JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking into getting a new revolver and I was thinking about getting a .327 Federal. I haven't been able to shoot one however and it seems like they're not the most common gun yet (I know it's a newer caliber). I was wondering if anyone out there has one and what they think of it.

And, if anyone knows where I can get a good deal on one, that would be great too. Thanks!

I've never used or owned one, but I've heard great things about the cartridge, and you can also shoot .32 H&R mag, .32 S&W long, and .32 S&W, which gives you a lot of flexibility.

My girlfriend bought the SP101/327 about 3 months ago. She and I both love it. We haven't had any problems with it (like those mentioned on rugerforum). The alternative rounds for it are great to practice with and the ballistics on the .327 round are great! I haven't had any trouble find ammo for it either (see Midway.com), like most of the popular rounds.

I also have the .357. We will never get rid of either of these guns. You can't go wrong with any SP101. I highly recommend them.

I'm a little late getting onto this Thread but right now Ruger seems to be the ONLY current(Quality) manufacturer of firearms for this Cartridge but there are hopes that the Smith & Wesson Company will finally get on the Bandwagon with a nice 6, 7 or even an 8 Shooter for this cartridge. The Marlin folks produced their fine M-1895 Rifle for the 'shorter cousin' called the .32 H&R Magnum but this Rifle lends it nicely to rechambering to the .327! Ruger has announced they will be offering their Blackhawk in this caliber but then Ruger is well known to "Announce" 'things' that never get produced. I think that Ruger would have a much larger market in using the Single Six as the basis for their new gun but then rechambering current Single Six pistols to this caliber is simply not cost effective as the cylinder would need to be longer that the "Standard" and would also be in high demand - in my opinion.

S&W does chamber a pistol in 327 Fed Mag. So does Charter Arms. The 327 basically duplicates the old 30M1 cartridge. Plan on spending some money on ammo. Even though the 327 has great compatibility with other cartridges, none of them are cheap nor widely available.

Yes, I had forgotten about the little "J" Frame 632. I've fired both of the two designs they brought out on that Frame and found neither to be compatible with my Arthritic hands. They aren't as bad as the .357 Magnums with Heavy Bullet Loads but then I don't believe there is any value to a VERY short barrel with "Either" cartridge. And, I seen way too many failures of Charter Arms firearms to consider them a competitor in this market. I want something I can shoot and not just carry around. The day I "tested" the two Smith guns one of the other shooters managed to have a "failure" with the Charter Arms before it became my turn.

I also got to fire a "K" Frame Model 16-4 that had been rechambered to the .327 and was very pleased to say the least! I wouldn't consider doing a rechambering of a Model 16-4, but that didn't stop me from enjoying the gun that was. Last I heard S&W was planning to 'drop' the "J" Frame because of lack of Sales - their usual reason. One can Only hope that the "K" Frame is coming soon.

S&W does chamber a pistol in 327 Fed Mag. So does Charter Arms. The 327 basically duplicates the old 30M1 cartridge. Plan on spending some money on ammo. Even though the 327 has great compatibility with other cartridges, none of them are cheap nor widely available.

I thought Charter Arms dropped this from their lineup some time ago?

No longer listed on their site, you might find one at a dealer though.

While I am an 01 FFL, I have never bothered to "watch" what Charter Arms is/was doing. I made a few $$$s repairing/rebuilding their guns over the years, but if I had charged what my "Costs" actually were the Customers could have bought a Quality S&W, Colt or Ruger for the price. And, if the example of the .327 we had for 'testing' is any example, then things haven't changed - in MY mind. This was in 2007 and the guns were all NIB. Smith was getting close to 'closing' their Final Fitting Department - which they have done - because of the high quality of the CNC parts being turned out.

About the ONLY really "cheap" ammo out there right now is the Russian/Soviet made junk with Steel Casing and even some Steel Cored Bullets in .7.62 x 39mm. But it is my opinion that this stuff is being used commonly as a cheapo "Bullet Resistant" Vest. If you load up a half dozen 30 round Steel AK Magazines and put them into a "Vest" type carrier; such as those that have been around since the gun was first designed, well, you will find that this will stop the average bullet coming out of an M-4! And, many of the magazines can be repaired and reused and any ammo that hasn't taken a direct hit will likely still fire. A double layer of these vests will likely stop even a .308 Winchester/7.62 x 51mm NATO round at any distance over 200 meters or so.

Well, I'm getting off the track here but then I've been known to do that. I have plans on rechambering one of my Marlins to the .327 and since it is already topped with one of the 6X William Malcom "Retro" Scopes mounted on it, well, it is just about ready for the Next Battle of Adobe Walls!!!

And, if anyone knows where I can get a good deal on one, that would be great too. Thanks!
Last time I talked to Brad691, he had a NIB Ruger stainless GP100 in .327 Mag that he was willing to deal on. I think someone ordered it then never picked it up. He's an Oregon FFL, so you'd have to run it through Coctailer for the Washington transfer, but it might be worth a couple PM's.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top