JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Tried out some of the blue plastic .308 Dag training rounds tonight. With a 100 yard zero on my scope shooting at the 50 yard line it shot quite well (dead on), right around an inch and a half. Cheap trigger time to say the least. Had zero problems with extraction, 2 duds out of 12 rounds shot. At $89 for 500, not a bad way to practice, much more enjoyable than dry firing.:s0155:

Ikona, I'll bite... where did you get it, and what are you shooting it out of? After doing a bit of reading, it seems these are German training rounds often used in the G3. But if you only shot 12 rounds, I'm guessing you had a bolt gun. Any failures to extract due to the smaller case head?

Ikona, I'll bite... where did you get it, and what are you shooting it out of? After doing a bit of reading, it seems these are German training rounds often used in the G3. But if you only shot 12 rounds, I'm guessing you had a bolt gun. Any failures to extract due to the smaller case head?

markw76 gave me a box of 50 to try, I believe they are sold on the internet, you will have to google DAG blue training .308. No problems with extraction (only tried 12 rounds) out of my Rem 700p w/ 26" barrel. I am hoping that TCGC will allow me to shoot them at the silhouette range since they are plastic. They are not the cure all answer to replace the standard rounds but I think that they will work for trigger time, I hate laying around dry firing.

I finally got out to shoot a few myself last Wednesday with Walkenbear (if he ever gets his PC working well enough to register here, he's a pretty good guy). Shot 50 out of an M1A/GI barrel, hand cycled them and the oprod kicked a bit with each round, but didn't unlock the bolt. I think a mod to make them work is futile: lightening the spring would allow the empty to eject but it wouldn't be able to chamber the next one IMO. Thermold mags are a must. The plastic rounds dragged a bit on GI steel feedlips but worked very slick in a plastic mag.

Started out standing about 15 yards from our target holder and put 1 round dead-on at the intersection of the 2 black lines Bear put on paper for the target. Dang, I shoulda bought a lottery ticket. I was pretty wobbly, as always, but when I moved back to 25 yards, everything stayed pretty close to a 3 inch circle in spite of the wobbles, leaning against the truck, standing, and shooting out the window.

We had 49 rounds work with no issues. All extracted fine, despite the slightly smaller diameter. One failed to extract, and the Bear had a bit of fun trying to use his foot, then a rock and a block of wood to encourage it out. (He fired it, not me!) We never figured out why it did that. Maybe unburned powder got under the extractor and interfered with it, but that wouldn't explain why the empty was stubborn coming out. All 50 fired their 10gr plastic "projectiles" satisfactorily otherwise. They penetrated 1/2" of OSB at 25yds, but would not go through a second one. I recovered one. Nicely mushroomed!

The chamber, bore, bolt, and receiver area were well dusted with unburnt finely grained powder. I suspect it is a fast pistol powder.

All in all, well worth the $168/1000 pricetag, that includes shipping from Wideners, if you get them there. No connection, good outfit to deal with.

I've had a setup to shoot this stuff out of my G3 since early March.

It is a hoot.

In order to get it to function in a G3, you need to get the "Umlaut" bolt from Dan's Ammo. It's basically a skeletonized G3 bolt/carrier that is NON-locking and has a slightly smaller case-head recess in the face.

(Not my pic)
762_practice.jpg

I also did a writeup over on ARF but here's the reprint:
A couple of weeks ago I got some of that German blue plastic short range ammo and Bolt/Bolt carrier from Dans Ammo
While others report zero issues I was dumbfounded as I was not able to get it to run at all in my G3. I was getting fail to eject and double feeds every single time.

I tried several (5) stocks thinking there my G3 was shortstroking- I even switched the recoil spring to one from an AK. Still no workie.

Then, yesterday I remembered something my friend (known everywhere by his nic "NoHair") taught me. I inspected the relationship between the bolt head and the ejector. I pulled the bolt rearward just to the point to where the ejector makes it's appearance in that slot in the bottom of the bolt. Guess what. There is ZERO way the ejector was even touching the rim (let alone the base) of the cartridge. It should be WAY higher. Keep in mind that you're already a little disadvantaged with the ejector reach because the case head is a little smaller diameter than regular 308...

So, I fiddled around and tried a few different ejectors (all 308). Guess what- the HK factory is amazingly consistent regarding their production of G3 ejectors.

Then I looked at the heighth of the sear pack. I had already shimmed it up in the plastic housing as far as it could go, and frankly, shimming from the inside of the pack is of limited value since the pack is essentially cross-pinned by the selector. Next I installed the pack in the housing and put it on the gun. Wiggle wiggle wiggle at the front of the pack (up and down). This was the problem.....

So, NoHair and I dug around and found the lower trigger housing that I got from RTG. I remember he was pretty impressed that they made it so high and tight as opposed to all the other hack clipper and pinners out there.

Guess what?

Watch this:
I'm gonna buy some more of that blue plastic ammo!!
I really like that little fireball and this is FUN STUFF at $0.17/round from Sportsmans Guide

I now have an AA 50rd drum that feeds this stuff. Even more fun!

IMG_0589.jpg

IMG_0594.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews