JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You could black powder cartridges for it but...
In 1898 when the Colt Single Action Army went to a Smokeless powder design , there were changes in the frame , rifling and sights , made strictly for smokeless powder...these changes are in your revolver as well.

If you really want to experience a black powder revolver , I'd suggest getting a actual Cap and Ball revolver.
Andy

I just got a saa revolver and want to load up some black poweder rounds for it ... Anyone have a recipe or should I just treat it as smokeless powder

As others have noted, new manufacture revolvers aren't set up the same as original BP revolvers, fouling can become an issue. That being said the Cowboy Action crowd has been shooting BP in modern revolvers and making it work over the course of day's match. Here's an article that pretty much covers most of it, from loading to keeping the pistol going:

BP (and subs) Cartridge Loading for CAS

I'm not Andy, I don't know what I am talking about, and no one should listen to me ;) So, with that out of the way . . .

Yes, you can do it and it can be fun. Elmer Kieth* recommended BP for those starting reloading as it was more forgiving. Don't use a standard powder measure (it can be unsafe for a couple reasons) scoops are a good way to go, and if you just want to make smoke and noise find a volume of BP that almost fills the space behind behind the bullet, a little compression is fine. Pressures are low compared to smokeless so the chances of an overload are all but nonexistent. A well lubed lead bullet is preferred to a jacketed bullet and Pyrodex should ONLY be transported in a 1989 lime green Yugo with a functioning factory 8 Track and a NEW JC And The Sunshine Band tape. If you don't have a 1989 lime green Yugo with a functioning factory 8 Track and a NEW JC And The Sunshine Band tape, just leave the Pryrodex on the shelf and move on to actual BP.

Clean up at the rage with Windex or actual BP cleaner and detail strip the gun when you get home.

Once you do it a couple times you will either decide it was kind of fun but not worth it, or you will be hocked and PM'ing Andy for help in finding your first actual Cap & Ball revolver.

* If you read that and went "Elmer Kieth, who's that?" you are dead to me. :mad:

Pyrodex should ONLY be transported in a 1989 lime green Yugo with a functioning factory 8 Track and an NEW JC And The Sunshine Band tape. If you don't have a 1989 lime green Yugo with a functioning factory 8 Track and an NEW JC And The Sunshine Band tape, just leave the Pryrodex on the shelf and move on to actual BP.
Best. Advice. Ever...!:D
Andy

You know, I've been interested in getting a black powder pistol and or rifle for awhile now. Just not sure where I'd be able to find the time or space to mess with it?

If you just want to see if like black powder...I'd suggest starting out with a percussion rifle in the .45 , .50 or .54 caliber range.
Some ideas for rifles :
Lyman Great Plains or Trade Rifle..
Thompson Center "Hawken" or Renegade rifle...
Traditions makes a good rifle as well...

If you find that you like black powder I'd be happy to suggest some rifles that are more historic in looks and parts and assembly....
Andy

NEW JC And The Sunshine Band tape
I think you meant KC And The Sunshine Band.
Some ideas for rifles :
Lyman Great Plains or Trade Rifle..
Thompson Center "Hawken" or Renegade rifle...
Traditions makes a good rifle as well...
Good choices but a couple of those can only be found used now.
Regardless I KNOW Andy is referring to the suggestions he made as TRADITIONAL designs and NOT modern inlines.

It's all good little brother. No one REALLY WANTS to remember the 70's correctly. Hair like apes, cocaine, loose morals, gold chains and medalions:p, and the Gremlin. It was a frightening time to be a kid. Every adult looked like they were lathered in crisco and had greasy hair growing out of their bodies down to their belly button. Even the women:eek:.

Some of the good old days I'd sooner forget. Like my mom and my aunt looking at Burt Reynolds nudes in Cosmo 1972 in the front of that purple Gremlin after grocery shopping...

Messed up.

It's all good little brother. No one REALLY WANTS to remember the 70's correctly. Hair like apes, cocaine, loose morals, gold chains and medalions:p, and the Gremlin. It was a frightening time to be a kid. Every adult looked like they were lathered in crisco and had greasy hair growing out of their bodies down to their belly button. Even the women:eek:.

Some of the good old days I'd sooner forget. Like my mom and my aunt looking at Burt Reynolds nudes in Cosmo 1972 in the front of that purple Gremlin after grocery shopping...

Messed up.

Baggy pants and those cool polyester shirts were far out.....Though after you wore those shirts a couple dozen times at the disco, they took on a smell that wouldn't go away.

Hey now...!:eek:
I love the smell of black powder in the morning ( Best Robert Duvall voice here ):D
Andy
I knew I'd get busted for that :D.

OP if you want BP "feeling" you can also try some trailboss. If you use a cast bullet with a soft lube (like beeswax and vaseline with a skosh of borebutter) it will even smoke a bit. Not as much as the holy black but enough to irritate the guy downwind;). It's a lot cleaner than black powder and runs nice in my wheelguns. My step daughter loves to shoot my S&W 66 with 125gr and trailboss. She has excellent taste ;).

As always, Andy speaks the truth. His recommendations are all worth looking into. And don't turn your nose up at used, some of the best deals out there on B.P. arms are used. For revolvers, the standards from Uberti and Pietta are always good choices, with the Remington 1858 pattern one of the best and most popular. These can also be found used and in good working condition, and parts are easy to come by!:)
Once you experience true Holy Black, you will wonder why you waited so long!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top