JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ruger M77 not wanting to chamber re-loads (bolt won't shut). Brand new RCBS carbide dies, once fired commercial brass. Trimmed below maximum length. Overall length with bullet is well under maximum, tried to chamber empty round and still won't chamber.
Never had this happen with previous calibers or guns. Any suggestions? Thanks

The shoulder of the case is not sized sufficiently. Your sizer die needs to be screwed in another 1/8 to 1/4 of a turn. You can measure your sized cases with a RCBS precision mic to properly adjust the sizer die. A very valuable tool for reloading bottle neck rifle cases is the RCBS precision mic. This tool will measure from the base of the case to the datum point on the shoulder. You can compare new, sized and fired cases. For a bolt gun you can size it just a little less than the fired case measurement. I shoot semi auto 308 match rifle so I size all my 308 5 thousands below '0' or what a new 308 factory cartridge measures.

RCBS Precision Mic 308 Winchester

It's possible that you slightly crushed/bulged the case at the shoulder if you had the seating die turned down a little too far. But if you have the same problem with a sized, but empty brass I would agree that the sizer die isn't screwed down far enough. Make sure that the die is contacting the shell holder when the ram is at the top of it's travel.

Do you have a case gage for your caliber? Check your sized brass to see if it is meeting specs!
On Midwayusa's site, one brand is called: L.E. Wilson Case Length Headspace Gage 308 Winchester
In real life production runs, both dies and chambers run minimum to maximum and if you get a combo that is on the edge both ways you can get this problem. In the past, I have run into a very tight chamber that required removing material from the bottom of my sizer die so I could screw it down to get a resized case to 'fit'. You can always contact your die manufacturer and get their experienced input.

BTW: By definiition, match grade rifles aren't built to the same specs as your otc rifles, in that case you're in a different league.

I have a L. E. Wilson case gauge for 308. It would not detect the problem with the brass shoulder not being sized enough. The sized round would fit into the case gauge but would not chamber in my match grade M1A? The sizer die can be adjusted 1/8 of a turn, or more past the point of contact with the shell holder. It will 'cam over'. I load for the
308, 30/06 & 223 using the RCBS precision mic to adjust the sizer die.

Just out of curiosity, are you trying to crimp while seating? This can often cause similar problems as various bulges will form if the die is not adjusted properly.

As for Case Gauges, there are two types. One is the common "Headspace/Length" gauge like the Wilson. They won't show if the case has any bulges along the body as they only check headspace and overall case length. A far better gauge is one that was cut with a chamber reamer. Many of he Bench Rest Shooters will have one they made by having he Gunsmith just use a piece of scrap barrel stock and ream out a "checking chamber". There are some like this made by EGW but all I've seen so far are for .223.

In short, just because it will fit in a Wilson type case gauge it doesn't mean it will automatically fit in your rifle.

Possibilities:

1. Overcrimped bullet while seating causing partial shoulder collapse at case shoulder and case body juncture. Back off your crimp.

2. Your sizing die is not adjusted properly. Screw your sizing die in until it touches your shellholder, then lower the press ram and turn the die in 1/8 - 1/4 turn more so the press ram "cams over" at the top of the press stroke.

Tries a number of things. I appreciate the advice. Looks like it could be a bad die. Tried a different die from a friend and the shells chamber just fine (just a few rounds). I will work on this more tomorrow. Thanks for all the ideas

Are you feeding these from the magazine or just dropping them in one at a time from above?

I have a friend back east that says his bolt won't always close (M77) unless the rounds feed from the mag, because the extractor won't slip over the rim on the case. He says he noticed that it's worse with reloads.
When the round comes up out of the mag the rim slides up behind the extractor, and all works fine.

Just a thought.

Frankly I don't care if anyone searches first on not. If I can answer the question why not. Sometimes all a search does is bring up a bunch of posts that just include the search word and not an answer to the question.

Search for .308, Chambering, and OAL, you'll often get a thousand posts, each with only one of those words.

For those that might be intimidated, go ahead and ask away. More than a few will just answer if they can.

Well he mentioned a carbide sizing die. Last time I checked carbide sizer's were all neck only for bottleneck cartridges. Have these cases been fire formed to this rifle?

Dillon offers a Carbide Full Length Carbide sizing die in .308, also in .223 for high volume use. The Carbide sizing dies are different in design than those for straight walled pistol or some straight wall rifle cases. The carbide rifle dies still need lube, they just don't wear like a regular die would if one is producing thousands of rounds per day on a daily basis.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top