JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My top secret load is 168gr Sierra BTHP Match with 43.5gr Varget

So far, I've shot 20 rounds of 168 nosler spitzers at 2.805 OAL over 44.6 gr varget with federal primers out of full length sized and trimmed lake city brass in the AR 10 and averaged about 1.4" 100 yd groups on a breezy day. I haven't shot this load in the bolt guns (both of which run an inch or less with remington core lokt) but I'll try them next trip to the range. I'm also going to try some hornady 168 AMAX set up similarly. The AR 10 groups were a little disappointing especially given that all of my 223 loads shoot 1/2" inches out of my jp ar and my cz 527.

Am I correct in thinking that .270 is better for hunting since it is more accurate long distance? Or is there really no difference, since .308 is faster?

Also, if my preference is for less recoil, would that favor the .270?
I know it's been a while since you started this thread. I was in the Marine Corps when they still used the M14. 7.62 NATO, .308. The rifle range was still 1000m back then. I shot 8 out of 10 in the chest, 1 in the arm, and 1 between the arm pit for the only miss on an ECHO target which is the silhouette of a man from the waist up. This was with an old recycled wore out MCRD training rifle open sights military ball ammo. If this isn't accurate enough for you I don't know what is.

Last Edited:
I prefer my 270 but wouldn't hesitate to take a deer at 600yds with either. 308 ammo is cheaper, reloading 270 is fairly economical but still not as cheap as 308. Both will get the job done.

I prefer my 270 but wouldn't hesitate to take a deer at 600yds with either. 308 ammo is cheaper, reloading 270 is fairly economical but still not as cheap as 308. Both will get the job done.
Roger that. If it gets the job done, what does it matter what caliber it is. :) Like one person said, "only as good as ones own skills". I do like the .308 though, of course I'm bias. If someone ask my choice, I'd go .308. Funny thing is, after more then 45 years I still remember the dope on my rifle from Qual' Day. 23 clicks elevation 3 clicks left windage. We had a 5 knot wind blowing left to right.

Last Edited:
Both are outstanding. My preference for hunting normally is the 308 though, but only because there are more bullet options available for reloading. And I hunt in such varied forest conditions here in VT, something that has decent range and brush busting capabilities is a must. I've found the 270 can be deflected more easily through thick brush generally, and 140 gr projectiles are about max for the 270, where as you can go over 200 gr if you want with a 308 if you hunt brush,swamp country. If I'm hunting long open fields a 270 is defiantly my choice,,,,

or just to throw a monkey wrench into the works,,,a 6.5x55 isn't any slouch for open hunting lands and long range shots either, and super light recoil ,,but that's just another monkey wench. There's a limited projectile selection there too though.

One SURE WAY to solve that issue is to ,,,,,,,GET BOTH !!!!! :rolleyes::s0090:

Ya,,,;)I like that option, and actually,,having all 3 would be a even better option ! Humm,have I got ya thinking yet? LOL!

If i handed a guy a loaded rifle but kept its chambering a secret and told him to hit a bunch of targets out to 400 yards (which is a long way for most hunters), he'd probably not notice any measurable difference. And for any wise azz who reads that and says "action length", We'll just say the rifle was a Tikka T3. All the same action length.

Most hunters cant hold tight enough in field positions to see the 2 inch difference in drop at 300 yards between the 270 and 308. They might notice the 6 or so inch difference in drop at 400. If you are one of those 5% who can shoot beyond that on game, you'd probably have chosen a different cartridge anyway.

Both are outstanding. My preference for hunting normally is the 308 though, but only because there are more bullet options available for reloading. And I hunt in such varied forest conditions here in VT, something that has decent range and brush busting capabilities is a must. I've found the 270 can be deflected more easily through thick brush generally, and 140 gr projectiles are about max for the 270, where as you can go over 200 gr if you want with a 308 if you hunt brush,swamp country. If I'm hunting long open fields a 270 is defiantly my choice,,,,

or just to throw a monkey wrench into the works,,,a 6.5x55 isn't any slouch for open hunting lands and long range shots either, and super light recoil ,,but that's just another monkey wench. There's a limited projectile selection

Trust me, brush busting is a myth. I have seen a 286gr bullet from a 375 H&H key-hole into an elks neck...with the shot aimed at the shoulder. It depends didnt even go through very heavy brush and it went all cuddywumpus.

The 270 also handles bullets over 140gr quite well. Realoader 26 can get you 3000fps with a 150gr bullet, no problem. Lots of 270 options out there.

As far as there being limited 6.5 bullet options? :s0125::s0092:

I haven't reloaded any 6.5 in quite awhile and with the Creed-more regaining popularity some there may be more options out now but when I was shooting it often only lighter weight bullets were available. I've got down to100-110's if I remember correctly. Just for giggles next time I'm out there and look at just what I do have on the shelf, I really don't remember. I think the heaviest I'd found a few years back was in the 142gr range. Boy if there's anything bigger ,,,they must be one long bugger!!

I don't do as much shooting nowadays after I broke my neck and crushed some nerves, so I don't get in as much shooting as I used to. My neck don't really like much recoil at all or shooting a bunch anymore. Hell I don't think I've had to reload anything in about 10 years now sense I had a pretty generous supply of ammo . I haven't made hardly much of a dent in any of my 30mm cans by what little I shoot big bores nowadays.

I Pretty much just check sight in and the 1-2 rounds I need to fill my buck and doe tags, sadly that's about all the shooting I can get in now.

My 22's , AR's and handguns get a pretty regular work out though. But most all of my other stuff that has any kick at all, has turned into safe queens for the most part. I haven't shot any of my 98's ,Mosins or Springfield's sense I got hurt.

That sucks!!!!!

I haven't reloaded any 6.5 in quite awhile and with the Creed-more regaining popularity some there may be more options out now but when I was shooting it often only lighter weight bullets were available. I've got down to100-110's if I remember correctly. Just for giggles next time I'm out there and look at just what I do have on the shelf, I really don't remember. I think the heaviest I'd found a few years back was in the 142gr range. Boy if there's anything bigger ,,,they must be one long bugger!!

I don't do as much shooting nowadays after I broke my neck and crushed some nerves, so I don't get in as much shooting as I used to. My neck don't really like much recoil at all or shooting a bunch anymore. Hell I don't think I've had to reload anything in about 10 years now sense I had a pretty generous supply of ammo . I haven't made hardly much of a dent in any of my 30mm cans by what little I shoot big bores nowadays.

I Pretty much just check sight in and the 1-2 rounds I need to fill my buck and doe tags, sadly that's about all the shooting I can get in now.

My 22's , AR's and handguns get a pretty regular work out though. But most all of my other stuff that has any kick at all, has turned into safe queens for the most part. I haven't shot any of my 98's ,Mosins or Springfield's sense I got hurt.

That sucks!!!!!

That sounds rough. Sorry to hear you're going through that.

With the popularity of 6.5s among LR match shooters and now the tacticool crowd, there are oodles of 6.5 bullets. Some are as long as golf pencils.

I like both, but I am using 270, 130g Hornady SST for deer. I don't find ammo options to be limiting at all for my requirements. If want to fun shoot or practice more 308 will be cheaper. My hunting partner shoots 308. Both get the job done, shot placement is more of the issue. I use my 300wsm for elk, but that's mostly so she doen't sit in the safe feeling slighted. That is a chambering that is limited in options, frustratingly so at times. And expensive.

Savage 10, Remington 700, Tikka T3.

If you can push your budget just past that, the Ruger Precision Rifle is tough to beat with a street price around $1200. That's the route I went.

I too like both rounds.
To me the shared advantage is the lighter recoil when compared to magnums , coupled with versatility. if i was choosing just 1 i would opt for the .308. Probably in a savage 99F , still good for deer or elk out to 300 yards.

* .270 has about 20% more powder; .308 has about 20% more bullet.

* You won't notice the recoil difference between the two.

* You won't notice the ammo availability difference between the two.

* You won't notice a difference in killing effectiveness between the two, given bullets of similar construction and the same shot placement.

* Inside 300 yards you won't notice the ballistic difference between the two.

* Outside 300 yards, .270 might be easier to hit with due to reduced drop and windage.

* The .308 is a short action while .270 is a long action, so a rifle in .270 has to be maybe an inch longer and a bit heavier to have the same barrel length.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads