loads. I've had great results using it with 158 grain LSWC in both .38 and .357 brass.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top