JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Gun Verses

Votes: 20 28.2%

Votes: 43 60.6%
  • Other (No 30-06)

Votes: 8 11.3%

• Total voters
Reactions
Hello, so I'm looking into getting a new gun. I can't decide wether I need a .270 or a .308 my pops has 2 30-06's so I don't want another. What I want from the rifle is a gun to take down deer, but I want it to be able to take down an elk when I go. My shots won't be anything above 300 yards. If there is another caliber you would suggest let me know.
Thanks in advanced.

For what you are doing either is a great choice. I tend to like the 7mm-08 over the .308, but there is better ammo selection for the .308. Personally I'd go .308 as I have never been a huge fan of the .270. I have no good reason not to be a fan, just figured you might as well do .30-06 I'd your doing long action.

7mm-08 or 280 would be my recommendation - check the ballistics. That said, can you go wrong with the 270 or 308? Not a chance.

I would buy a 30-06 over either of the calibers you mentioned. Just like I have for years.
But, if I was "forced" to choose between the two, I'd go for the 270. The .308 is 90-ish percent of the 30-06, more so with lighter bullets, but I like the 180gr in the 30 cal and the 06 does things with a 180gr that the 308 will never do. The 270 will handle a bullet with a high BC very well, and will do it with less wind drift and drop than a 308 can.
However, you can buy cheaper practice ammo for the 308.
Honestly, you will be well served with either.

For a bolt deer rifle I would choose a 270 in a bolt - I have one it never goes deer hunting my FN Mauser in 7X57 goes more places than any of my other rifles do.

As a handloader who appreciates the broad spectrum of .30 caliber bullets and the versatility of the .308 Win., I'd have to go with that as a choice. The .270 Win is a fine cartridge, but I usually gravitate toward thirty caliber and .284 (7mm) cartridges.

From what I have gathered competing with my buddy(him 270 me .308) .308 holds better longer range, cheaper ammo, and a wider range of uses. As in handloading, cases are easier to find, bullets are easier to find, and there's a broad spectrum of powders available. .308 FTW!

I voted .308, its pretty widely available, not too expensive either.

I have been eyeing a few bolt-action rifles in .300 Win Mag, for some long-range shooting fun. I'm not really a hunter though, but I think this would be another fine option.

For hunting, I'd say go with the .270.
It will kill anything a .308 will, at your specified range(s) and farther.
It is capable of duplicating the .300 Win Mag's ballistic trajectory, with bullets of the same sectional density.
Reloading is straightforward, using the most common powders there are.
There are proven reload recipes using as wide a variety of powders as any cartridge out there.

And when ammo and/or reloading components get scarce, you won't have to compete with the mall ninjas for something to shoot through it.

For hunting, I'd say go with the .270.
It will kill anything a .308 will, at your specified range(s) and farther.
It is capable of duplicating the .300 Win Mag's ballistic trajectory, with bullets of the same sectional density.
Reloading is straightforward, using the most common powders there are.
There are proven reload recipes using as wide a variety of powders as any cartridge out there.

And when ammo and/or reloading components get scarce, you won't have to compete with the mall ninjas for something to shoot through it.

This is good advice. Also consider bullet choice. A properly matched bullet to rifle/barrel twist and quarry will make a smaller rifle perform like a mag.

I have a 270 and several 308's in the western woods a 308 is ideal but once out of the woods the 270 is excellent, especially w/handloads. Therre are fewer powders that work in the 270.
There is also the 280 Rem.
If I was going after Moose, 300WM is the ticket.

I'm voting .270 Win, but with the caveat that you'd only shoot high quality bullets for elk or anything bigger/meaner (by "high quality" I mean whichever of these bullets shoots more accurately in your particular rifle: Partition, Accubond, Trophy Bonded Bear Claw, A-Frame, Scirocco, Barnes Triple shock, etc.)

Deer or elk wont know the difference and you will go insane before this question is resolved definitively. But thats half the fun. The. 308 will usually be slightly more benchrest accurate due to shorter powder column and shorter, stiffer action, and magic. The. 270 kills deer like a lightning bolt usually, sort of magical too. I guess I lean like 1% towards the. 270.

I voted for the .308, but it is a matter of personal preference. Personally, I like .30-06 for one "do everything" caliber (in the lower 48, of course) and if it is strictly deer, 6.5x55 Swede.

That's why you get them when the getting's good.. that's code for have them/keep them for hunting and then don't shoot them at pop cans.
Shouldn't be that difficult to keep a box of twenty laying around.. should last some years on deer/elk.. perhaps twenty.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top