JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Bear Creek has a 350 Legend AR barrel going on sale tomorrow, debating on whether I should try it out or not. My fear is the projectile supply issue but if I can run standard 9mm and 38cal bullets in it I would be golden for projectiles. I would mostly be shooting hand loads through it and only for plinking in manual loading mode?

This author isn't crazy about the the design of the the cartridge: https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/whats-going-on-with-350-legend/

As a reloader, I find the article linked in the OP interesting. Kind of a can of worms as to bullet diameter / design. My guess, it's a seasonal hunter's cartridge and not that many hunters reload. Some yes, most no.

If you were to undertake reloading for this round, first thing you'd do is slug the bore of the barrel you've selected. Then measure the throat. Go from there on bullet selection. If you want to use .357 - .358 bullets, which are more common and you find your bore is .354 or .355, you could have Lee make you a push-through bullet sizing die in your chosen diameter. They con't cost all that much.

Some people might say, "Why worry about .001 or .002?" Well, one reason (not the only one I can think of) might be with a slightly undersized bore to the bullet, the chamber might also be slightly undersized. In such a case, functional reliability issues might be noted. The "fat" bullet when seated in the case might just make the finished cartridge too tight in the chamber.

Now don't get me wrong on the following. I've bought a good many rifles in cartridges that I had utterly no practical use for. Having said that, the .350 Legend was designed for a specific market. Out West, it has less practical use. But if you really want one, go ahead on and let us know how it works out.

I can see people really keeping track of their brass on this one when fired in an AR.

The author of the linked article has what are becoming the usual things to say about Olin's quality control on ammo. Specifically, he noted variations in size of factory bullets.

As a reloader, I find the article linked in the OP interesting. Kind of a can of worms as to bullet diameter / design. My guess, it's a seasonal hunter's cartridge and not that many hunters reload. Some yes, most no.

If you were to undertake reloading for this round, first thing you'd do is slug the bore of the barrel you've selected. Then measure the throat. Go from there on bullet selection. If you want to use .357 - .358 bullets, which are more common and you find your bore is .354 or .355, you could have Lee make you a push-through bullet sizing die in your chosen diameter. They con't cost all that much.

Some people might say, "Why worry about .001 or .002?" Well, one reason (not the only one I can think of) might be with a slightly undersized bore to the bullet, the chamber might also be slightly undersized. In such a case, functional reliability issues might be noted. The "fat" bullet when seated in the case might just make the finished cartridge too tight in the chamber.

Now don't get me wrong on the following. I've bought a good many rifles in cartridges that I had utterly no practical use for. Having said that, the .350 Legend was designed for a specific market. Out West, it has less practical use. But if you really want one, go ahead on and let us know how it works out.

I can see people really keeping track of their brass on this one when fired in an AR.

The author of the linked article has what are becoming the usual things to say about Olin's quality control on ammo. Specifically, he noted variations in size of factory bullets.
I am pretty sure I have a lee sizer die in .356 so between the .355, .356, .357 and .358 bullets I have on hand, I could load up 350 legend for cheap. That is if I can shoot pistol bullets without them coming apart.

I just placed an order for this 350 Legend complete side charging upper from BCA. It is 15% off today.

Some walmarts have Winchester 350 Legend plinking ammo for under $13 a box. It's hard to find 350 Legend brass right now so I will have to fire off some of the factory ammo or pull the bullets to get cases for experimenting with the various pistol bullets I want to try loading in the 350 Legend cases.

I've toyed with the idea of having a 350 legend in an AR platform but haven't done anything more than just look at uppers and the price of ammo.
The side charging upper I just ordered was $235 shipped and if the pistol bullets work well in this cartridge, it should be relatively cheap to reload.

Playing devil's advocate for a second, .350 Legend sounds like someone re-invented the .351 Self-Loading round.
I also have to admit, I've never seen .350 Legend for sale anywhere either.

Well, considering deer hunting season started just a couple of weeks ago, I'm not surprised to see a lack of .30-30 ammo lying around.
Currently supplies were probably all bought up by hunters.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top