JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Has anyone had a problem shooting .38 special in a .357?

I ask because I went shooting last week. I went to the gun store and asked for .357 rounds, the clerk said all he had was .38 special but it will work fine out of my revolver. so i bought it and went shooting, i shot the last of my .357 and switched to .38 special and finished nearly the whole box and noticed while reloading that there was a hair line crack starting at the sleeve between the wheel and the barrel and running into the barrel about 1/4 in. I stopped firing that pistol. I have been told and have read that its fine to shoot .38 out of a .357, are there any exeptions to this? I have a taurus m617 snub. taurus has an excellent warranty so unless i abused the gun they will fix it. any thoughts? thanks.
'.

That would be your forcing cone that cracked, this usually happens from heavy loads in a lighter built gun. I don't know how heavy the 617s are, but the K frame smiths are notorious for destroying forcing cones by running too much .357 through it.

Have you been using a lot of high power stuff recently?

The .38 shouldn't of caused this crack at all, and its perfectly safe to use. The only bad thing that happens is that there can be a lead ring buildup in the lip in the cylinder. This can cause some extraction issues when you use .357 with too much lead buildup.

I havnt shot that gun for some time, i keep it in one of my rooms and needed to get some practice. I keep it clean and oiled. It has had a lot of .357 through it but nothing special, I keep the good stuff loaded, or did. It has a couple hundred rounds through it, i guess it had enough. seems kinda cheesy to quit out that early.

It may have just been a fluke gun, hopefully Taurus will fix it, just give them a call and tell them a crack appeared in the forcing cone, and maybe they will warranty it. Also definitely do not fire this gun, because much worse things can happen if your forcing cone opens up any more.

When you get it back I'd suggest you try to stick to 158 gr for .357. The 125 gr was the main cause of top strap cutting and forcing cone erosion/cracking in the k-frames, from all I could gather. I think that's more like an L-frame but since you have already experienced this problem it would probably be best to be on the safe side.

Have a gun smith take a look, I have a Taurus 357/38 also and it has what at first glance looks like a crack but is actuall a break down seam.
Any way to put a pic on here?

yeah, im at work but when i get home ill try to get a good pic of it. This pistol was a gift from my wife (knows what her man likes:D) so im a little bummed about it. but if tuarus fixes it no worries.

You can destroy a S&W just as easy as any taurus, just ask anyone that runs a model 19 too hard. :D

Some of the large frame taurus's are built as heavy as ruger super redhawks, and are far more comfortable to shoot. The main thing I don't like about taurus is the use of coil mainsprings (along with ruger)

This is the only tuarus ive ever owned. so i couldnt say on the quality of the name, but it is a nice gun, and for a snub im very accurate with it. anybody an ffl that ships for cheap? Also, I really love this site. Everyone here is great.

you can ship back to the factory without an FFL

It is easier to use a FFL but they will ship it back to the ffl you shipped it from. If you ship it yourself they will ship it back directly to you. For me I found that if I watned to ship it myself to taurus it was close to 60 through UPS. But when I called the gun shop I bought ti from they said they would mail it for me.

Since they had an FFL they just dumped it in the mail and it cost less then 20 to ship to Taurus and taurus shipped it back adjusted and working flawlessly!

(went through this earlier this year if that helps)

Steven

in the shipping instructions i read that they will only ship to an ffl, but this pistol was purchased in 04 so maybe things have changed. it would be terrific if they could ship to me, ill ask about it. how long was the wait? this has been very helpful, thanks.

Like I said I found it much easier and about 40 dollars cheaper to ship through an FFL. Mine shipped it for 20.00 not to bad. Go online to taurus and they have some online paperwork you can fill out and it might be more current shipping instructions.

I sent it and had it back in just under 6 weeks. They were running about 4 weeks behind what they recieved before they were looking at pistols earlier this year.

Steven

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads