JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I just picked up a model 64 Winchester lever action of the .32 WS persuasion.
I got a great deal on it that I couldn't let pass by. I've only found very limited supply of ammo for this rifle as of yet. Is it worth my time to look into reloading? Or should I just hang that baby on the wall and not waste my time and gas looking for ammo. It's a great rifle in near perfect shape considering it's age (made in '36), and shoots awesome.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again

Lucky bum! I actually just had some 32 Win SPL ammo for sale. Had it up for 3-4 weeks and no one wanted it so I broke them down and resized them for 30-30 loading. I had never even heard of 32 win spl until just a few months ago. If you want shoot it I would recommend looking into reloading for it. Bummer thing is, RN .32cal bullets are pretty rare.

Lol. Now that I think about it I saved all the bullets I pulled. You can have them. I'll trade you one for one with 30-30 brass. I think I have 18 or 19, probably in the 150-170gr range.

Ammo is in current production for this gun, I think winchester, and hornady have current loadings for this, and I've seen old dusty boxes of it on gun store shelves many times over the years. Despite the odd-caliber size, you can use any of the common bullets that are used in .32-40 (.321") you can also take 8mm bullets, and size them down to .321" (otherwise they're .323).

Since you just got the gun, I would focus more on buying ammo so you have a good supply of brass. If you're interested, I know grizzly cartridge sells a .321" flat-point gas checked bullet of ~170gr which would be perfect for a mild loading.

Thanks for the input fellas.
I'll keep your offers in mind. There is a set of dyes at a local shop I plan on getting just so I have them. I have a few friends who do reloading, so that route is an option. I personally don't do enough shooting anymore to justify that kind of investment to do my own reloading. I just hope things go back to normal and I can find a few boxes here and there and they won't cost $5 a round.
Thanks again guys.

I have the '94 in 32 special so I notice when it's around and we seem to get it quite a bit up here. So it's plenty available
As far as reloading,how much will you actually shoot this rifle?
My 94 is from the 40-50s and was my father's so I still have his boxes of shells

Looks like I might have to take a drive to the peninsula soon.
To answer your question about the amount of shooting I'll do with THIS gun. I could see myself putting upwards of 60 to 100 rounds thru it a year. Or at least till I get proficient enough that I don't think I'll need the practice. I have several rifles that I only put a few rounds thru each time I go shooting just to make sure I "still got it" if you know what I mean. I mainly like plinkin' and such. I bought the lever action because I love lever actions and didn't have one yet. Each one I was able to shoot became my favorite rifle at that point. With that said, I'll shoot the you know what out of it as long as I can get my hands on some rounds.
My plan is to just hunt them down till I have enough brass to sustain myself. Buying a bag of brass just seems like I'm missing out on most of the fun. I'd rather empty my brass before reloading it. That's not to talk trash in anyway towards those that do buy brass, but I'd rather empty 200 rounds than buy 500 empties.
For now anyways...
So what kind of shape is your Dad's rifle? The one I bought is just beautiful. To think that these guns have lasted so long and are in still in such great working order is awesome to me. Hopefully it'll be just as good when I hand it down to my son.
Maybe someday you can show me your secret .32WS store and we'll go shootin'. Good heads up, thanks!

Mine is in the "usual" shape. Stock has some nicks and is not perfect at all. But he took it to work,in the woods, with him to get dinner. Some patina on the bluing but no rust pits at all.
Heck Swain's just had their big sale so there may not be any ammo there at all,let alone the 32special.But it seems almost as popular as the 30-30.I'm always amazed when there is 5-7 boxes of 32 on the shelves.
I do have some brass and intend on down loading them so I can shoot this.It's probably fine with factory loads,but I don't want to chance it.
And come on up any time to shoot.
Except this weekend while I am working

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews