JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Gun Verses

Votes: 20 28.2%

Votes: 43 60.6%
  • Other (No 30-06)

Votes: 8 11.3%

• Total voters
That's why you get them when the getting's good.. that's code for have them/keep them for hunting and then don't shoot them at pop cans.
Shouldn't be that difficult to keep a box of twenty laying around.. should last some years on deer/elk.. perhaps twenty.

Yep, as a general rule. I'm sure this is 'normal' for most of you, but when I was relatively new to shooting/owning my own firearms. I used to buy ammunition, go right to the range and blast it all away; saving very little/none. Nowadays, I tend to 'stock' at least 3/4 of the ammunition I buy away, and only use about 1/4 (of said newly purchased) for 'range fun'. Their are still decent ways to train/practice without using up ammo, not that you should never go out and shoot. But use what you have very wisely.

If you buy bulk of 1000 rounds, put aside 200-250 for range and get the most quality out of your practice. Not even talking necessarily JUST for SHTF, but ammunition-scarcity we still see going on right now... Doesn't hurt to stock up while you can for cheap...

Sorry for off topic.

A gun is pretty worthless without ammo. Never shoot all of your ammo unless you absolutely have to.. even driving home from shooting at the range/in the field.

I really like the .270, my dad's been hunting with one for the past 30+ years and killed more animals than i could even image. When i bought mine i wanted a little more spoof to it so i bought the 270wsm.
Can't say anything about the .308 being i've never owned one.

Only reason I went with 308 is same caliber as my battle rifles.otherwise your pops has the right caliber.
270 is also a great caliber.Fast and flat. I read about a guide in Alaska who has had clients * who could shoot* take hundreds of every alaskan game up there with 270s

I bought a Remington 725 .270 in 1960 and hunted with it for 7 years in Arizona, in 1967 I was transferred to Alaska where I hunted with it for 17 more years. In that time period it took prairie dogs, tree rats, coyote, deer, elk, caribou and moose. It did everything I asked of it.

Let me start by saying that I have killed dozens of antelope, deer and elk. In my opinion the best caliber for deer and elk depends upon the terrain you are hunting in. The Bighorns where you can have big winds and big distances I would go with the 7mm mag or 300 Weatherby or win mag. If your in the trees then a 30-06 may be better. The 270 is fine for open ranges and smaller animals. I have shot several elk with one but it simply does not have what I consider sufficient knock down power. It will flatten a deer nicely. But the big question is why would you move away from the 30-06's that you already have? Or is it gunitis? I get that every once in a while and only a new gun will stop the itch.

Nailed it redbobfire! The horror of making oneself have just one. Over a half a century ago my Grandfather offered me a rifle under the stipulation that if I agreed and took it, I would never get another.
After a very short self deliberation and analysis I explained to him that I couldn't do that, he grinned from ear to ear and handed me the rifle, I had passed the test.
Either of those calibers are fine choices, and as you can tell from all the responses, we all have our pets. I have choices from diminutive little waifs that carry like wands to truly huge bang sticks that could stop an Elephant,,, but I would rather eat the rear end out of a BBQ'ed road killed skunk than limit myself to just a choice of just one. Good luck with that.

I would buy a 30-06 over either of the calibers you mentioned. Just like I have for years.
But, if I was "forced" to choose between the two, I'd go for the 270. The .308 is 90-ish percent of the 30-06, more so with lighter bullets, but I like the 180gr in the 30 cal and the 06 does things with a 180gr that the 308 will never do. The 270 will handle a bullet with a high BC very well, and will do it with less wind drift and drop than a 308 can.
However, you can buy cheaper practice ammo for the 308.
Honestly, you will be well served with either.

Yep, I have taken deer at 357 yards with my .270 win. Bullet hit the hole I was aiming for. Great round. Use it for elk too. 140 grain is good for both. Of course, bullet placement is everything. Not knocking the .308, just no experience with it.

Let me start by saying that I have killed dozens of antelope, deer and elk. In my opinion the best caliber for deer and elk depends upon the terrain you are hunting in. The Bighorns where you can have big winds and big distances I would go with the 7mm mag or 300 Weatherby or win mag. If your in the trees then a 30-06 may be better. The 270 is fine for open ranges and smaller animals. I have shot several elk with one but it simply does not have what I consider sufficient knock down power. It will flatten a deer nicely. But the big question is why would you move away from the 30-06's that you already have? Or is it gunitis? I get that every once in a while and only a new gun will stop the itch.

Yeah, I love the .270 (perfect for what I need), but, honestly, a .30-06 will due about the same job, maybe even with more versatility considering the range of rounds you can fire (.270 is pretty much 130-150grn, many more options with .30-06). I grew up in Alaska and almost everyone I knew had a .30-06. You can use it effectively on anything you can think of. If I only had the cash for one rifle that would be the one.

The gain of either .270 or .308 over .30-06 is minimal. Got to go bigger or smaller, depending on what you are after. My choice for bigger would be .300 win mag (high velocity, flat shooting, hard hitting), smaller (there really isn't a reason to go smaller considering I've heard of .30-06 rounds going down to 90 grn) .243 win (one of the most perfect deer rounds ever as far as I am concerned, and I have never owned one).

There are two that come to mind. The 25-06, we have taken many Elk with it. It's a very versatile cartridge, flat fast and with the many different premium bullet choices available, very deadly across the board within its range. The 6mm Remington is another. Better than the .243 in every facet, yet an under appreciated and over looked cartridge since its inception. It's downfall was that it was called a millimeter during a time when folks here in the great USofA disliked any cartridge that had millimeter behind it's name. I agree with Phillyfan, you can't beat the venerable -06 for an every day cartridge. But that's the thing isn't it? choices, choices.

Let me start by saying all these guns that have been mentioned will work nicely. I own them all and have tested all in the field hunting.
Bottom line is, they produced dead animals! find the gun that is most comfortable for your style of hunting and one that fits you. The rest really won't matter. All said and done when I go hunting it seem's that I like to grab my 270 first. My dad always hunted with his 308 even though I purchased him a new 7 mag. Bottom line he knew the gun and repeatly took elk.

While a .270 is an excellent choice for a deer rifle, it is on the lightER side of elk rifles. It is perfectly adequate for elk in the ranges that you mention, but I think you would be better served with a .270 as a strickly deer/class 2 game rifle.

Given that you wish to be able to hunt elk and deer with one caliber, I think you would be better served with a .308.

Keep in mind that the .270 is, last time I checked, the number one selling bolt action rifle hunting caliber.

Bullet drop is a fact of life, no matter what caliber. You have to memorize bullet drop per yardage. no matter what you shoot. .308 has a wide range of radially available projectiles for every shooting or hunting scenario. It also has better knock down power because it's wider. Also, If you reload - you can use the same projectiles in your .30-06 or .300 Win Mag - To name just a few. This keeps things simpler.

All of the normal everyday rounds, both non magnum as well as magnum that make say 2600 fps (or so) that you seen at Bimart every Lucky Number Thursday is going to do more or less the same thing. Given good shot placement and no Act Of God unexpected crazy bubblegum is going to down your animal in more or less the same fashion. They arent gonna know the difference at any reasonable difference. (400 yds or less) If you make sniper distance kills, congrats on your skill and work. You are in the 1%. The rest of us......these caliber discussions have been going on since Elmer Keith or Jesus was a young buck and will likely never end with anyone ever agreeing about much of anything. Why do we do it ? How can we justify it ? Because its bubbleguming fun. Theres your bottom line. Buy em all and shoot the ones you like....thats my motto.

Have a pleasant evening.

Clambo

Over a half a century ago my Grandfather offered me a rifle under the stipulation that if I agreed and took it, I would never get another.

After a very short self deliberation and analysis I explained to him that I couldn't do that, he grinned from ear to ear and handed me the rifle, I had passed the test..

Sounds like just the sort of Grandfather I hope to be one day!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top