Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

338 lapua has any one shot this round

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by johngeigle, May 7, 2013.

1. johngeigle

johngeigle Vancouver WA New Member

Has anyone here shot this round ?
    [video=youtube;UN_zQ16qD0s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=UN_zQ16qD0s[/video]

2. MarkAd

MarkAd Port Orchard Well-Known Member

IT IS AWESOME. pricey to shoot but worth every smile you get from it.

3. P7id10T

P7id10T Cedar Hills Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Me and my best friend LOVE, LOVE, LOVE shooting my 338 LM. Because of the muzzle break, recoil is about the same as my AR10. Reloading at $1.35/round, it ain't that expensive.

bcdon and (deleted member) like this.
  4. mrblond

mrblond Salem OR Well-Known Member

never shot the 338 LM but I have shot its bigger, slightly meaner brother the 338-378 WM. Its like a laser out to 600ish yards and I was honestly surprised by the recoil, thought it would be much worse. The major downside is the 6$ a round if you buy factory cartridges.

5. Velzey

Velzey Estacada, Oregon Gunsmith Gunsmith Bronze Vendor Bronze Supporter

I have shot it allot over the past year and a half! Took a bear last year and an elk. Its a bit of an investment to get into, but oh so worth it. Brass lasts and lasts, I have a batch I am testing and I have 17 reloads on them.

Overall performance is amazing. It's nice hitting the steel gong at 1500 meters!

bcdon and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Don H

Don H Oregon Well-Known Member

Wow! That puts some serious hurt on!

7. WilliamIV

WilliamIV Longview, Washington Active Member

I shot my uncles 338 lp. It's a cannon but fun to shoot. Almost felt like shooting the big .50

8. Shooter98

Shooter98 McMinnville, Or. Member

338 LM's rock, but they're barrel burners. Something to think about if you plan on doing lots of shooting with it, not just hunting. The barrel on mine lasted to 1170 rounds fired.

9. mjbskwim

mjbskwim Salmon,Idaho Well-Known Member

338 RUM is essentially the same round and ballistics but at 1/3 the cost

Of course you can't tell everyone you shoot a Lapua

10. Velzey

Velzey Estacada, Oregon Gunsmith Gunsmith Bronze Vendor Bronze Supporter

Yep they are close, but oh so different. I played with the 338 RUM for a long time and liked it. But the Lapua wins overall. The 338 RUM, my main gripe was brass life. Only 5 or so reloads, and they were toast! Thats a huge hunk of brass to be recycling..

But there is the 338 Edge which is a 300 RUM necked up to a 338 and case life, oh nevermind thats a whole different thread...

11. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

Yeah, that's a sweet round but I hear you have to be careful if you plan on shooting on flatlands. I read this article about a Polish sniper who took a long shot, and the round is so strong it circled the globe and him square in the back of the head... that has GOT to be a world record!