Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

308 vs. 270

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by Freyzen227, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Freyzen227

Freyzen227 Idaho New Member

Hello, so I'm looking into getting a new gun. I can't decide wether I need a .270 or a .308 my pops has 2 30-06's so I don't want another. What I want from the rifle is a gun to take down deer, but I want it to be able to take down an elk when I go. My shots won't be anything above 300 yards. If there is another caliber you would suggest let me know.
    Thanks in advanced.

2. DieselScout

DieselScout S Clackamas County Well-Known Member

For what you are doing either is a great choice. I tend to like the 7mm-08 over the .308, but there is better ammo selection for the .308. Personally I'd go .308 as I have never been a huge fan of the .270. I have no good reason not to be a fan, just figured you might as well do .30-06 I'd your doing long action.

3. 3MTA3

3MTA3 DMZ between Liberty and Tyranny Behind Enemy Lines Bronze Supporter

7mm-08 or 280 would be my recommendation - check the ballistics. That said, can you go wrong with the 270 or 308? Not a chance.

4. JRuby

JRuby St. Helens Oregon Well-Known Member

What type of action ( bolt, lever, semi ) are you looking at for this new rifle?

5. jluck

jluck Really,Really, Close to Newport Oregon 97365 Voted #1 Member

6.5x284
    7mm Remington mag. Really the baby of the mag family and a great crossover and all around cartridge for deer, elk and bear, with huge ammo availability and selection. Also not a punishing round to shoot compared to the "real" mags. I love mine!

3MTA3 and (deleted member) like this.
  6. orygun

orygun West Linn Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I would buy a 30-06 over either of the calibers you mentioned. Just like I have for years.
    But, if I was "forced" to choose between the two, I'd go for the 270. The .308 is 90-ish percent of the 30-06, more so with lighter bullets, but I like the 180gr in the 30 cal and the 06 does things with a 180gr that the 308 will never do. The 270 will handle a bullet with a high BC very well, and will do it with less wind drift and drop than a 308 can.
    However, you can buy cheaper practice ammo for the 308.
    Honestly, you will be well served with either.

7. JRuby

JRuby St. Helens Oregon Well-Known Member

For a bolt deer rifle I would choose a 270 in a bolt - I have one it never goes deer hunting my FN Mauser in 7X57 goes more places than any of my other rifles do.

8. Backfire

Backfire Tualatin, OR Active Member

As a handloader who appreciates the broad spectrum of .30 caliber bullets and the versatility of the .308 Win., I'd have to go with that as a choice. The .270 Win is a fine cartridge, but I usually gravitate toward thirty caliber and .284 (7mm) cartridges.

9. sterzenbach

sterzenbach Bend Oregon Active Member

From what I have gathered competing with my buddy(him 270 me .308) .308 holds better longer range, cheaper ammo, and a wider range of uses. As in handloading, cases are easier to find, bullets are easier to find, and there's a broad spectrum of powders available. .308 FTW!

10. KillerBD

KillerBD Oak Harbor, WA Member

I voted .308, its pretty widely available, not too expensive either.

I have been eyeing a few bolt-action rifles in .300 Win Mag, for some long-range shooting fun. I'm not really a hunter though, but I think this would be another fine option.

11. Jamie6.5

Jamie6.5 Western OR Well-Known Member

For hunting, I'd say go with the .270.
    It will kill anything a .308 will, at your specified range(s) and farther.
    It is capable of duplicating the .300 Win Mag's ballistic trajectory, with bullets of the same sectional density.
    Reloading is straightforward, using the most common powders there are.
    There are proven reload recipes using as wide a variety of powders as any cartridge out there.

And when ammo and/or reloading components get scarce, you won't have to compete with the mall ninjas for something to shoot through it.

12. jluck

jluck Really,Really, Close to Newport Oregon 97365 Voted #1 Member

This is good advice. Also consider bullet choice. A properly matched bullet to rifle/barrel twist and quarry will make a smaller rifle perform like a mag.

13. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

A model 7 Remington in .308 is a dandy rig. There's more .308 ammo than all other of those mentioned combined.

14. erudne

erudne The Pie Matrix PPL Say Sleeping W/Your Rifle Is A bad Thing? Bronze Supporter

I have a 270 and several 308's in the western woods a 308 is ideal but once out of the woods the 270 is excellent, especially w/handloads. Therre are fewer powders that work in the 270.
    There is also the 280 Rem.
    If I was going after Moose, 300WM is the ticket.

15. winmag

winmag Hillsboro New Member

I'm voting .270 Win, but with the caveat that you'd only shoot high quality bullets for elk or anything bigger/meaner (by "high quality" I mean whichever of these bullets shoots more accurately in your particular rifle: Partition, Accubond, Trophy Bonded Bear Claw, A-Frame, Scirocco, Barnes Triple shock, etc.)

16. clambo

clambo Vancouver, Wa. Well-Known Member

Deer or elk wont know the difference and you will go insane before this question is resolved definitively. But thats half the fun. The. 308 will usually be slightly more benchrest accurate due to shorter powder column and shorter, stiffer action, and magic. The. 270 kills deer like a lightning bolt usually, sort of magical too. I guess I lean like 1% towards the. 270.

orygun and (deleted member) like this.
  17. gaijinsamurai

gaijinsamurai Beaverton Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

I voted for the .308, but it is a matter of personal preference. Personally, I like .30-06 for one "do everything" caliber (in the lower 48, of course) and if it is strictly deer, 6.5x55 Swede.

orygun and (deleted member) like this.
  18. hsullyc

hsullyc North coast,Nehalem,OR Member

This deer season I could get 270 bullets everywhere but 308 and other short action cartridges were scarce.

erudne and (deleted member) like this.
  19. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

That's why you get them when the getting's good.. that's code for have them/keep them for hunting and then don't shoot them at pop cans.
    Shouldn't be that difficult to keep a box of twenty laying around.. should last some years on deer/elk.. perhaps twenty.

20. Martini_Up

Martini_Up NW USA Well-Known Member

if you're not loading your own, i would go 270 as when the next ammo shortage hits, the 308 is gone before the 270 is. I also prefer the 270 being fast and flat, more than the 308.