JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have been thinking about getting a 357 snubbie for some time. Today I got the ad for Cabelas and noticed they had the taurus 327 for $349.99. seeing that is making me think that the 327 would be a better choise than the 357 for a snub nose.

Have any of you had first hand experiance with the 327 round?
what about the taurus 327?

I prefere S&W but I dont like spending that much money when I can get a taurus for $350, if it is just as good.

No way that Taurus is nearly the quality revolver that Smith and Wesson is. Taurus as others will likely tell you has a very spotty reputation in terms of quality control. Lots of folks will not by one. Just check the reviews. If a dealer told you that Taurus is as good as Smith and Wesson you are dealing with a jerk.

If you want 327 look at Ruger. But, as you will find the 327 ammo can be very hard to come by. 357/38 can be found most anywhere. If you want to put up with the problems getting ammo, look at Ruger's Single actions in 8 round 327 or their SP 101 in 5 shot or their GP 100 in 7 shot. I'd buy a 357 and be able to shoot 38 through it as well.

No way that Taurus is nearly the quality revolver that Smith and Wesson is. Taurus as others will likely tell you has a very spotty reputation in terms of quality control. Lots of folks will not by one. Just check the reviews. If a dealer told you that Taurus is as good as Smith and Wesson you are dealing with a jerk.

If you want 327 look at Ruger. But, as you will find the 327 ammo can be very hard to come by. 357/38 can be found most anywhere. If you want to put up with the problems getting ammo, look at Ruger's Single actions in 8 round 327 or their SP 101 in 5 shot or their GP 100 in 7 shot. I'd buy a 357 and be able to shoot 38 through it as well.

I agree...at least with the revolvers. I've heard of quality issues in the past- but currently Taurus has some pretty good guns. Their automatics are just fine...I had a Taurus Millenium Pro that was just fine. Revolvers- I'd go S&W or Ruger before anything else (hands down). Too expensive? Even then I'd go Rossi or Charter arms before I'd buy a Tuarus revolver.

As was said alreadythe big advantage of going with the .357 is using .38's for practice. I know the shorter .32's will fit the .327 but they aren't cheap or readily available. Plus, I don't think the .327 ammo is all that easy to get either.

The 327 will require reloading if you want to shoot it very much (it will be some time, if ever before there are enough out there to create a demand for the ammo). The specks and ballistics look encouraging but it will still have the muzzle blast of the 357, just not the recoil. In a snubby, I think most people will shoot 32 mag or 32 long just like most people shoot 38 sp in the 357 snubby. It looks like a fun cartridge but will probably be a niche cartridge like the 32 magnum or the 41 magnum (good rounds but not enough followers ). If you go with the 327 mag realize that ammo may be hard to find if you don't reload it. JMHO : Bill

I agree with the aforementioned on the .327 caliber. I read a review on it about two years ago and it really does not offer anything really "new" other than being a "designer" caliber that will no doubt attract those who require the newest thing on the market, much like the the WSM rifle cartridges of a few years back. Stick with a .357 and shoot .38 Specials for fun a practice. I will have to disagree however on the quality of the Taurus revolvers. A friend of mines' girlfriend bought a really nice SS .38 Taurus snubby last year and we took it out to give it a try with some light reloads. This thing will shoot into 3" consistently at 25 yards offhand and the fit and finish is excellent. I am sure there are some horror stories about Taurus from the the past but this one, as well as others I look at in shops are tight and well finished.

Step up to the plate and buy a .357 and shoot either .38 or .357 out of it. Ruger has a darling SP 101 in 2" and 3". I shoot the 3" and it is a great gun and will be so for several lifetimes if taken care of. Smith makes several J-frame including the Model 60 but these are considerably lighter than Ruger which is built like a tank.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top