Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

.356 Winchester (Rimmed .358 Win for Lever Guns)?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Will_Power, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Will_Power

Will_Power OR via OK Active Member

Any of you have a .356 Win Marlin or Winchester?

I'm getting sorely tempted by the idea of one. I like .35 cals on principle, and I think a lever gun would be awfully handy in the thick stuff on the wet side of the Cascades.

I've only got a single stage press, and .356 brass is next to impossible to find. Is sizing way down .444 Marlin brass doable without much trouble (I'm a new reloader, so I've got to ask)?

Those of you with the Marlin 336ER version, what's been your experience with loading and any pressure concerns?

2. AMProducts

AMProducts Maple Valley, WA Jerk, Ammo Manufacturer Silver Supporter

For that use, I would look for a savage 99 in .358 winchester. They're rare, but they're out there. I honestly think that would be a better way to go, as in a pinch you can just neck out .308 win brass to .358.

3. sneakboxer

sneakboxer NW OR Active Member

What about the 35rem? I know its not lighting the world on fire ballistically but it is more popular. The 444 rim looks bigger and would require trimming. The 307win or 30marlin would be a better choice for making brass. However, that is a lot of work for 200fps. Or maybe a Browning BLR in 358win?
    Best of luck,